Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 His Girl Friday 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 8 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

His Girl Friday 
College Boy Z

Post His Girl Friday
His Girl Friday

Quote:
His Girl Friday is a 1940 American screwball comedy film directed by Howard Hawks, an adaptation by Charles Lederer, Ben Hecht and Charles MacArthur of the play The Front Page by Hecht and MacArthur. The change in this version is that the role of Hildy Johnson was converted from male to female.

The film stars Cary Grant as Walter Burns and Rosalind Russell as Hildy Johnson and features Ralph Bellamy as Bruce Baldwin. It is noted for its rapid-fire dialogue.

The film was #19 on American Film Institute's 100 Years…100 Laughs and has been selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry. The film is in the public domain, even though the 1928 play it is based on is still under copyright. This has not kept Columbia Pictures from officially releasing the film on home video (many unauthorized releases of varying quality also exist from different companies).

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:32 pm
Madoshi

One of the best screwballs, and the defining Howard Hawks comedy. The "plot" is not really important, the film is centered around Grant and Russell in a proto-typical screwball setup. But what makes it Hawks is the speed. The dialogue and plot proceed at breakneck pace with no let up. The defining moment is almost at the beginning when Grant races through a set up piece while Russell beneath him imitates an actioneer (brbrbrbrbrbrbrrrrrrrrrr....sold for 50 american!). A must see film produced when the studio system was at its height.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

This film is in the public domain. Maybe I'll check it out online.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:16 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: His Girl Friday
Love the speed of the thing, but it's far from my favorite screwball. The Front Page, even in '41, was simply too tired as material. But the relationship fun works wonderfully; Grant and (especially) Russell are at the top of their game.

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:49 pm
Extraordinary

pretty much one of the best movies ever

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:10 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I just seen this for the first time. Man, it was good! What velocity with words, this rivals Bringing Up Baby as far as speed with words goes! Cary Grant gives a great performance, I think it may be my favorite of his that I have seen so far. Rosalind Russell I don't think I had ever seen any of her movies, but she's a revelation, 70 years after the fact. Her performance is up wih K.Hep's in Baby. Glory be to Howard Hawks!

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:16 pm
Profile WWW

I expected to love it, but not like this. Easily one of the most enjoyable and entertaining movies I've ever seen. I haven't been impacted by a movie like this since All About Eve after a first view. Absolutely brilliant and indescribably amazing. I've been on a Howard Hawks kick lately I just realized, seen this, bringing up baby, and The Big Sleep. I was beginning to wonder what all the hype about him was, I liked the other two quite a bit but they didn't strike me as revelations, nothing that compared to Billy Wilder at his best. But this was a revelation, I can't wait to watch it again (and probably will in about 12 hours.)

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:26 am
Devil's Advocate

Watching the fast paced dialog and characters talking over each other was entertaining, and Rosalind Russell, an actress I didn't know was great. I found it a somewhat cynical movie and not just a lighthearted screwball, as these characters are basically sociopaths who don't care who gets in their way for the story, especially Cary Grant's character. It is an interesting watch with journalism currently at an all time low in 2020. The tone of the movie would be different if he was genuinely hoping for the best thing for her at the end, but since he was just fucking around and had put her fiancee in jail again, it's clear neither of them had learned anything about why their marriage didn't work the first time and she was just addicted to the jerk/the job again.

Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]