Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mononoke-hime [Princess Mononoke] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 83%  83%  [ 19 ]
B 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 23

Mononoke-hime [Princess Mononoke] 
College Boy Z

Post Mononoke-hime [Princess Mononoke]
Princess Mononoke

Quote:
Princess Mononoke (もののけ姫 Mononoke-hime) is a 1997 epic Japanese animated historical fantasy feature film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki of Studio Ghibli. "Mononoke" (物の怪) is not a name, but a general term in the Japanese language for a spirit or monster. The film was first released in Japan on July 12, 1997, and in the United States on October 29, 1999.

Princess Mononoke is a period drama set specifically in the late Muromachi period of Japan but with numerous fantastic elements. The story concentrates on involvement of the outsider Ashitaka in the struggle between the supernatural guardians of a forest and the humans of the Iron Town who consume its resources. There are no good and evil in this struggle and the sympathies of the film makers keep switching. There can be no clear victory, and the hope is that relationship between humans and the nature is cyclic.

Roger Ebert placed the movie sixth on his top ten movies of 1999. Mononoke also became the highest grossing movie in Japan until Titanic took over the spot several months later. Overall, Mononoke is the fourth highest grossing anime movie in Japan, next to 2001's Spirited Away and 2004's Howl's Moving Castle, and 2008's Ponyo, all of which were also by Miyazaki.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:20 am
Extraordinary

Princess Mononoke is such a beautiful movie. The animation is breathtaking and Miyazaki creates yet another magical world that's facinating. If you don't like anime or animation, watch one of Hayao Miyazaki's films. He is literally an animation god.

- A

Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:50 pm
Extraordinary

[-X No one else has seen this masterpiece? For shame...

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:19 am
Indiana Jones IV

worse than Spirited Away but that is because Spirited Away was a masterpiece, this one is still fanastic, great film, A-

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:24 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

worse than Spirited Away but that is because Spirited Away was a masterpiece, this one is still fanastic, great film, A-

Yeah, I agree on Spirited Away being a stronger film. But... SA is at #3 on my all time list while PM is #8 so I both love them, a lot. :razz:
Can't wait for Miyazaki's Nausicaa to come out on Tuesday, I shall pick that up. \:D/

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:27 am
Kypade

wait, though...Princess Mononke is a masterpiece too. :confused:

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:51 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Sat May 07, 2005 1:28 am
Profile YIM
Romosexual!

i wish they release a proper dvd for it. :(

Sat May 07, 2005 1:55 am
Lover of Bacon

I LOVED this film. Studio Ghibli is almost unrivalled in creating such vivid deeply layered worlds and creative storytelling.

Spirited Away may be a more polished film with slighty more impressive animation, but Mononoke's themes just struck the right chord with me. I'm really surprised there aren't more reviews of this, check it out people!! Utterly fantastic.

A

Mon May 28, 2007 1:44 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'd probably raise my grade to a B+ as of now. It's really good, and the story is exciting and emotional. I found this to be miles better than the massively overrated Spirited Away.

Mon May 28, 2007 3:42 pm
Profile YIM
Speed Racer

sako16 wrote:

Yeah, I agree on Spirited Away being a stronger film. But... SA is at #3 on my all time list while PM is #8 so I both love them, a lot. :razz:
Can't wait for Miyazaki's Nausicaa to come out on Tuesday, I shall pick that up. \:D/

I hope Nausicaa blew you away - incredible to think it's well over 20 years old.

I think maybe some of Miyazaki's more recent films get slightly more props than they deserve. Bad Miyazaki is still amazing cinema, but I'd love to see some of his (in my opinion) better works get more exposure (e.g., Nausicaa, Porco Rosso... even Castle of Cagliostro).

Mon May 28, 2007 6:11 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

This is a GREAT film. I don't think it's as good as Spirited Away, but I think it an entirely different animal anyways.

A

Mon May 28, 2007 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

My favorite Miyazaki and possibly the best animated movie I've seen.

A

Mon May 28, 2007 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

A real masterpiece, this is one of the best animated films ever made and IMO Miyazaki's best.

Tue May 29, 2007 12:40 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: Princess Mononoke
Ummm yeah this was pretty awesome.

I loved the ambigious nature of most the characters as well, very hard to pull off but this film manages it.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:37 pm
The Dark Knight

I liked this better then Spirited away and Howl's Moving castle.

To me the other two falls had me lost or bored at the end.

I like this one the way best because imo all of the mystical and fantasy makes sense and you know the true meaning of the film.

A-

Great film.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:49 pm
Quality is a great business plan

Great Film. Loved the characterizations. I would put it in my Top 3 fav miyazaki features. A

I used to be shawman.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:29 pm

I guess I never wrote a review for this film here, and by write a review I mean give a one sentence overview of what my review would be:

A masterpiece of animation and art that captures and develops its themes beautifully and to the point of almost becoming poetry.

A+

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 pm
Romosexual!

Who's the asshole who gave it a C?

Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:07 pm

My favorite anime I've seen, infinitely better than the overrated spirited away.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:13 am
Extraordinary

Post Re:
sako wrote:

+1

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:22 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Michael A wrote:
My favorite anime I've seen, infinitely better than the overrated spirited away.

Moderation, boy.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:16 pm
Profile WWW

Argos wrote:
Michael A wrote:

Moderation, boy.

is less fun

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Maybe I should clarify. We studied all the Japanese conventions, symbolism, sub-texts and such included in spirited away and I find all of it fascinating. Miyazaki is throwing around messages, satire, and themes galore in that movie and there's a lot to take from it. Aside from which the animation is gorgeous and polished and the characters likeable. I can certainly see how it attained the status of his pinnacle of film-making, even by his prospective it probably was. However Monoke registers on more levels than simply a thematic compilation for me. The manipulation of action-adventure conventions via the singular note desperate scream for pacifism is so blatantly obvious within the movie it's almost blinding. And yet the sub-text of this thing! Primarily its amazing that while satirizing these conventions Miyazaki produces them so damn well. Furthermore the integration of just as excellently constructed characters and themes into this fantasy/war/adventure story is a much more challenging and fascinating setting than the changing tapestry that is essentially a blank canvas to project themes that is Spirited Away.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:42 pm
Extraordinary

Michael A wrote:
Maybe I should clarify. We studied all the Japanese conventions, symbolism, sub-texts and such included in spirited away and I find all of it fascinating. Miyazaki is throwing around messages, satire, and themes galore in that movie and there's a lot to take from it. Aside from which the animation is gorgeous and polished and the characters likeable. I can certainly see how it attained the status of his pinnacle of film-making, even by his prospective it probably was. However Monoke registers on more levels than simply a thematic compilation for me. The manipulation of action-adventure conventions via the singular note desperate scream for pacifism is so blatantly obvious within the movie it's almost blinding. And yet the sub-text of this thing! Primarily its amazing that while satirizing these conventions Miyazaki produces them so damn well. Furthermore the integration of just as excellently constructed characters and themes into this fantasy/war/adventure story is a much more challenging and fascinating setting than the changing tapestry that is essentially a blank canvas to project themes that is Spirited Away.

Film theory is a curse.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next