Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Flyboys 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Flyboys 
Sbil

Post Flyboys
Flyboys

Quote:
Flyboys is a 2006 American drama film set during World War I, starring James Franco, Martin Henderson, Jean Reno, Jennifer Decker, David Ellison, Abdul Salis, Philip Winchester, and Tyler Labine. It was directed by Tony Bill, a pilot and aviation enthusiast. The screenplay was written by Phil Sears, Blake T. Evans and David S. Ward with the screen story by Blake T. Evans.

The film follows the enlistment, training and combat experiences of a group of young Americans who volunteer to become fighter pilots in the Lafayette Escadrille, the 124th air squadron formed by the French in 1916. The squadron consisted of 5 French officers and 38 American volunteers who wanted to fly and fight in World War I during the main years of the conflict, 1914–1917, before the United States later joined the war against the Central Powers.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:43 pm
Commander and Chef

review up tomorrow

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

http://www.worldofkj.com/reviews/Arsalan/flyboys.php

Quote:
Modern war films don't thrill me much. I may sound sadistic but I prefer battles that require contact or at least, close combat. Gun fights from 100 meters away, planes locking onto other jets and taking them out from great distances simply does not create much excitement for me. This is probably why I enjoyed Flyboys, as it portrayed a transitional era in warfare when modern machinery was only just getting integrated.

The story starts off by introducing us to a bunch of Americans who have all decided to volunteer to fight for the French in World War I for their own personal reasons. One lost his ranch, the other to keep the family hono,r while another to fight for the country that gave him shelter. They all gEt together at the airfield in France, to become part of the Lafayette Escadrille, a squadron of the first American fighter pilots. After the brief introduction followed by training exercises, the film's focus changes to the transition in the attitudes and relationships between the characters once they get their first taste of combat and the impact it has on them as each tries to either find their own purpose in the war or learn to deal with its horrors.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:35 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Nope, this one's pure propaganda aimed square at yer grandpappy! Or worse, your grandma!!! This film harks back to an era when killin' meant somethin'!!!!! And ya got to do it as a freakin' flyin' knight, fer chrissakes!!!!!!!! Onward Christian Soldiers, indeed. (Ironic, of course, given both sides were so-called "christians"...)

But what pure melodramatic propoganda it is! Lush retro-hype fresh from the birth of manipulative mass media. Who doesn't want to eat this stuff up? It's just so emotionally inviting - like a hooker after a flood, clinging to the teat of revenge.

As I mentioned in the BO thread, James Franco's been in so many war movies (Tristan & Isolde still easily remaining my favorite), that perhaps he needs to get a new sergeant...

Quality crap.

4 out of 5.

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:09 am
Pure Phase

Very entertaining WWI action film. James Franco (who is having a prolific year with Annapolis, Tristan & Isolde, and now this, not to mention a last-second cameo in a recent horror film) doesn't have a very big range, but his considerable, James Dean-esque intensity almost compensates. He's fine in the lead role here. The real star, however, is the action. The aerial combat sequences are rendered with dazzling CGI and had me on the edge of my seat. I also dug the understated romance between Franco's character and an introverted French beauty.

No, this isn't one of the year's 10 best films, but it is well-made and, as I said before, very entertaining. Recommended! B+.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:43 pm
All Star Poster

I really enjoyed this movie (especially considering I was expecting crap). The special effects were top notch and the story was quite well scripted. Despite all other James Franco roles (maybe the exception of Spiderman) James Franco actually delivered an amazing performance. Especially in comparison to Annapolis and Tristan and Isolde. This movie really played with my emotions (Most based on true stories do), but I wasn't expecting this one to for some reason. A-

Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:19 am
Profile WWW
Franco basically payed homage to Caper Van Dien's work in Starship Troopers.

I agree with the comments here. Pearl Harbor only pulpier.

B+

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:52 pm
New Server, Same X

Very enjoyable war movie. A little long, but well-made.

Grade: B+

Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]