Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Leaving Las Vegas 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Leaving Las Vegas 
College Boy Z

Post Leaving Las Vegas
Leaving Las Vegas

Quote:
Leaving Las Vegas is a 1995 romantic drama film directed and written by Mike Figgis, based on a semi-autobiographical novel of the same name by John O'Brien. Nicolas Cage stars as a suicidal alcoholic who has ended his personal and professional life to drink himself to death in Las Vegas. While there, he forms a relationship with a hardened prostitute, played by Elisabeth Shue, which forms the center of the film. O'Brien committed suicide two weeks after production of the film started. A halt was considered, but work continued as a tribute.

Leaving Las Vegas was filmed in super 16mm instead of 35 mm film which is most commonly used for mainstream film, although 16 mm is common for art house films. After limited release in the United States on October 27, 1995, Leaving Las Vegas made its nationwide release on February 9, 1996, receiving praise from critics and audiences. Cage received the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor - Motion Picture Drama and the Academy Award for Best Actor, while Shue was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress. The film also received nominations for Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Director.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:46 pm
Sbil

Tremendous performances from Nicolas Cage and Elisabeth Shue, but extremely depressing. A-

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:39 pm
You must have big rats

It's a devastating and depressing film that depicts alcoholism better than any other movie I have ever seen. I actually think that the movie is underrated because not too many remember it nowadays. It is really a very good film, though. The romance between Cage and Shue feels real and you feel for both of the characters' miseries. Nicholas Cage who I have always appreciated as an actor delivers his truly best performance here and was fully deserving of his Oscar win. Elisabeth Shue provides an equally great counterpart to him. Mike Figgis' directing style is reserved, but certain. Great movie that more people should see. Not only the best on alcoholism, but one of the best films ever dealing with an addiction.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re: Leaving Las Vegas
Surprised Cage won the oscar for this. He's just his usual unhinged self, maybe even more so, but I figured that'd be a turn off. Furthermore, looking at the nominations that year, I can't believe Heat got shut out of everything!

Solid flick though. The music is great and they represent Vegas very well. Never really understood why he was doing what he was doing, I feel like most alcoholics drink because its the only way they can feel alive rather than do it to intentionally kill themselves, but I guess that's a topic for another film.

B

Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]