Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Pursuit of Happyness 

What grade would you give this film?
A 54%  54%  [ 13 ]
B 42%  42%  [ 10 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 24

The Pursuit of Happyness 
Extraordinary

Post The Pursuit of Happyness
The Pursuit of Happyness

Quote:
The Pursuit of Happyness is a 2006 American biographical drama film based on Chris Gardner's nearly one-year struggle with homelessness. Directed by Gabriele Muccino, the film features Will Smith as Gardner, an on-and-off-homeless salesman-turned stockbroker. Smith's real-life son Jaden Smith co-stars, making his film debut as Gardner's son Christopher Jr.

The screenplay by Steven Conrad is based on the best-selling memoir written by Gardner with Quincy Troupe. The film was released on December 15, 2006, by Columbia Pictures. For his performance, Will Smith was nominated for an Academy Award and a Golden Globe for Best Actor.

Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:45 am
Top Poster

Acting-wise, Will Smith's performance was good but not very awards-worthy. Though he manages to shake off his trademark Will Smith persona most of the time, there was nothing particularly strong about his performance that made it particularly stand out. Thandie Newton has the more showy role and works well as a de-glamorized, unlikeable character. Smith's son was cute but not much more.

The script was pretty standard and felt very fictionalized with too many scenes involving chance coincidental bumping into people on the street. And the movie wasn't as emotional/sentimental as it could have been, instead relying on too many chase sequences.

Still a decent enough movie that is generally good, so I give it a B.

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:32 am
Profile WWW
Kypade

I kinda agree, but was much more enthused. It really isn't anything /that/ special, and there are more than a few issues (ackward dialogs, pacing, the wife character, cheesiness) that plague much of the film. However, I thought Smith's performance was very particularly strong. And I found the film to be incredibly affective. It's got devastating downs and ecstatic ups, and I felt for and with this guy every step of the way..

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:41 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:01 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:30 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I would understand that question if we were talking about Spider-Man 3 or Transformers.

Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:42 am
Top Poster

Well, if you are on facebook, there's a Chase +1 Group that's sponsoring dozens of screenings nationwide, most if not all on college campuses. It might not be too late for you to go to a local screening in your area.

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:39 am
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

It was a decent movie, but Will Smith was hyped way too much. He was okay, but nothing that is worthy of any awards. The boy who played his son was great, though.

B

Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:57 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Will Smith delivers a career-best performance in this touching and heartwarming drama. The film itself is incredibly interesting and well-written, not once coming off as cheesy or convulted. Jaden Smith and Thandie Newton also deliver great supporting performances as well. An excellent inspirational film that is certainly one of the year's strongest efforts.

A-

Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:19 am
Profile YIM
Indiana Jones IV

Really great performances all around from Will Smith, and Jayden Smith. Even though you knew it was coming, it was still extremely sad all the shit he went through. Really sad movie. Only complaint I have is I which I could have seen him succeed a little more and see his bitch of wife burn in hell. A-

Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

This is an enormously uplifting film that relied on less melodrama and manipulation than I expected. Will Smith is wonderful, as is his son Jayden. Thandie Newton is not given any favors by the production, stuck playing a one-dimensional shrew for her brief running time. Feel-good (at least by the end of the film) to the max. B+

Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:46 pm
Forum General

It's a simplistic yarn, and I felt like half the movie was pretty much Will Smith rushing to get to places on time, but I was entertained and really, really moved.

I loved it. Bit of a surprise.

A-

Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

A very engaging film overall, even though it dragged in various parts toward the climax. The story is pretty simple and didn't offer much surprise, but it is effective. My emotion went up and down without feeling being manipulated. I especially like the idea of focusing on his daily hardship outside work instead of the internal competition in the firm. Performance-wise, Will Smith is terrific, and Jayden Smith is cute; not very fond of Thandie Newton. I guess I'm becoming less and less impressed with the "showy" characters.

B

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:53 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

The film is very good, but there is nothing to make it really stand out among other films of its kind. Will Smith is very good as well as his son, but I can't help but get the feeling that there's something missing. I can't really put my finger on it.

That saying, I'm giving the film a good grade because the film is still very interseting, most thanks to the work put in by Smith and his son.

A-

By the way. Am I the only one who thought Gardner should've walked up to his son at the end holding another Captain America doll? The ending is pretty good and heart-warming as it is, but I think if he would've pulled out a replacement doll for his son, that would've brought the house down.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:48 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

I never had big expectations for this movie. Never looked that good in the trailers, but I loved it. It's a wonderful movie and Smith & his son were fantastic. Easily deserving his oscar nomination. A-

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:37 am
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

The reason this film succeeds so well is because of it's relentless tearing down of the characters, bit by bit. At every moment when you think things are about to get better for Chris and his son, it only gets worse. And we see things fall so far down the gutter to the point that Chris just doesn't know what to do; there is a point where there are absolutely no options available and Chris has to in a sense trick his son into sleeping in a subway washroom overnight. We hear the rattle and banging on the washroom door for someone to use the washroom as Chris holds his son tight and hopes for this person to go away. And once again, we are subjected to the relentlessness of it all; the fucker just won't go away, and all we hear is the banging, and rattling, and banging and rattling, and Will Smith spoke it all in his face; I knew exactly what he was thinking. This moment was particularly harrowing and very effective.

Simply put, this film was a lot less sugar-coated than I expected it to be. In fact, the only scene I outright did not like was when he was telling his son not to let anyone tell him what to do or who to be. That was the only typical sappy moment in a film that was actually rather underplayed and simple. There were other things here and there I didn't like in the film, and it's by no means perfect, but Will Smith always played the awkwardness so well. It just added to the humiliation of how low he had to go, how low he felt.

By the time Chris wins the internship and gets the job, he's been through so bloody much, and the scene actually MEANS something. Smith again played this well, with no silly over dramatic jumping or skipping and silliness for having gotten the job. Just a quiet determination to not cry on the spot, and the feeling that he now felt as happy as the people on the street looked, an observation that he made around the beginning of the film.

And that's it. While Will Smith may not have been particularly showy, I felt he created a well toned, underplayed performance, and I as actually quite impressed. Maybe he deserved the Oscar nomination, maybe he didn't, but all I know is I'm not complaining. He did very well, in my opinion. It's pretty cool to think how far he has come from the beginning.

B+

Peace,
Mike.

Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:05 am
Devil's Advocate

A mostly forgettable rags to riches story. I wasn't very enthused throughout it.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:46 am
Extraordinary

Will Smith's son is adorable. That's about it. Best Actor nod not deserved.

C-

Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:23 am
Indiana Jones IV

I was a little worried I was the only one who didn't like this movie much, but I'm glad to see a few others didn't think it was all that great. I felt that the movie dragged on too long and tried too hard to make you feel sorry for Will Smith's character. I had a hard time keeping myself interested in and often found my mind wandering. I was a little surprised by that, too, since I usually enjoy these types of movies. But anyway...

C

Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I would've liked if its scope was a bit... wider? It's hard to explain, but I kind of feel like the entire movie was Chris and his wife/kid are poor, he gets internship, gets even more poor and sleeps in bathroom, etc., and finally gets job. The end. I would've liked if the whole movie wasn't just an in-depth look at how much this guy is struggling. Maybe start the movie with him meeting the wife, the birth of Christopher, the beginning of the scanner deal, and then go from there. Show a bit more depth into Chris Gardner himself and his life outside the intern deal, how he grew up, how he met the daycare center, etc.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:27 pm
Devil's Advocate

And for the comments about the film not being manipulative... How about the fact that they changed the source material being Chris's actual story, in real life he actually had a salary during the internship. They changed it for dramatic tearjerking and sentimental value for the audience, Hollywood-ized it.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:31 pm
Sbil

I would've liked if its scope was a bit... wider? It's hard to explain, but I kind of feel like the entire movie was Chris and his wife/kid are poor, he gets internship, gets even more poor and sleeps in bathroom, etc., and finally gets job. The end. I would've liked if the whole movie wasn't just an in-depth look at how much this guy is struggling. Maybe start the movie with him meeting the wife, the birth of Christopher, the beginning of the scanner deal, and then go from there. Show a bit more depth into Chris Gardner himself and his life outside the intern deal, how he grew up, how he met the daycare center, etc.

Oh, goodness, that would have made the movie 15 hours long.

That would've been a terrible idea.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:49 pm
Devil's Advocate

Well in shortened clips near the beginning of the movie, to preserve running time, obviously.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:53 pm
Teh Mexican

Great film. The emotion was there, i almost cried :blush: seriously, but they cut to the next scenes to fast that they didnt let me shed the damn tear. :glare:

B+

Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next