Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 A View to a Kill 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

A View to a Kill 
now we know

Post A View to a Kill

Quote:
A View to a Kill is the fourteenth spy film of the James Bond series, and the seventh and last to star Roger Moore as the fictional MI6 agent James Bond. Although the title is adapted from Ian Fleming's short story "From a View to a Kill", the film is the fourth Bond film after The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker and Octopussy to have an entirely original screenplay. In A View to a Kill, Bond is pitted against Max Zorin, who plans to destroy California's Silicon Valley.

The film was produced by Albert R. Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, who also wrote the screenplay with Richard Maibaum. It was the third James Bond film to be directed by John Glen, and the last to feature Lois Maxwell as Miss Moneypenny.

Despite being a commercial success and earning a Golden Globe nomination for Best Song, A View to a Kill got a mixed reception by critics and was disliked by Roger Moore himself due to his age. Christopher Walken, however, was praised for portraying a "classic Bond villain".

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Walken and roberts were good and mayday was stupid but moore loked like he was 70

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:07 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Moore wasn't just long in the tooth, he was sporting ivory tusks by this film.

I enjoyed the over the top performance by Walken, and Grace Jones was scary, but I wanted to strangle Tonya Roberts. "James...James...save me!" It was probably the worst performance in the history of bad performances. The movie was fun.

B-

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:37 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I liked the first half of this movie and then it kind of all went to shambles. Cool and ambitious set-piece at the Golden Gate bridge though.

B-

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Fun movie. I love the parts in San Francisco.

B+

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
htm

San Francisco is my favorite city in the world. I love the theme song (as much as I love Duran Duran).... but God, was this a bad movie.

C-/D+

Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:31 pm
Superman: The Movie

If you place anyone else in there besides Roger Moore, and the film works in an over the top campy way. Moore was 58 at the time and not only looks it, he seems to look 10 years older as well. That makes for the love scenes creepy (The hot tub. He's pruny enough already) and the action sequences cheesy and unbelieveable. It's the worst Bond yes, but I still kind of enjoyed it despite what I wrote above. It's not really a chore to sit through, except for whenever Tonya Roberts speaks.

C+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:19 am
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

A guilty pleasure because they say the first Bond film you see is always one of your favorites. Grace Jones is absolutely awesome in this as is Christopher Walken. The story is basically a remake of Goldfinger but the beautiful French countryside and the thrilling balloon battle and the firetruck sequence are things to look out for.

Besides the Beach Boys knockoff at the beginning, the film has the best John Berry score of the entire series. Fun titles are the best Maurice Binder have done (maybe except for The Spy Who Loved Me).

Yeah but Roger Moore looks geriatric here.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: A View to a Kill
It's a little bit better than I remember it being. And high definition has done wonders for Roger Moore here because he no longer looks like he was on the verge of death. Yes, he looks, and was, way too old to be 007 (what happened in the two years between Octopussy and this?), but he just manages to barely pull it off.

The film gets off to a rocky start with the Beach Boys and it doesn't really pick up until the film moves to San Francisco, but once it does it really gets going (though the half-car chase through Paris has it's moments). The firetruck chase through the city is very well done and the finale is quite good too.

The film is also helped quite a lot with Christopher Walken as Zorin. Zorin is as batshit crazy as Stromberg and Drax were, but he's much more ruthless and evil than both of them. He is absolutely gleeful when he mows down and drowns his own people. He doesn't have enough time with Bond to make him truly as memorable as say Goldfinger, but he's one of the better villains in the franchise.

And then we have Tracy Roberts. I'll sum up her performance with this. She makes Denise Richards look good.

Roger Moore had his ups and downs as 007, but his final time in the role managed to end on a somewhat positive note. A View to a Kill is far from perfect, but it's also not the disaster some people might remember it to be.

**½ (B-)

1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) - ***** (A+)
2. Goldfinger (1964) - ***** (A+)
3. The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - ***** (A+)
4. From Russia with Love (1963) - ****½ (A)
5. Live and Let Die (1973) - ***½ (B+)
6. You Only Live Twice (1967) - *** (B)
7. For Your Eyes Only (1981) - *** (B)
8. Thunderball (1965) - *** (B)
9. Dr. No (1962) - *** (B)
10. A View to a Kill (1985) - **½ (B-)
11. The Man with the Golden Gun (1974) - **½ (C+)
12. Diamonds are Forever (1971) - **½ (C+)
13. Octopussy (1983) - ** (C)
14. Moonraker (1979) - ** (C)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:53 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

My least favourite Bond film.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:08 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Agreed, easily my least favorite, which is a shame as the song is top 3 and Walken is awesome as always. Not the worst Bond film though. To Rank the Moore Era for me.

The Spy Who Loved Me- A
For Your Eyes Only- B+
Live and Let Die- B
Moonraker- C-
Octopussy- D+
The Man With The Golden Gun- D+
A View to a Kill- D+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]