Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Casualties of War 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Casualties of War 
College Boy Z

Post Casualties of War
Casualties of War

Quote:
Casualties of War is a 1989 war drama directed by Brian De Palma, with a screenplay by David Rabe, based on the actual events of the incident on Hill 192 in 1966 during the Vietnam War. It starred Michael J. Fox and Sean Penn.

An article written by Daniel Lang for The New Yorker in 1969 was the movie's primary source.

This film was, in a way, Fox's third major dramatic role. He had previously starred in the dramas Light of Day and Bright Lights, Big City. John C. Reilly and John Leguizamo make their screen debuts in the film, and the latter would again star with Penn in another picture by De Palma, 1993's Carlito's Way.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:31 pm
Mod Team Leader

Someone once wrote, "War is hell." And that is true. When a war is finished one side is declared winner and the other one has to pay war reparations. But really, there is never a winner in war. Life is lost, land is destroyed and crimes are committed. And I think that is the real issue in this film. If a crime is committed in the battle field, does one deserve to get punished for it? I have never been to war and I thank God for that, but I still think my opinion is a valid one. No one deserves to be brutalized ( I understand death on the battlefield is acceptable) or violated during war. That means anyone from a POW to an innocent civilian. Watching this film made me look at us as human beings and ask the question that I have asked so many times. What's wrong with us? What is it that makes people behave the way we do towards each other or towards other living things? It is a question that I think is impossible to get an answer for. Watching this film is hard because it takes a dark and evil subject and puts it right before our eyes. Reading about it would be bad enough, but to see it right before our eyes on 35 mm film is raw. And it is an experience that I will never forget.

What is bad about this film is the opening ten minutes and the final five. That is when we see Erickson in the present. It is a completely different film and these scenes have no business in the film itself. But if you discard fifteen minutes of film, what you are left with is one of the grittiest, most realistic and frustrating films to watch. What we see is six soldiers that are in the battle field. They kidnap a village girl because they are angry and frustrated with the war. She has nothing to do with it and the only crime she has committed is that she is a Vietnemese girl. Two of the soldiers are adament about the kidnapping and only one of them is dead set against it and actually shows remorse and resistance. The leader is Meserve, played with ferociousness by Sean Penn. I believed his portrayal so much that I really have a hard time watching him as the fun loving Spicolli in Fasttimes now. He plays Meserve with anger, bitterness and spite. He is angry, at what? Who knows. The war, the situation, the surroundings. Probably all of that. But his anger goes much deeper than that. I think he is just angry for being born and he is taking it out on the world, and this one unfortunate village girl happens to be his scratching post.

The rape scenes are especially hard to watch. They are on par with any of the rape scenes in Last House On The Left, and her death is just as disturbing as the ones in LHOTL and 8mm. Her death was meaningless and it could have been avoided. And when she died, I felt terrible. I felt ashamed that as a member of the human species one of my own kind could do this to another human.

To make this film work you have to have good performances. Sean Penn and Michael J. Fox are great. As I said Penn is so realistic that he bothers me now. Fox has a tricky role because you not only have to empathize with his character but he has to go through a wide array of emotions. Penn is just angry, Fox is all over the map. And he does an incredible job. Also good in her role is the girl who played the Vietnemese girl. DePalma let her write all her own dialogue and it is appropriate that she is not subtitled. None of her attackers would know what she is saying, so why should we? Besides, someone getting raped is a hard enough scene to watch in any launguage.

It's really too bad that the first and last parts of the film weren't handled better because this could have been one of the best films ever made. I still do hold it high on my list as one of the best war films ever made though. But I have to warn you, Saving Private Ryan is tough to watch because of its gritty realism on the battlefield. This one is just as hard to watch because we can put a face to the person that is getting violated. This should be a film that everyone sees once. Not so much because it is about war but because it is about how human beings are really a sick species, this film and incidents like it prove that. And that is sad.

9/10

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

excellent and disturbing film. sean penn is great.

A

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:04 am
now we know

Post Re: Casualties of War
Casualties of War

So I'm trying to go back and watch a few movies that I've always meant to and never got around to, like the big classics or hard-hitting, critically praised movies of the past 30 years; I think this counts as one of the latter.

A good, solid movie from a hit-and-miss director. The things that those 4 soldiers did were despicable, and the film has made me go back and look at the real story. In real-life, the guys that raped and killed that poor girl only got very short sentences. In fact, the corporal and sergeant (Penn) got 8 years, but were reduced with parole, and the other two (John C. Reilly and John Leguizamo in the movie) got 22 months and no conviction at all. The film makes it look tougher on crime than the US actually is. But that's a different story.

The film itself was good, but hard to watch. Michael J. Fox was pretty good, but I wish he stood up to his superiors a little earlier. Penn was a horrible fucking bastard, and I suppose that means he's a great actor because the film obviously wanted us to hate him, and I did, so it succeeded. The other actors were all fine too. I was annoyed throughout by the unwilling nature of most higher ranking officers to do anything about the incident. I would have wanted to see the four guys get a fate worse than just prison time; a nasty death would have satisfied me no end. Solid Vietnam war movie, better than Platoon, but I would have liked to see more of the life after the bus scene at the end.

I've actually seen quite a few from Brian De Palma, and this ranks as one of his best behind Mission: Impossible and Carlito's Way. It's about on-par with Scarface. Most of what he makes is trash, so I was lucky to not have seen one of his good ones.

B

Next war movie to watch: Hamburger Hill

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]