Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Stir Crazy 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Stir Crazy 
College Boy Z

Post Stir Crazy
Stir Crazy

Quote:
Stir Crazy is a 1980 American comedy film starring Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor as down-on-their-luck friends who are given 125 year prison sentences after being framed for a bank robbery; while in prison they befriend other inmates and ultimately escape. In 2000, Total Film magazine voted it the 22nd greatest comedy film of all time. The film ended up grossing $101,300,000, making it the third largest grossing film in 1980, behind The Empire Strikes Back and Nine to Five.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:38 pm
Award Winning Bastard

The single greatest comedy of all time! This came out at a time when comedy was at it's zenith. The early 80's. Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder were the best comic pairing since Martin and Lewis, and I personally liked the former better, especially in Stir Crazy. It was directed by Sidney Poitier, of all people, and I'm sure Pryor and Wilder had more to do with it being so funny, but it's interesting that he has made his most memorable work in the comedy field, yet isn't really thought of when comedy is mentioned.

Probably my favorite scene was an improved scene between the two comedians while in their cell. As the story went, it was discovered by the warden that Skip (Wilder) had natural rodeo ability, because he was able to stay on their mechinical bull longer than anybody ever had by far. Skip, Harry (Pryor) and some of their prison mates decide to use the upcoming prison rodeo as their plan of escape. Their warden and a rival warden always make big money bets, so when the warden appraoched Skip, they planned for him to refuse and hold out until he could negotiate some things that would get him and his friends in some positions to escape. The warden tried many ways to break Skip down. Solitary confinement, working him hard on the chain gang with water not being available, etc..., and once after being away for a week in solitary, Skip is led back to the small cell he shares with his friend Harry, only to find that they have a new roommate, the hulking Grossberger, a mass murderer of record breaking proportions, and HUGE. Richard Pryor, with tears streaming down his face as he's being crushed by the massive frame of Grossberger who standing directly in front of Harry and pressing him against the structure behind him. (the bunk beds)

He's begging for help from Gene Wilder, and desperately tells Wilder "Don't touch him" :no: when Gene tries to reason with Grossberger about crushing his squashed friend. It must have been too much for Wilder to handle, and since it's the funniest scene I might have ever seen, I don't blame him, because you can hear him start laughing in the scene. It's in there! The scene is just too funny! (next would never do it justice because of it's reliance on expressions for the humor effect)

Of course, Pryor has a gay guy that starts coming onto him, and that leads to many funny moments, as does Wilder's naivity.

This is the crowned jewel in my holy trinity of favorite comedies ever. Stir Crazy, Caddyshack, and Stripes are the 3 best comedies ever, with Stir Crazy being #1.

A+

Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]