Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 The Prestige 

What grade would you give this film?
A 68%  68%  [ 44 ]
B 26%  26%  [ 17 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 65

The Prestige 
Sbil

Post The Prestige
The Prestige

Quote:
The Prestige is a 2006 mystery thriller film directed by Christopher Nolan, with a screenplay adapted from Christopher Priest's 1995 novel of the same name. The story follows Robert Angier and Alfred Borden, rival stage magicians in London at the end of the 19th century. Obsessed with creating the best stage illusion, they engage in competitive one-upmanship with tragic results.

The film features Hugh Jackman as Robert Angier, Christian Bale as Alfred Borden, and David Bowie as Nikola Tesla. It also stars Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson, Piper Perabo, Rebecca Hall, and Andy Serkis. The film reunites Nolan with actors Bale and Caine from Batman Begins, and returning cinematographer Wally Pfister, production designer Nathan Crowley, film score composer David Julyan, and editor Lee Smith.

Priest's epistolary novel was adapted to the screen by Nolan and his brother, Jonathan Nolan, using Nolan's distinctive nonlinear narrative structure. Themes of duality, obsession, sacrifice, and secrecy pervade the conflict. The film was released on October 20, 2006, receiving positive reviews and strong box office results, and obtained Academy Award nominations for Best Cinematography and Best Art Direction.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:54 pm
Commander and Chef

had one or 2 problems but otherwise .. just wow. have to turn a blind eye to the problem though.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

I'm kind of glad my expectations have gone down in the past week, it was about as good as I thought it would be. It's the textbook definition of a movie that's easier to admire then it is to love. Extremely well crafted, the direction is top-notch. It's a gorgeous film, and most of the twists work out pretty well, with a few notable exceptions. One in particular frustrated me because it's completely clear throughout what's going on but at the end the film acts like it's the biggest shocker of them all. The actors all give solid performances, but none of them have roles they haven't done before and better. I really did enjoy Andy Serkis's too short role as Tesla's (David Bowie didn't impress me especially after hearing he was the stand out) assistant. Some of the film's more fantastic elements became a little bit hard to swallow, but it's easy to overlook them when the film is this nice to look at. At the same time, I can completely understand why it'd get the mixed reviews it has. B

For a more well-written version of the exact same thoughts, check out the The New York Times review.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:27 am
Commander and Chef

spoiler warning, may ruin the entire film for you

i liked how the end worked. see, they told you right off the bat what the trick was. and it was a simple one. but its the way they told you that made you question if it was true and in doing so, many in my audience missed all the subtle (yet noticeable) hints they kept giving to it. well .. not all ... a couple slipped which made me guess what it was before i even saw it. its cool how they made us concentrate on the irrelevant while keeping the details in front of us.

brilliant stuff.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:07 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

you know what i liked?

i liked how the end worked. see, they told you right off the bat what the trick was. and it was a simple one. but its the way they told you that made you question if it was true and in doing so, many in my audience missed all the subtle (yet noticeable) hints they kept giving to it. well .. not all ... a couple slipped which made me guess what it was before i even saw it. its cool how they made us concentrate on the irrelevant while keeping the details in front of us.

brilliant stuff.

Yeah, from way early on it was obvious that Falley was Bale's twin, yet for some reason it took me awhile to realize that their dissapearing man trick was a double. Y'know though, in all honesty I didn't like how they handled that angle. They made it clear they were twins, and although them going back and forth was a surprise, it's just as much because of how out there that seemed to me, that people could never figure out they were the same person. I've seen identical twins, and if you lived with them every day of your life no matter how much they looked and acted like the same person you wouldn't just think that some days they loved you and some they didn't.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:30 pm
Commander and Chef

TOSHI wrote:
you know what i liked?

brilliant stuff.

Yeah, from way early on it was obvious that Falley was Bale's twin, yet for some reason it took me awhile to realize that their dissapearing man trick was a double. Y'know though, in all honesty I didn't like how they handled that angle. They made it clear they were twins, and although them going back and forth was a surprise, it's just as much because of how out there that seemed to me, that people could never figure out they were the same person. I've seen identical twins, and if you lived with them every day of your life no matter how much they looked and acted like the same person you wouldn't just think that some days they loved you and some they didn't.

yes but knowledge of the fact that someone is a twin changes a lot. and these 2 .. they acted quite the same as well. see thats the key .. the fact that falley was the brother seemed very obvious but it was always tough to connect the 2 things together because the film, i dont know how, forces you to go with the choice that his trick was actually that of 1 person. thats the brilliance of it. and he never admits to it ... the film only leads you to believe whatever angier believed it.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

oh and scarlett's boobies provide the best acting

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Very disappointing movie. I was shocked that I could not get into the movie, since I like Caine, Jackman and Bale. My wife was livid since I forced her to watch this movie. A huge step down from Batman Begins for Nolan.

D

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Very disappointing movie. I was shocked that I could not get into the movie, since I like Caine, Jackman and Bale. My wife was livid since I forced her to watch this movie. A huge step down from Batman Begins for Nolan.

D

: (

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

jb007 wrote:

D

I will be waching Flags later today. Hopefully that works better for me. :|

Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

TOSHI wrote:
jb007 wrote:

D

I will be waching Flags later today. Hopefully that works better for me. :|

considering how we never like the same films, it probably will.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

D

Im scared of having that very same reaction :sad:

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:09 pm
Veteran

considering how we never like the same films, it probably will.

That is true. ;)

Judging by my wife's reaction I don't think this will appeal to a lot of women.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

jb007 wrote:

D

Im scared of having that very same reaction :sad:

Magic in movies is somehow unappealing to me. This is also akin to my dislike of football movies (American Football), even though I love football. May be that gives you an idea. Normally I would not have watched this movie. Because of the actors and the director, I gave this movie a shot.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:23 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

My only complaint is the final twist, with the... well, y'know. Maybe there were clues (I'll look for them the next time I see it), but it's the only time I didn't think the film was being completely fair to the audience.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:47 pm
Commander and Chef

A-

My only complaint is the final twist, with the... well, y'know. Maybe there were clues (I'll look for them the next time I see it), but it's the only time I didn't think the film was being completely fair to the audience.

the signs were there everywhere

here is a list of spoilers

Some days he loved her, somedays he didn't
the trick required a lookalike or it was magic
he had asked his daughter to be taken by the other fellow and had promised the daughter that he would go with her
his hand was hurt twice
he was very possessive about Falley and had mentioned how he would have lost something very important to him.
he had said he would not go and pursue the rivalry no more and when hes being taken back to the prison, he states he should have listened to him
Falley never spoke
he always commented and hinted at halley being the mastermind of the trick, basically implying that their character falley was the real trick, not what they pull on stage
he was extremely bipolar throughout the film
the reading of his diary continually implied how he was of '2' minds
he was able to ruin Angier's performance while still conduct the magic show across the street.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

Did anyone notice that this was The Illusionist?

Personally, I hope we're treated with two Illusionists every year until I die. :O

Best movie of the year.

I always felt just about one step ahead of the plot, but that worked out good because it kinda forces me think and worry and feel, knowing that right behind you is this monster trying to take over and leave you behind. And the ending was so amazing...normally I'm not the biggest fan of [spoil]reveal[/spoil] endings, but here it works cuz there's incredible tension in that last part, the back and forth between the two had me more enthralled and conflicted than I've been in a long time.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:27 am
College Boy Z

I'm a little disappointed after having some great expectations, but I still really liked it. I think the "twist" was pretty obvious (noticed a lot of bABA's list of hints throughout the film), but it still had an effect on me in the end. Excellent performances from the entire cast. The film itself is disappointing, probably because I expected to be amazed, and I came out "just satisfied", like MovieDude. And the film also took a pretty long time to get me into the film. The pace is slow as hell for the first hour, seriously. But other than that, I still liked it. Just didn't love it.

B

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:27 am
life begins now

It was good, but it wasn't great. I was sort of confused throughout, although the last ten to fifteen minutes were great. Great acting from everyone too.

B+

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:49 am
Profile YIM
Commander and Chef

i've slept on it ... twice ... and my appreciation for this film continues to rise.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
htm

A train wreck. Sloppy editing, boring and drawn out, and certainly not a prestigious ending. This was a great disappointment. The costumes and art decoration is gorgeous, flashy, and so easy to get lost in.... but the screenplay isn't particular well written, nor the structure of the film delicately handled. It has the makings of a masterpiece but utterly fails as a result of the (lack of) flow and interest.

Boo. :cry:

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:40 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

IM TOO LAZY AND STUPID TO HIDE THE TEXT SO DONT READ THIS IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE MOVIE YET

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS

SPOILERS

I have one major question. So, every night, a Jackman clone or the initial Jackman appears in the back of the theater.

Where the hell did the non-drowning Jackman go the night of the 'murder'? Why did he not appear?

Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:11 pm
Where will you be?

SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS

IM TOO LAZY AND STUPID TO HIDE THE TEXT SO DONT READ THIS IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE MOVIE YET

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS

SPOILERS

I have one major question. So, every night, a Jackman clone or the initial Jackman appears in the back of the theater.

Where the hell did the non-drowning Jackman go the night of the 'murder'? Why did he not appear?

He probably was going to come out but didn't when he heard Christian Bale yelling, and got out of there... I guess...

Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:45 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I really liked the film. I'd figured Nolan's "big twist" well before the end, but that's one of the things I really appreciated. He's very bold with waving the truth in our faces the whole time. Good stuff.

I have another SPOILERY question, though. VERY SPOILERY.

When Hugh finds the hats and rabbits and talks to David Bowie and co. about it, I felt as though the film was completely straightforward with what the machine does. I thought it WAS the reveal. But near the end, with the re-emergence of you-know-who, I felt as though the trick (clones and whatnot) were being revealed YET AGAIN. So to everyone who's seen the film: did you also understand the significance of the hats and rabbits right then and there?

Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:51 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

MovieDude, that is an entirely reasonable answer.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next