Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Charlotte's Web 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Charlotte's Web 

Post Charlotte's Web
Charlotte's Web

Quote:
Charlotte's Web is a live-action/computer-animated feature film, based on the popular book of the same name by E. B. White. It is directed by Gary Winick and produced by Paramount Pictures, Walden Media, The K Entertainment Company, and Nickelodeon Movies. The screenplay is by Susannah Grant and Karey Kirkpatrick, based on White's book.

It is the second film adaptation of White's book, preceded by a 1973 cel-animated version produced by Hanna-Barbera for Paramount Pictures. It was distributed in Switzerland, Spain, and Netherlands by Universal Pictures.

This is also Nickelodeon's first G-rated live-action film, and fourth G-rated film altogether (after The Rugrats Movie, Rugrats in Paris: The Movie, and Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius).

Last edited by Nebs on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

Probably the best kids/family film since FINDING NEMO, and the best live action kids/family film since BABE. Films in this genre, rarely strive with this much integrity and have the sentimental bits played with passion. It was actually very sad.

Like the animated version, the film's voice cast is very strong. Dakota is a lot more likable than she has been. Probably the maturity and the fact that the tooth fairy gave her teeth back. Her storyline is probably the biggest change from the book, but its a 'cute' change.

But the film's biggest strength, is the story, which has been kept intact. Friendship.

So go against the crowd and see this film these holidays.

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:37 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

A-

Probably the best kids/family film since FINDING NEMO, and the best live action kids/family film since BABE. Films in this genre, rarely strive with this much integrity and have the sentimental bits played with passion. It was actually very sad.

Like the animated version, the film's voice cast is very strong. Dakota is a lot more likable than she has been. Probably the maturity and the fact that the tooth fairy gave her teeth back. Her storyline is probably the biggest change from the book, but its a 'cute' change.

But the film's biggest strength, is the story, which has been kept intact. Friendship.

So go against the crowd and see this film these holidays.

Go against the crowd?? I can't imagine the crowd going against this movie..

Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

For over half a century, author E.B. White's seminal story of a spider named Charlotte who saves the life of Wilbur, a spring pig destined to become Christmas dinner, has delighted children with its rich imagination, while also teaching them important life lessons. This year, for the first time in history, a live action Charlotte's Web film has been made. Around the world, expectations are high, so the question is: Does the film nosedive... or soar? In my opinion, it's a rousing success, the best family film of the year. Across-the-board perfect casting contributes to the film's top-notch quality. Julia Roberts is especially wonderful as the titular web-weaver, delivering the lines with a gentle, soothing tone. And the visuals, including cinematography and special effects, are spectacular, clever and whimsical. Overall, Charlotte's Web is as good as everyone hoped it to be, if not better. From top to bottom, this is a wonderful achievement you shouldn't miss this holiday season. A.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:32 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

I can't believe no one else has seen this?

For shame!

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:43 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

I can't believe no one else has seen this?

For shame!

Believe it..

Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:45 am
Profile WWW
King Albert!

Nice Adaptation, but the 1973 animated film was still better.

I think they should have gotten Rex Allen Jr. to be the narrator. But now to the film. There isn't really too much new stuff about it, it was pretty much the same as the cartoon version, but with few differences.

Henry Fussy only appears in two scenes, and his name is not even mentioned.
No Jeffery (the runt baby goose who befriends Wilber).
No Sherman songs.

And they don't even have the funniest line from the book (When Avery says that Uncle the pig wins first prize "because he's fat, I bet the judges are fat too.").

Now on to the film. I felt that it had too much bathroom humor for the kind of movie it is. But still, the heart and sincerity are what makes the film soar.

B+

Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:59 am
Profile WWW
---------

Meh, a lot of little things in the movie that just didn't work. I thought it was really great up until the animals started talking. Dakota Fanning was superb. The music (Danny Elfman) was fantastic, my favorite part of the movie. I think the rest of the barnyard animals just took away from the rest of the movie without having a point. Plus Charlotte's character was taken wrong IMO. The ravens were the funniest animals by far.

Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:25 pm
Sbil

I thought it was positively adorable. Granted, I love the book, but the film did it justice. Dakota Fanning's role as Fern is relatively thankless, but she at least makes somewhat of an impression, which not one of the other human actors do. Anyway, the animals are as you would expect. Julia Roberts' soothing, warm voice is perfect for Charlotte. B+

Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:42 pm
No Wire Tampons!

B-

Meh, a lot of little things in the movie that just didn't work. I thought it was really great up until the animals started talking. Dakota Fanning was superb. The music (Danny Elfman) was fantastic, my favorite part of the movie. I think the rest of the barnyard animals just took away from the rest of the movie without having a point. Plus Charlotte's character was taken wrong IMO. The ravens were the funniest animals by far.

uhm, the animals are supposed to talk.
Thats like doing lord of the rings without the rings.

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
---------

MG Casey wrote:
B-

uhm, the animals are supposed to talk.
Thats like doing lord of the rings without the rings.

Ya I know. I'm saying it just turned out wrong. The voices didn't work or something, plus the animals were too cartoonized to be taken seriously in my opinion.

Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:02 pm
Teh Mexican

B

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:30 pm
Veteran

One of the best live action kids films ever made. The simplicity and elegance this film showed was just beautiful to me, I havent ben this moved by a kids film in a long time, such a beautiful and moving message. I sound like such a sap, but it was. A

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]