Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Kill Bill: Vol. 2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 62%  62%  [ 13 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21

College Boy Z

Post Kill Bill: Vol. 2

Quote:
Kill Bill is a two-part action thriller film released in 2003 and 2004 by writer-director Quentin Tarantino, and starring Uma Thurman as The Bride. Originally conceived as one film, it was released in two "volumes" (in late 2003 and early 2004) due to its running time of four hours and seven minutes and presented in a nonlinear narrative style, as is common among Tarantino's films.

The film is an epic-length revenge drama, with homages to earlier film genres such as Hong Kong martial arts films, Japanese chanbara films, exploitation films and Italian spaghetti westerns; an extensive use of popular music and pop culture references; and aestheticization of violence. Filming took place in California, Texas, Beijing, Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Mexico.

Loved Volume I for its action, but Volume II was better in the other aspects. And it had David Carradine, who's freakin' FANTASTIC. I would probably give the edge to this film, though together, it's perfection.

A-

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:19 am
Devil's Advocate

Can't say I loved it. I've just never been into the KB storyline, I've never been involved. The Kill Bills pale in comparison to Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, IMO.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:56 am
All Star Poster

Tarantino rules, I didnt think it was as good as Pulp Fiction, but Vol. 2 kicks ass, its almost perfection

A

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:57 am
Star Trek XI

A+

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:31 am
Profile YIM WWW
Aspiring Director

Why is this being discussed? Pretty random...

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:01 am
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

A great 2nd chapter to the Kill Bill story. I can never decide if I like it better than the first one. I do like how it deals with Bill and Elle Driver, my two favorite characters, and deserving of Oscars for both their roles, respectively!

The fight between Elle and Beatrix was awesome.

The scene where she was buried alive was so well done that it made me very uncomfortable to watch. I felt like I was in that coffin that had been nailed shut. :sad:

If I had one real disappointment with the Kill Bill movies, it's that it didn't show the masacre how I would have liked to see it. I thought it was an interesting way that it DID show it, but I would have liked to see the assassins taking apart Beatrix to show how vicious they all were. The animated showing of this in Vol. 1 just didn't have any kind of impact like that.

Small complaint, though.

A-

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:25 am
loyalfromlondon

It's definitely the more story-oriented of the two, and that might hurt it. Since volume one is all action, all of the plot and character development is left to this part, which makes it a bit too long and talky. That's not to say the dialogue isn't good, because it is, but parts of this film - especially near the end - drag on a lot longer than they need to. The climax takes forever, and then it is somewhat anti-climatic, though the final act of revenge was fitting. The action is sparse but awesome, and the acting is significantly better - probably because David Carradine's actually in this one - but it is slightly worse than the first volume. Although, Pai Mei is my favourite character in the set, so I have to give it props for that.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:40 pm
Stanley Cup

B+/A-, its hard to compare 1 & 2 becuase they are so vastly different films.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:50 pm
life begins now

Maybe better than I? I dunno, but it's fantastic as well. I think I may have enjoyed this one more, if only because of Carradine who is brilliant.

A-

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:58 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

I'll only rate it s one movie, because that's what it is, and neither works particularly well on its own, but together, it's brilliant.

A

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:42 am
Wallflower

Post Re: Kill Bill Vol. 2
I prefer this a bit to Volume 1, even if it has less action. I remember the first time I watched it I was very disappointed Bill's comeuppance wasn't more brutal. But after seeing it again knowing what was going to happen I have to say I found the outcome quite fitting. Uma Thurman, Daryl Hannah, and David Carradine are all terrific and Oscar-worthy.

Would love to eventually see the release of "The Whole Bloody Affair" with the added scenes. Now that I would see theatrically. Would be cool to see it receive a theatrical release someday before being released on Blu-ray.

I rated the first a B+ and this an A-, but on a whole I would rate it an A-.

Wed May 11, 2011 12:38 am
Ocarina of Time

Post Re: Kill Bill: Vol. 2
Love these series, specially the first first film, Vol. 2 was great, though Bill's death was pretty lame, imo

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:13 pm

In my opinion, this is the most emotional of Tarantino's films. The last chapter is epic and engrossing, twisted and almost ironically tragic. I easily prefer this half of this two part movie, mostly due to this half being much more emotionally engaging, but also because Pei Mei and Bill shine brightly as memorable characters in this half. I wouldn't call it one of my all time favorites, but it is certainly excellent.

Also, is it just me, or does Uma Therman get snubbed for an Oscar nomination for this film?

A

Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:17 pm
Your Knife, My Back. My Gun, Your Head.

A-

Both KB's are good. Not on the levels of Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Jackie Brown - imo.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:29 pm
We had our time together

I've recently watched all Tarantino movies in preparation for Django and this one was actually quite easily, my favorite. Volume 2 grew a lot on me over the years and I think it's much better than the first. The fight between Elle and Beatrix is one of the best ever and I love all the Pei Mei stuff as well as the awesome showdown. Oh and Michael Madsen was just brilliant.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Yeah.. well, then I liked the first half of the movie not nearly as much as the second.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

If that were true, then it really should have been released as such.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I find Vol. 2 better than Vol. 1, but Vol. 1 is more rewatchable.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Dr. Lecter wrote:
I find Vol. 2 better than Vol. 1, but Vol. 1 is more rewatchable.

+1

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:05 pm
Profile WWW

I like Vol. 2 more and I find Vol. 2 more rewatchable.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:36 pm
Wallflower

With Basterds and Django being such big hits they should really consider giving "The Whole Bloody Affair" a wide theatrical release. That would be awesome.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:11 am

Magic Mike wrote:
With Basterds and Django being such big hits they should really consider giving "The Whole Bloody Affair" a wide theatrical release. That would be awesome.

This

I did like Django (try giving it another shot with a bunch of friends during a night of drinking, I was disapointed upon my first viewing as well Mike), but I still think Kill Bill is my favorite western of all time.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:14 am
now we know

I preferred Volume 1. By the time Volume 2 got around to it, I was bored by this story. It's a 4 hour revenge movie. No way does a revenge movie need to be 4 hours long, or two movies long, which ever way you cut it, it's too damn long.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:29 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Algren wrote:
I preferred Volume 1. By the time Volume 2 got around to it, I was bored by this story. It's a 4 hour revenge movie. No way does a revenge movie need to be 4 hours long, or two movies long, which ever way you cut it, it's too damn long.

It could have been longer for all I care ;). I sure hope we see a third someday.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:23 am
Wallflower

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
I did like Django (try giving it another shot with a bunch of friends during a night of drinking, I was disapointed upon my first viewing as well Mike), but I still think Kill Bill is my favorite western of all time.

I won't see it again theatrically as there are way too many movies out/coming out I want to get to. But I'm sure I'll see it again on Blu-ray.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next