Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Thin Red Line 

What grade would you give this film?
A 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
B 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
C 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
D 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19

The Thin Red Line 
College Boy Z

Post The Thin Red Line
The Thin Red Line

Quote:
The Thin Red Line is a 1998 American war film which tells a fictional story of United States forces during the Battle of Guadalcanal in World War II. It portrays men in C Company, and in particular, those soldiers played by Jim Caviezel, Nick Nolte, and Ben Chaplin.

The film marked director Terrence Malick's return to filmmaking after a 20-year absence. He wrote the screenplay based on the novel by James Jones. It features a large ensemble cast, including performances and cameos by notable actors, including Sean Penn, Adrien Brody, George Clooney, John Cusack, Jared Leto, and John Travolta. Reportedly, the first assembled cut took seven months to edit and ran five hours. By the final cut, all footage of the performances by Billy Bob Thornton, Martin Sheen, Gary Oldman, Bill Pullman, Lukas Haas, Jason Patric, Viggo Mortensen and Mickey Rourke had been removed. The film was scored by Hans Zimmer, with additional music from John Powell and shot by John Toll.

While not successful at the North American box office, the film was popular elsewhere, grossing $98 million against its $52 million budget. Critical response was generally strong and the film was nominated for seven Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Best Original Score and Best in Sound Mixing. It won the top prize Golden Bear at the 1999 Berlin International Film Festival. Martin Scorsese ranked it as his second favorite film of the 1990s on At the Movies. Gene Siskel called it "the greatest contemporary war film I've seen."

Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:58 am
Mod Team Leader

This movie is so bad that when the crowd that I saw it with ( a pretty packed theater ) found out that the guy who loved his wife so much lost his wife to infidelity, we all laughed. And we laughed because it was the appropriate thing to do. This is the kind of movie where 19 year old kids are talking like they are Confuscious. None of it makes any sense. You laugh because the point is hammered into your head like a sledgehammer that he loves her so much that it becomes redundant after the first flashback. I didn't care about any of the characters and I really do like the cast that was assembled. But what they saw in this script is beyond me and judging by the box office, it is beyond everyone else as well. This is really a piece of garbage. The cast is fantastic but what a mess. The writing in this makes you glad that the guy lost his wife to some other guy.

F

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

First movie I walked out of the theater. D

Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:42 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

this is a commanding work of art and in my top 25 of the 90s. i give it an A.

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:33 am
Profile ICQ
Extraordinary

This movie is the cure for insomnia, a boring ass film that makes shitting more interesting.

*1/2 out of ****

D

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

Overshadowed by Saving Private Ryan, but much better.

:glare:

Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:06 am
Extraordinary

It probably would have been quicker to sit through WWII, than this endlessly episodic meditation on war...

2 out of 5.

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:40 am
You must have big rats

I wonder if anyone will give it a middle ground grade. So far, it's either hate or love.

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:02 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Incredible film. Beautiful cinematography, fantastic acting, and a powerful, unforgettable screenplay. One of my ten favorite films. A+

Terrence Malick is such a genius. He's never made a bad movie.

Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:14 pm
Teenage Dream

Post Re: The Thin Red Line
Wow. This tiny, rather insignificant thread has actually made me hate a couple of posters here. Like full blown hate. Interesting.

Anyway, I re watched this late last night, and its devastating impact still catches me by surprise to this day. I only wish it could have made the cut at our currently running KJ top 100 of all time. I would have put it right next to 2001, where it belongs. Masterpiece is an understatement.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:57 pm
Sbil

This is my least favorite Best Picture nominee of the last 20 or so years. I don't hate the movie, I just find it extremely dull and frustrating to watch. It's beautifully filmed and generally well-acted, but pales in comparison to the other WWII saga released in the same year, Saving Private Ryan. C

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:03 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
I wonder if anyone will give it a middle ground grade. So far, it's either hate or love.

I have it at B range. The emotional impact is undeniable, and Malick never fails visually, but on the other hand, I do feel it's 30 minutes too long and lost my attention in the latter half.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:12 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: Re:
xiayun wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

I have it at B range. The emotional impact is undeniable, and Malick never fails visually, but on the other hand, I do feel it's 30 minutes too long and lost my attention in the latter half.

To be honest I'd be around that area as well, maybe B-.

The battle sequences are brutally raw (more so then Ryan) but Malick goes way to far with the mind masturbation.

Still the cast list was stunning to behold.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:24 pm
Begging Naked

I'm really, really scared to watch this. I enjoyed Badlands and LOVED The New World, but...3 hours? That's a lot of time for potential boredom. And I've heard of plenty others that loved The New World and disliked this. Oy. :unsure:

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
The Antichrist

A little (too) slow, but still better than Saving Private Ryan. Definitely not a movie for everyone.
B+(+)

Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:50 am
On autopilot for the summer

Ah, this fucking movie. I hated it. So dam long, and the biggest waste of a cast I've ever seen. Saving Private Ryan owned this movie.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:29 am
Extraordinary

Omni wrote:
Definitely not a movie for everyone.

Ya got that right! It's averaging C- in the poll, surely one of the lowest scores for a "serious" movie in the history of WOKJ...

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:44 am
Cream of the Crop

Post Re:
Riggs27 wrote:
First (and last) movie I walked out of the theater. D

And when I got it at home, it took me 3 days to watch the whole thing.

D-

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

So I loved the New World, so I'm not a Malick hater by any means. But this was extremely dull. Way too long and way too boring.

C-

Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:03 pm
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

I got through a bunch of it, then the disk errored up so I had to take it out and clean it. After putting it back in and going to chapter search, I found out I was only on chapter 10 of 31. My reaction, "Fuck it, I'm not watching this for 2 more hours." I couldn't take any more of it, up to that point it had felt so long that I was in shock it was only 1/3 through.

What bored me most was not the pace, but lack of any interesting characters or dialogue whatsoever. I didn't know any of their names, I didn't care when they went off into randomly pretentious narration, I didn't care what was happening to them. The visual look was fine, but by all means not enough to be watchable on its own, unlike say The New World. The acting was good, the war scenes were very visceral, but I couldn't take this.

zzz

Hard to grade without seeing the full film, but from what I saw, I would give this a big fat F.

Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:18 pm
Indiana Jones IV

One of my favorite movies of all time.

3- Lone Survivor 8.5/10
4- Captain America 8.0/10
5- 300: 8.0/10

Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

The cinematography is beautiful, as is the score. I kept feeling like there was something I was missing though. Was there a spiritual connection lost on me? I read that Malick had to cut over half the movie from the first edit, and chose to eliminate most of the dialogue. The cast do well with the screen time they're given though. Can't hate it, but didn't love it. 6.5/10

Thu May 12, 2011 11:53 pm
We had our time together

When I first saw this I was 11 and after 70 minutes I begged my father to leave the theater with me. So, I finally watched this again and I (almost) loved it. It's really beautiful at times and I wasn't bored at all this time. Glad I gave it a second chance.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
In addition to the cast seen in the final cut of the film, Billy Bob Thornton, Martin Sheen, Gary Oldman, Bill Pullman, Lukas Haas, Viggo Mortensen and Mickey Rourke also performed, but their scenes were eventually cut.

Anybody know if their scenes were put back in? On a DVD release?

Any pictures?

It's such an interesting movie in terms of stars and their respective screen time.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:27 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

It shows the madness of war like no other war film ever has. It looks beyond the dead bodies, the blood, the bombs and the bullets.

3- Lone Survivor 8.5/10
4- Captain America 8.0/10
5- 300: 8.0/10

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next