Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Diamonds Are Forever 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Diamonds Are Forever 
now we know

Post Diamonds Are Forever
Diamonds Are Forever

Quote:
Diamonds Are Forever (1971) is the seventh spy film in the EON Productions James Bond series, and the sixth and final official film to star Sean Connery as the fictional MI6 agent James Bond. The film is based on Ian Fleming's 1956 novel of the same name, and is the second of four James Bond films directed by Guy Hamilton. The story has Bond impersonating a diamond smuggler to infiltrate a smuggling ring, and soon uncovering a plot by his old nemesis Blofeld to use the diamonds and build a giant laser.

After George Lazenby left the franchise, producers Harry Saltzman and Albert R. Broccoli tested other actors, but studio United Artists wanted Sean Connery back, paying a then-record $1.2 million salary for him to return. The producers were inspired by Goldfinger, eventually hiring that film's director, Guy Hamilton. Locations included Las Vegas, California, Amsterdam and Lufthansa's hangar in Germany. Diamonds Are Forever was a commercial and critical success, but received criticism for its humorous camp tone.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Connery was looking long in the tooth by this point, and it wasn't all that interesting of a story. Guy Hamilton was hit and miss as a Bond director. This was a miss.

I still can't believe that Mr. Wint was Crispon Glovers dad in real life.

C+

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:24 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I actually loved this Bond film, I thought it wasn't his best, but a nice solid comeback after Lazenby. Also my 2nd favorite Bond song. The end of the Legacy was strong

Dr. No- A
From Russia With Love- A+
Goldfinger- A+
Thunderball- A-
You only Live Twice- B+
Diamonds are Forever A

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:59 pm
Veteran

My first James Bond movie in theaters. This was released for the first time in 1975 (In India), which is when I watched the movie. This was originally released in the US in 1971. At that time it took a while for movies to be released in India. I also watched the six prior James Bond movies in the theaters, on their reissue in India.

A strange take on Howard Hughes by Jimmy Dean as Willard Whyte. The movie is fast paced and fun.

A-

Last edited by jb007 on Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
htm

The last classy SC film. I love the "race" through Las Vegas. Classic. :biggrin:

B+

Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:34 pm
Veteran

Wow, you are old! Heh.

The last classy SC film. I love the "race" through Las Vegas. Classic. :biggrin:

B+

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
htm

zennier wrote:
Wow, you are old! Heh.

B+

As old as my mother.

Nice, huh? ;)

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:57 pm
Veteran

As old as my mother.

Nice, huh? ;)

Thanks a ;) lot.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:05 am
Profile WWW
htm

zennier wrote:

As old as my mother.

Nice, huh? ;)

Thanks a ;) lot.

:sweat: :smile:

Nah, it isn't so bad.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:12 am
Superman: The Movie

[font=century gothic]It's not my favorite. Actually I would put it #2 on the bottom, only ahead of A View to a Kill. I'm too tired to construct my complaints into sentences so I'll just list them. :)

* Connery phones it in - Although the elevator fight is pretty damn good.

* There are no action sequences. The oil rig finale doesn't even count as one. The car stunt was cool though.

* With the exception of Bond on a boat towards the beginning of the film, where is the Bond theme?

* The villian is not threatning. I blame it on both the actor and the script.

What I did like

* The Bond girls. Some of the best in the series.

* The fact they didn't change the villians sexuality from the book. Risky move, but it works.

* The Bond theme by Barry on the boat. Nice and jazzy, kind of a Vegas feel. Why didn't he use it in Vegas?

* The 007 theme on the oil rig. It makes the sequence more exciting than it really should be.

* The moon/dune buggy.

C+[/font]

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:20 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Diamonds Are Forever
Same grade as last time except I'll probably be a little more positive towards the film six years later.

I've never been a big fan of Diamonds are Forever. For the most part, I thought it was completely boring and completely wastes Connery's last outing as Bond. Well, it's still got it's fair share of problems, but the script isn't one of them outside of the first five minutes. How do you not even acknowledge Tracy's death in the last film. Sure Bond is on the hunt for Blofeld to open this movie, but it's never really implied that he's on the hunt for him in order to get revenge. This feels like it just as easily could've picked up after You Only Live Twice. That was probably a very intentional move on the producers part, but anyone who liked On Her Majesty's Secret Service gets absolutely robbed. However, in judging this film it's a very small problem because as I said, it seems like it was a very deliberate decision just to ignore the previous movie. So moving on, what I like about the script is that the dialog is very reminiscent of Goldfinger. There's a lot of quick back and forth here and there's quite a few laughs (the most in any Bond to this point). That's really the only thing that keeps Diamonds are Forever afloat though (aside from Connery). Everything else about the film is extremely forgettable (except Bambi and Thumper of course).

The two gay (heavily implied) henchman are given practically nothing to do except to quip back and forth to one another incessantly and you just want them to shut up after awhile (oh Oddjob, where have you gone?). Charles Gray is given nothing to do as Blofeld. There's an interesting idea of Blofeld creating doubles of himself but it goes nowhere fast. And Gray brings nothing whatsoever to the part. He's dull and he's by far the worst Blofeld, which is quite an achievement because half of the time Blofeld appears in the movies his face is never shown.

Another huge letdown is the action. The producer specifically brought Guy Hamilton back to produce "Goldfinger-like" results. However, unlike Goldfinger, this film has very little excitement. The fight in the elevator is a bright moment and almost as good as the fight on the train from From Russia with Love, but outside of that we get two lazy chases, one in the desert with moon buggy, and the other in the streets of Vegas. The first chase is absurd while the second one is shot with far too many long distance shots which cuts out any excitement the chase might have a had. And the finale on the oil rig is far too short to be anything memorable.

The script keeps things moving, but the lack of any decent action and one hell of a cheesy bad guy throw a wrench into what could've been a decent finale in the role of James Bond for Sean "I'm James fucking Bond Steve Jobs" Connery.

**½ (C+)

1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) - ***** (A+)
2. Goldfinger (1964) - ***** (A+)
3. From Russia with Love (1963) - ****½ (A)
4. You Only Live Twice (1967) - *** (B)
5. Thunderball (1965) - *** (B)
6. Dr. No (1962) - *** (B)
7. Diamonds are Forever (1971) - **½ (C+)

Last edited by Jmart on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:41 am
Profile WWW

I disagree completely, the action is pretty great in this one. That car chase in Vegas is extremely influential in the French Connection/ Bullitt sense, in fact FC was in production the same time as this. It's extremely awesome for it's time.

Mr. Wint/Kidd are weird/awful but creepy in their stiffness. And they still have one of the funniest deaths of all time. And They might have my favorite musical score in the entire series. Tiffany Chase is awful and Blowfeld's departure from the series is lame. But for some reason, Connery elevates everything, and I like the more thriller aspect of this entry. The action is probably the best of the series to this point (Overall, Each film has one action scene that is just better than at least one in here) so is the humor and music. I can take all the negatives of this film and still enjoy it more than most of the Moore outings.

The Golden Age of Bond is over. It must have been crazy to be alive in 73 and have 3 different Bond actors in the last 4 years.

From Russia With Love A+
Goldfinger A+
You Only Live Twice A+
On her Majesty's Secret Service A
Dr. No A-
Thunderball B+
Diamonds are Forever B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:46 pm
loyalfromlondon

This is even worse than You Only Live Twice, if I remember correctly.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:47 pm
We had our time together

Meh. One of my least favorite Bonds.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:31 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

This one felt kinda lazy and by the numbers. It's almost as if the studio panicked from the mixed reception to On Her Majesty's Secret Service (the best old Bond) and just shoved this generic brand out there to please the complainers. They should have named the movie The Rise of Skywalker Bond. Still a decent watch though, and better than any of others from 70s and 80s that I've seen (so far).

5.3/10

Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:02 pm

I stand by it. Connery is completely there cut and paste. But the bond formula is this movie. It just ages more than most, thid has the heartbeat of a a super dark revenge Bond

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:43 am

Except it's not a revenge film and is the farthest thing from being dark. If it's anything it's a continuation of You Only Live Twice. Bond's wife never comes up. Bond never mentions her (you'd think he would) and Blofeld doesn't taunt him with her death (you'd think he would). They did everything to ignore Lazenby until the middle of Moore's run.

Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]