Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The Deer Hunter 

What grade would you give this film?
A 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

The Deer Hunter 
College Boy Z

Post The Deer Hunter
The Deer Hunter

Quote:
The Deer Hunter is a 1978 Drama film co-written and directed by Michael Cimino about a trio of Rusyn American steel worker friends and their infantry service in the Vietnam War. The film stars Robert De Niro, Christopher Walken, Meryl Streep, John Savage, John Cazale, and George Dzundza. The story takes place in Clairton, a small working class town on the Monongahela River south of Pittsburgh and then in Vietnam, somewhere in the woodland and in Saigon, during the Vietnam War.

The film was based in part on a screenplay called "The Man Who Came To Play" by Louis Garfinkle and Quinn K. Redeker about Las Vegas and Russian Roulette. Producer Michael Deeley, who bought the script, hired writer/director Michael Cimino who, with Deric Washburn, rewrote the script, taking the Russian Roulette element and placing it in the Vietnam War. The film went over-budget and over-schedule and ended up costing $15 million.

The scenes of Russian roulette, while highly controversial on release, have been viewed as a metaphor for the Vietnam War itself. The film won five Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director and was named by the American Film Institute as the 53rd Greatest Movie of All Time on the 10th Anniversary Edition of the AFI's 100 Years…100 Movies list.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:48 pm
life begins now

Overrated, but a decent film nonetheless.

B

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:30 pm
Profile YIM
We had our time together

Yep it was a good movie but by far not the masterpiece I expected. The first hour with the wedding is way too long. And how many times can you play Russian Roulette in one movie? I also thought it would be much more intense. B

Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:43 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

It is too long, but it's a fantastic movie. I loved the last few minutes of the movie, especially the final scene. Meryl Streep was attractive in her youth! My grade: A.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:18 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: The Deer Hunter
Whoa, I loved this wayyyy more than I thought I would. It's really not about Vietnam at all, that's just the backdrop for a great character story and arc, which I found refreshing in a war movie (as opposed to something like Saving Private Ryan, which hardly has characters at all, just action scenes).

I think it's a credit to Cimino that he's able to spend an hour an a half before with the characters even go to Nam, and not only does the movie live through the time, but I'd actually say the pre-war part of this film is pretty much masterful. The wedding scene is unbelievably orchastrated, the character interactions and dialogue are all great, and of course, the scenes on the mountain... just some of the most beautiful shots in all of film. And when it cuts from that heaven immediately into pure hell, the impact is tremendous, it's like getting hit by a truck, a feeling lasts until the end of the movie and into the final game and climax, which by that point just broke me. It's truly one of the most affecting movies ever, by the end I felt like crawling into a ball and sulking.

The acting is amazing from all corners, among the best performances of De Niro's and Walken's career, Meryl does her regular thing (though I'm still not her biggest fan) and even John Savage steps up and does great work.

On that note, I'd also like to mention how shitty it is that John Cazale died right before this movie came out... after surely one of the best starts to a career I've seen (Godfather 1/2, The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon, Deer Hunter), he was well on his way to becoming a legendary supporting player. Shame.

Truly a masterpiece and one of the best movies of the 70s, and the best war film (if you can call it that) I have seen.

5/5

Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:04 pm
Extraordinary

Intensity incarnate.

Brilliant.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:33 pm
Another You

I thought it shouLd have been a 120-minute movie. Dissapointing to say this but the Can't Take My Eyes of You scene is more entertaining than the rest of the movie. The chemistry between the characters in the group was quite memorabLe though.

B-

Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:41 am
The Lubitsch Touch

I think Cimino puts too much emphasis on the Russian Roulette games. In fact, that's really the only taste of the war we get. Then he hangs the climax on it too. It's as though he realized it would play great on screen (and it does), so he wrote a movie around it. This is a Vietnam war movie without Vietnam.

It's also way too long, and if anyone dies while watching it I think the death certificate should read "death by metaphors."

Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:52 pm
Speed Racer

Incredible film.

9/10

Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]