Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Predator 

What grade would you give this film?
A 63%  63%  [ 10 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 16

Predator 

Post Predator
Predator

Quote:
Predator is a 1987 American science fiction action film directed by John McTiernan, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Carl Weathers, Jesse Ventura, and Kevin Peter Hall. It was distributed by 20th Century Fox.

The story follows an elite special forces team, led by 'Dutch' (Arnold Schwarzenegger), on a mission to rescue hostages from guerrilla territory in Central America. Unbeknownst to the group, they are being hunted by a technologically advanced form of extraterrestrial life, the Predator.

Predator was scripted by Jim and John Thomas in 1985, under the working title of Hunter. Filming began in April 1986 and creature effects were devised by Stan Winston. The film's budget was around $15 million and when the film was released in the United States on June 12, 1987, it grossed $98,267,558.

Initial critical reaction to Predator was mixed, with criticism focusing on the thin plot. However, in subsequent years critics' attitudes toward the film warmed, and it has appeared on a number of "best of" lists. Two sequels, Predator 2 (1990) and Predators (2010), as well as two crossover films with the Alien franchise, Alien vs. Predator (2004) and Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007), have been produced.

Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:06 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

One of the greatest action movies ever made and my favorite arnold flick.

****/****

A+

Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

What a Great time for Sciene Fiction Action Films, Aliens the year before and then Predator. So brilliantly executed, all the acting was great, and this is the film that actually made Arnold the huge star he was.

Truly an awesome action, sci fi film.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:32 pm
George A. Romero

One of, if not the best Schwarzenegger film. Also one of the best Sci-Fi movies ever made

A+

Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:58 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Best Action movie ever made. Killer main theme as well

A+

Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm
You must have big rats

As the guys above me have said, one of the best sci-fi-actioners ever made and one of Arnie's very best efforts. Immensly entertaining and always rewatchable.

Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Rented this today, it was my first time ever seeing it. This film is flat out sick, Its more entertaining than Men in Black, Speed, and plenty of other action films. Its stunning how good this film was.

the second best Sci Fi action film ever, just behind Terminator 2: Judgment Day

A+

Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:17 pm
Mod Team Leader

10/10

Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I actually find this to be a rather generic action movie and, if not for the Predator, I probably wouldn't even enjoy it. There's not a lot to this film other than big explosions and lots of shooting. Now, while that may be all there is, it is very well-done. It never lets up with the action and it's always entertaining. But the characters are paper-thin, the story is very weak, and the dialogue barely consists of more than grunts and yells. The Predator itself is an ingenious creation, though, and that's what makes this film good. All the amazing technology it possesses, combined with its monstrous exterior and angry demeanour - makes for a great movie creature. I love its laugh just as its about to self-destruct. Overall, a good but rather unimpressive action flick.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:41 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Post Re: Predator
Extremely entertaining action movie with Arnold in it's prime. The last 20 minutes are brilliant. A-

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:45 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I watched this when I was about 13 and totally into stupid jungle action movies and monster movies and such and such...even then, I knew it sucked. I was so dreadfully disappointed.

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:54 am
Superman: The Movie

Fun, but overrated.

B+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:13 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Go figure, I was enthralled by The Ice Storm and The New World and bored to tears by Predator. I'm slowly turning to THE DARK SIDE. :unsure:

I just thought it was an average and predictable action movie. The Predator takes too long to show up, and whenever he isn't on screen and the movie relys on the characters(if you can call them that), the movie and the dialogue is just insanely uninteresting.

Even when he isn't on screen, I wasn't at all impressed by the shooting and shit blowing up itself, I felt like I'd seen most of the action sequences before, save maybe when they demolish the jungle for a minute straight. I also felt like I knew exactly which characters would die and in what order. Arnold and the girl survive? ... Yeah, I really didn't see that one coming.

I think the ending would've been cooler if the Predator blew them both up. "Mwha ha ha ha"... *Arnold shocked face*... "KABOOM!!!" They'd never do that though.

Weird thing is, I'm a huge fan of Commando. I guess the goofy charm of that movie worked, it was fun. Whereas Predator is just boring.

1.5/5

Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:59 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Thank you, Shack. Boring is really the perfect word here. No one's getting uppity and demanding art. Just a little comedy and/or fun action would suffice, I think.

Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:03 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

:er: ................must resist anger!!!

I've already had to deal with Yos and Roo double teaming me on Predator, instead I shall be sending vials of anthrax to each one of you. :yes:

Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:06 am
Commander and Chef

predator is the epitomy of action flicks.

Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:39 pm
You must have big rats

I'm terribly sorry about the loss of your penis, Shack. :(

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

A. I saw this on sale at wal-mart today. After reading this thread. I'm buying it. Anyone male who doesn't like this movie is not a man.

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:13 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Dr. Lecter wrote:
I'm terribly sorry about the loss of your penis, Shack. :(

:hahaha:

Brilliant Man.

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:32 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Thrilling, intense, somewhat scary, and the Predator rocks.

A-

Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:59 pm
now we know

I just watched this for the umpteenth time. Obviously it's an action and sci-fi classic, but it's also a men-on-a-mission adventure horror too. I feel Stallone took a lot from Predator when creating The Expendables franchise (even the fact that they mention the word a few times - Dillon says "You're an expendable asset", Dutch replies "My men are not expendable" - which is just fantastic because it's also used in Rambo First Blood Part II). They have their wisecracks (although not as blatant as The Expendables franchise), but what Predator has that The Expendables doesn't is characters. Each one is different. Barney and co. are all pretty alike. Aside from their weaponry choices, they are all the same in attitude. But in Predator they are all different. Billy is the spiritual believer, the one that seems at one with nature and himself (hence he's the tracker). Hawkins is the funny one, the guy tells jokes and reads comics. Dillon is the "agency spook" (to quote The Expendables 3) with an agenda. Blain is the macho, ignorant Yank that you could just imagine in a bar or lifting weights on Miami Beach while checking out the hot ass. Mac is the cool and quiet type. Dutch is the leader; ultra-professional and loyal, and leads by example. Ok, Poncho's a bit boring, but at least he speaks Spanish.

I've watched Predator so many times, and each time I love it all over again. Each team member gets ample screen time for their characters to become memorable. The music is suspenseful and just beautiful.

It's funny how this film is pretty loved, but Predator 2 opened worse than it. I guess Schwarzenegger is a bigger pull than Danny Glover, but still. Perhaps the Predator hype didn't start until a few years later.

A+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:21 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next