Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
B 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
F 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20

College Boy Z

Post The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning

Quote:
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, a 2006 American slasher film, functions as a prequel to the 2003 remake of the 1974 film The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Directed by Jonathan Liebesman and co-produced by Kim Henkel and Tobe Hooper (co-creators of the original 1974 film), the film went into release in North America on October 6, 2006. The film's story takes place four years before the timeline of the 2003 remake. It stars Jordana Brewster, Diora Baird, Taylor Handley, Matt Bomer, and R. Lee Ermey.

Originally, the film had the subtitle The Origin. New Line Cinema had to pay $3.1 million more than expected in order to keep the rights to the franchise after Dimension Films made a large offer to buy it from the original rightholders. The film grossed less than half of what the original film had grossed.

Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:54 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I really enjoyed the remake (probably would give it, say, a B+), but this prequel is just a complete retread of the plot, characters, situations and even shot selection of that film. They even have that patented scene of Leatherface running after the girl at night, with the oh-so-imaginative moon-light through the trees cinematography. And this all ends up in a game of cat and mouse at the slaughter house.............where have I seen this before? None of the victims make an impression here and even Ermey's character gets tired real fast, thanks to some very un-funny dialogue. Any attempts at evoking fear or tension fall flat. Liebesman seems to be aping Nispel, but all the nicely framed lens-flares and washed out cinematography can only get you so far. The shaky cam near the end of this movie is Bourne Supremacy hideous. I enjoyed the early sequences with Leatherface (the image of him walking the country road with chainsaw in hand was the business), but on the whole he seemed rather dulled. It seemed to be all about how much damage they could show him doing with his "tools" than actually presenting something scary. Oh, and there is way too many jump scares accompanied by shrill music cues in this movie. Horror directors need to learn to do away with that needless shit.

C-

Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:28 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

I'm kind of sad to hear it. I love the trailer and it does have an absolutely kickass line from Ermey. I'll be seeing it sometime this weekend. I'll judge for myself.

Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:08 am
Profile WWW
problem?

IsthismoreliketheoriginalTCMthanthe'03remakewas?FromthelooksoftheTVspots,itseemstohaveadinner scenelikeintheoriginal,andagirlflingsherselfoutofawindow,whichwasalwayssorealfeelinginthe originalTCMsinceshewassodesperateforsurvival.

I'mseeingitlatertodayandmyexpectationsarelow,sohopefullyI'llbesurprised.

Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:44 am
Mod Team Leader

My expectations are high, so where does that leave me?

Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It's much more '03 than '74. Someone said it apes other Chainsaw films but not quite as well, and that kind of fits. There's a dinner scene, but it's not as good as it was in '74. There's a meat-packing plant finale, but it's not as scary as '03's. It does feel kind of like a retread.

Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:47 am
Extraordinary

Where: Harkins OKC
When: 100606 @ 2045
Size Occ : 275 / 95%

Trailers:
Grudge 2 - A
missed the rest

Film: What a bummer of a film. I admit I was glued to the screen and did get a few jumps from my set but overall this movie just had no purpose. The previous remake actually had people we could root for in it whereas this film just has people dying in it w/o a purpose and no way to root for them since we know they lose in the end. It was just nothing but gore and death and some scares but a lack of a hero or winner which ruins this film. It does a perfect job of making you hate the sheriff of course but that's easy since the guy is as sadistic as it gets but it gets tiresome and revolting to watch that sheriff at times. Overall the film is completely forgettable and can almost be classified as a waste of time. The only good thing was the Grudge 2 trailer attached to it that was cut pretty well.

Grade: D

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:43 pm
Extraordinary

I'd lower your expectations if you are looking forward to it that much.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:46 pm
Forum General

As much as I said I didn't want to see the sequel to the remake of THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, part of me was hoping for an entertaining, scary horror film. I remember quite fondly of me seeing the original remake on opening day, and being quite scared. This is definitely not the case with THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: THE BEGINNING. The worst part about the movie was that it was so boring. Seriously, it was uninteresting, and it never went anywhere. If I had a watch, I would've been looking at it constantly. Also, I don't know why people are calling it "one of the most brutal film in the past few years." There wasn't that much gore in it, and you could tell it was cut a lot. The best gore scene was probably when they hit the cow. That was pretty damn cool. Another horrible thing about this was it realied so much on boo scares. Do people not understand that these just don't work? I swear, there were more than there was in THE AMITYVILLE HORROR. It takes the boo scares to the max, and it got really annoying. The cast did all the could, but in the serious scenes, they were horrible (a scene that comes to mind is when Dean is telling his brother he is going to Mexico, and not Vietnam). While I didn't have high expectations for this at all, I am still disappointing. I was hoping for an entertaining horror flick. I recommend waiting for DVD, and only if you're a huge fan of the original or the remake. I might check out the unrated DVD though if they include all of the deleted material.

4/10 (D)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

I thought it was quite fun. Not necessarily better than TCM '03, but definitely gorier. Much gorier. It's a great, entertaining film, don't expect a lot more, especially a lot of different things from '74 and '03.

A-

Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:00 am
Orphan

Liked it. It focuses more on the torture of the victims than the remake did and doesn't have as well-defined protagonists as the remake did but it did have more blood and gore than the remake did so if you like that the film will please you. The acting was decent with Ermey being perhaps even more despicable than he was in the prior film. Brewster is about in line with Biel but was given less to do. Still, the film is moody and nicely photographed and will do if you're looking for a horror film. I liked the additional gore and more sadistic nature of the events with Ermey being far more of the focal point here than the actual Leatherface who disappears for periods of time here. Plus, the film is less hopeful than the remake, which I liked because it fit with the tone of the previous events.

Grade - B

Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:06 am
Teenage Dream

I'm not sure I've ever witnessed such a huge drop in quality between films in a horror franchise ever before. This is one of the very worst films of the year. I would have walked out about fourty-five minutes in (about the point when I realized this was arguably the most pointless film in the history of cinema) if I didn't have a group of friends with me. Not only does the film bring absolutely nothing new to the table (take a wild guess what type of building the climax takes place in), but it relies soley and completely on obnoxious jump scares. It's like the filmmakers realized during the shoot that the film had no inherent, built-in suspense factor because of it's standing as a prequel (we know right from the beginning what is going to happen), so they fell back on jump scares just to milk some kind of, any kind of reaction out of the audience. Jonathan Liebesman makes a pathetic attempt at mimicking Nispel's brilliant style from the '03 film, but he has neither the talent or vision to make anything in the film work. He even resorts to the dreaded shakey cam to attempt to hide the fact that he is about as adept at building suspense as my five year old nephew.

I hated this movie.

No stars

Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:38 am
Where will you be?

Am I the only person whose really not surprised this thing sucks? I mean, it's the director of Darkness Falls, why did everyone think he'd make it so much better then the first film?

Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:17 am
problem?

Yep,prettysucktacularmovie.IwentinwithlowexpectionssinceIknewIwasn'tgoingtolikeitverymuch,sinceI didn'tlikeTCM'03verymuch.Nothingcomparestotheoriginal,Idon'tcarewhatanyonesays.Neitheroneof theserecentTCMscomeclosetotheoriginal,especiallynotthisone.

There'snorealterror.AndtheonlyscaryscenescomefromTheGrudge-stylesuddenspookswithloudmusic.Just rentTCM'03orsomething,thiswasbasicallyaamuchlowerqualityremakeofit,withoneofthedumbestlead girlsthathasevergracedahorrormovie.Betteryet,rentagoodTCM,gofor'74. OncethekillingstartsinTCM'74,itbecomesthebesthorrorfilmevermade.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:27 am
Commander and Chef

am i the only one who loved it and was scared by it?

Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Am I the only person whose really not surprised this thing sucks? I mean, it's the director of Darkness Falls, why did everyone think he'd make it so much better then the first film?

I wasn't anticipating it, but I thought I'd give it a 6/10 (B-). It's really disappointing it couldn't even match those expectations.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Probably. The film's not scary at all.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:55 pm
problem?

Pussy.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:49 pm
College Boy Z

I didn't jump once in the film. It's not scary. I think I really loved it based on the amount of gore and entertainment alone. Personally, I was not bored for a second.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:56 pm
Forum General

There was one scene I jumped at (the scene where the Sheriff puts his hand on the car window), but that was only because I was spacing out ;).

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mod Team Leader

Effective and very depressing. It isn't as good a the original, the 03 film or Leatherface part 3, but it does shock you in many scenes. very graphic, very violent and very sad for all characters. I would reccomend it to all horror fans.

7/10

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:16 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

It just felt like the same movie that I saw three years ago, with less interesting characters, more boring moments, and nothing that I can honestly say was an awesome scene. I like R. Lee Ermey, but his smaller role worked better in the remake of '03. With minor tweaking, it could be considered a remake of the remake of the original. Overall disappointing.

Grade: C-

Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:14 pm
Mod Team Leader

I thought the family in this one was as sadistic as any family in any film. They just didn't give a fuck about anyone. They were killers for the sake of being killers. That is what is bothersome about the film. This film shook me up. It made me shake a bit. Very well done, not quite as good as the others, but very effective.

Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I thought the family in this one was as sadistic as any family in any film. They just didn't give a fuck about anyone. They were killers for the sake of being killers. That is what is bothersome about the film. This film shook me up. It made me shake a bit. Very well done, not quite as good as the others, but very effective.

That's all I really liked about the movie. It's quite sick and disturbing.

Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:36 pm
Forum General

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water