Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Wizard of Oz 

What grade would you give this film?
A 88%  88%  [ 14 ]
B 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 16

The Wizard of Oz 
College Boy Z

Post The Wizard of Oz
The Wizard of Oz

Quote:
The Wizard of Oz is a 1939 American musical fantasy film directed primarily by Victor Fleming from a script mostly by Noel Langley, Florence Ryerson and Edgar Allan Woolf, with uncredited contributions by others. It was based on the 1900 novel of the same name by L. Frank Baum, who died twenty years before this film was released. It features Judy Garland, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, Bert Lahr and Frank Morgan, with Billie Burke, Margaret Hamilton, Charles Grapewin, Clara Blandick and the Singer Midgets as the Munchkins. Notable in its use of special effects, use of Technicolor, fantasy storytelling and unusual characters, The Wizard of Oz has become, over the years, one of the best known of all films. Its impact, however, was not nearly as strongly felt at the time of its original release.

Dorothy Gale, a 12-year-old Kansas farmgirl, is knocked unconscious during a tornado. She, her dog Toto, and the farmhouse are apparently transported to the magical Land of Oz, where she sets out on the yellow brick road to the Emerald City to ask the Wizard of Oz to return her to Kansas. During her journey, she meets a Scarecrow, a Tin Man and a Cowardly Lion, who join her, hoping to receive what they lack themselves (a brain, a heart and courage, respectively). They are pursued by the Wicked Witch of the West, who wants her dead sister's magic ruby slippers, now worn by Dorothy. At the end of the film, Dorothy finds herself back in her own bed at the farmhouse, but in Kansas, where her aunt tries to convince her that she dreamt her adventures in Oz.

Initially, The Wizard of Oz made only a small profit due to its enormous budget, despite largely favorable critical reviews. "Over the Rainbow" won the Academy Award for Best Original Song and the film itself received several Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture. Telecasts of the film began in 1956, and because of them the film has found a larger audience—its television screenings were once an annual tradition and have re-introduced the film to the public, making The Wizard of Oz one of the most famous films ever made. The Library of Congress named The Wizard of Oz as the most-watched film in history. It is often ranked among the top ten best movies of all-time in various critics' and popular polls, and it has provided many memorable quotes.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:07 pm
Sbil

I find it hard to believe that a thread for this is just now being created.

I bet anything one already exists.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:24 pm
Devil's Advocate

C

Is it a nice little fairytale if you're a kid? Yes. However, looking at it with open eyes, it's painfully slow and boring. All the words and dialogue are so drawn out, it's truly the 30s version of bad childrens jokes and puns, and it's hard to sit through. It's dated, unbelievably.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:12 pm
Sbil

I'm going to get murdered for this.

C

Is it a nice little fairytale if you're a kid? Yes. However, looking at it with open eyes, it's painfully slow and boring. All the words and dialogue are so drawn out, it's truly the 30s version of bad childrens jokes and puns, and it's hard to sit through. It's dated, unbelievably.

:huh:

Um no.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:46 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I'm going to get murdered for this.

C

:lol: Don't mean to laugh about that line, Shack, but it's usually what one hears from somebody a little older than you are.

I disagree, by the way. This is a timeless classic that never gets old.

A

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:56 pm
Mod Team Leader

Not liking this is like not liking puppies or chocolate or the air that you breathe. This is a classic that never gets old. Next to Jaws and Stripes, this is the most I have watched any film.

10/10

How many people can lay claim to two of the best films ever made...and in the same year? Fleming did it with this and Gone With the Wind....kind of like Rambo II and Rocky IV in 1985. :tongue:

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Its basically the first true breakthrough in modern cinema since films became "talkies" For that alone it gets high props. Its got a good story, memorable characters, and fun songs. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but it holds up remarkably well for being almost 70 years old. It was made so simply that the effects though are noticably fake, they dont hurt the film at all.

A

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:42 pm
Killing With Kindness

A+

One of the greatest films ever made, once my all time fav, never gets old I could watch it forever.

Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Heh, my all-time favorite film, bar none. Holds up amazingly well with repeats. It's just that good. A+

Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:58 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: The Wizard of Oz
Seriously amazing.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:39 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Christ, Shack. You need to watch this again, preferably without those fifteen-year old hipster goggles I presume you were wearing the first time.

Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:51 pm
The 5th B-Sharp

Technicolor kind of ruined the populist/free silver allegory Baum may have had going didn't it.

Of course it's still an all time classic.

Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:11 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Somewhere over the rainbow..

A

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

At the time of it's release it was the best film of all time... and it stayed that way for another 15 years.

B+

Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:54 am
Extraordinary

Ev@n wrote:
At the time of it's release it was the best film of all time... and it stayed that way for another 15 years.

B+

So nothing before 1954 earns better than a B+ ?

Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:28 am
loyalfromlondon

Ev@n wrote:

B+

lol

Maybe you should try watching some movies from before you were born.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:00 pm

trixster wrote:
Ev@n wrote:

B+

lol

Lol, I've seen wayyyy more older movies than you think, trust me.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:25 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Ev@n wrote:
trixster wrote:
Ev@n wrote:

B+

lol

Doubt it.

So what 1954 movie are you cryptically referring to, a movie so good it got higher than a B+? On the Waterfront? Seven Samurai? Rear Window? Something kookier like La Strada?

Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:32 pm

yoshue wrote:
Ev@n wrote:
trixster wrote:
Ev@n wrote:

B+

lol

Doubt it.

So what 1954 movie are you cryptically referring to, a movie so good it got higher than a B+? On the Waterfront? Seven Samurai? Rear Window? Something kookier like La Strada?

I thought Rear Window came out a little later than 54? I was reffering to Them! FYI. And Rear Window happens to be the oldest movie to get an A from me.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:34 pm
Forum General

Wizard of OZ is a good film but is not the only film to warrant a B+ for over 15 years.

Glad to see you love Rear Window. One of mt friends said Disturbia was better! I re-educated him!

No "A" film was made between 1939 and 1954?

Imo Mr Smith goes To Washington (A), Casablanca(A+), Sunset Blvd(A+), It's a Wonderful Life(A), Double Indemnity(A) and All About Eve(A) are all at least B+ material, my friend...

Imo all those films above are better, sophisticated then the Wizard of OZ by miles.

Thats my opinion however people also love The Third Man(B), The Maltese Falcon(B+) and Citizen Cane(B-) and GWTW(B) from that time.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:02 pm
Profile WWW

Mannyisthebest wrote:
Wizard of OZ is a good film but is not the only film to warrant a B+ for over 15 years.

Glad to see you love Rear Window. One of mt friends said Disturbia was better! I re-educated him!

No "A" film was made between 1939 and 1954?

Imo Mr Smith goes To Washington (A), Casablanca(A+), Sunset Blvd(A+), It's a Wonderful Life(A), Double Indemnity(A) and All About Eve(A) are all at least B+ material, my friend...

Imo all those films above are better, sophisticated then the Wizard of OZ by miles.

Thats my opinion however people also love The Third Man(B), The Maltese Falcon(B+) and Citizen Cane(B-) and GWTW(B) from that time.

Well I've seen some of those. I gave MSGTW a B, and IAWL a B too. Casablanca gets an A- but I saw that after I made that post.

And also in that time I gave my oldest A+. Which ironically also is from 1954, Dial M For Murder.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:07 pm
Forum General

Dial M for Murder is great, an A- for me though...

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
I seriously hate this foofaraw.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:29 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

10/10 -> A

It's as simple as that. I loved this movie as a kid, I still love every second of it. I still hope that they will discover the Jitterbug sequence that was supposedly cut after the first studio viewing... The song is really good and catchy. And that rehearsal video looks like they had a great choreography...

Last edited by _axiom on Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I'm in the timeless classic camp...

Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next