Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Vanishing Point 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Vanishing Point 
College Boy Z

Post Vanishing Point
Vanishing Point

Quote:
Vanishing Point is a 1971 American action-road movie directed by Richard C. Sarafian; starring Barry Newman, Cleavon Little, and Dean Jagger.

Vanishing Point is notable for its scenery from filming locations across the American Southwest and its social commentary on the post-Woodstock mood in the United States. The film is beloved by Mopar auto enthusiasts because it prominently features a classic 1970 Dodge Challenger muscle car.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:47 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Easily the Best Road Movie ever made and a great symbol of the freedom and hope of the 60s being run down by the harsh reality that overtook it.

Anybody who thinks Fast and The Furious is the place to see the ultimate muscle car is missing this. Kowalski's Dodge Challenger is a character all of itself. Massive Tyres, Menacing profile and engine block that literally made the body flex on takeoff its a thing of true beauty. And the movie's human characters are just as Memorable. Kowalski's lost soul, Clevon Little's unforgettable DJ Supersoul and the littered assortment of drifters/ travellers and innocents that Kowalski comes across during his wild chase all elevate this to classic status. The Music is synced perfectly to each scene and the Ending is so brutal and shocking the first time you see it, forgot the Sixth Sense this is a true shock ending. I must have seen this movie over 50 times and it's still as incredible now as it was the first time I saw it. One of the best movies of the 70s and one of the best of all time.

A+

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:59 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Felt like bumping this after watching it for what feels like the 100th time.

The fact that i seem to be the only person to have seen this movie is depressing :cry:

Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:37 am
Gamaur's sex slave

The fact that i seem to be the only person to have seen this movie is depressing :cry:

You're not the only one my friend. :smile:

Have you seen Two-Lane Blacktop or the original Gone in 60 seconds? Will be watching both soon.

Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:02 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Gullimont-Kyro wrote:

You're not the only one my friend. :smile:

Have you seen Two-Lane Blacktop or the original Gone in 60 seconds? Will be watching both soon.

I'm not alone, cool :smile:

I've seen the original Gone in 60 Seconds. Story is a bit light but the car chase's are excellent especially considering the small budget. Actually it seems the 70s had all the best chases, Bullit, French Connection, Vanishing Point and 60 Seconds. Modern movie chases look horribly fake only decent modern one I can think of is in Ronin.

Did you see the deleted scene from Vanishing Point with Charlotte Rampling? Only saw it recently they should have left it in, its a haunting little section.

Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:26 am
Gamaur's sex slave

Did you see the deleted scene from Vanishing Point with Charlotte Rampling? Only saw it recently they should have left it in, its a haunting little section.

No. I saw it some years ago on TV. Where are those scenes? In the DVD?

I agree with your selection of car chase scenes. From recent movies I would also add the ones from The Bourne Supremacy. Although due to Greengrass' camera work it's sometimes confusing to know what exactly is going on.

Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:24 pm
Where will you be?

Post Re: Vanishing Point
A great little piece of cinematic existentialism. To be fair it's rather leisurely paced, but with cinematography that gets as beautiful as this, it's not hard to just sit back and let the visuals take you away.

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:36 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

MovieDude wrote:
A great little piece of cinematic existentialism. To be fair it's rather leisurely paced, but with cinematography that gets as beautiful as this, it's not hard to just sit back and let the visuals take you away.

Glad you liked it.

Yeah the pacing isn't to frenetic, slows down to a crawl in the middle with that interlude with the old man and snakes and Kowalski picking up the hitch-hikers.

Indeed in terms of Cinematography its top notch, I have no problem admitting to being being enticed by all the pretty pictures. :)

Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:08 am
Where will you be?

Gullimont wrote:
MovieDude wrote:

Glad you liked it.

Yeah the pacing isn't to frenetic, slows down to a crawl in the middle with that interlude with the old man and snakes and Kowalski picking up the hitch-hikers.

Indeed in terms of Cinematography its top notch, I have no problem admitting to being being enticed by all the pretty pictures. :)

How did you interpret the ending? Barry Newman said that Kowalski was so drugged that when he saw the light he thought he could make it through. I figure that it was a final symbol of how Kowalski needed freedom in any way he could take it.

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:32 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

MovieDude wrote:
Gullimont wrote:
MovieDude wrote:

Glad you liked it.

How did you interpret the ending? Barry Newman said that Kowalski was so drugged that when he saw the light he thought he could make it through. I figure that it was a final symbol of how Kowalski needed freedom in any way he could take it.

I subscribe to the second one as well. Althou he did dose himself with pills before the final run so the first suggestion also works.

I tend to alternate depending on my mood when i watch it (which is way to much).

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:14 pm
Squee

Oh yeah, I saw this.

Well made movie. I liked the flash backs for the most part, added depth to what could have been a shallow film. Im a little confused at why this little chase happened, though :lol: And why at the end.... the end happened.

Naked Biker chick, so random.

But a well made movie, with some good scenes. The Kawolski is totally manly.

:glare:

Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:51 pm
loyalfromlondon

Yeah, Gulli made me watch this. It drags on a bit too long, but that ending is killer. Kowalski is too cool.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]