Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Mallrats 

What grade would you give this film?
A 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
C 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Mallrats 
College Boy Z

Post Mallrats
Mallrats

Quote:
Mallrats is a 1995 film written and directed by Kevin Smith. It is the second to be set in Smith's View Askewniverse series of interlocking films set mostly in New Jersey, although the movie was filmed in Eden Prairie Center and Osowski's Flea Market which are located in Minnesota. As in the other View Askewniverse movies, the characters Jay and Silent Bob figure prominently, and characters and events from other films are discussed. Several cast members, including Jason Lee, Ben Affleck, and Joey Lauren Adams, have gone on to work in several other Smith films. Comic book icon Stan Lee made a cameo appearance, as did Brian O'Halloran, the star of Smith's breakout feature Clerks.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:55 am
Devil's Advocate

Smith's worst of what I've seen so far, but still pretty decent. Felt the ending was too cliche, it felt like the same old cheesy romantic comedy. In fact the whole storyline with the lead T.S. and his girlfriend was pretty boring I thought, both are incredibly bland actors, I can see why Smith didn't include them in all his other movies like Joey Lauren Adams or Ben Affleck. What makes the film is Jason Lee, who is just one of the best comedic actors of this generation, like most of his work he's unstoppable here, lighting up the screen in every scene. JLA is also entertaining as always in her short role, Doherty does enough to make her cheer for her, Affleck did a fine asshole(no pun intended!), and Jay and Silent Bob were as lovable as always though a bit dumbed down I thought, with Bob's only words not being as memorable as they are in his other movies. I loved the idea of a mall setting for a comedy, this was merely good fluff, but I wonder how a comedy taking itself a bit more seriously a la Chasing Amy would work in it, an ensemble piece if you will.

So overall an enjoyable flick, but the cliches take it down from the likes of Smith's top tier movies. And yes, I did see this just tonight, on the eve of the thread being created. Sweet coincidence.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:08 am
On autopilot for the summer

Funny movie, Michael Rooker and Jason Lee make this movie. Its not their best film, but its not a bad movie, though it did bomb stangely enough, its basically the biggest Cult movie of the Smith movies. B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:04 am
Forum General

This ties with Dogma as my favorite Kevin Smith movie. Of course, more than anything else, it's the inside jokes that are mostly retroactive that make it.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:10 am
Mod Team Leader

My least favourite Smith film as well. I just didn't think he capitalized on the success of Clerks well enough with this one.

C

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

I thought Mallrats was hilarious, actually.

This would've been nearly perfect if they had excised Jeremy London's storyline.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:11 pm
loyalfromlondon

The worst of Kevin Smith's films. Funny at times, but quite idiotic and poorly acted - save for Jason Lee, who steals the show. Jay and Silent Bob are particularly annoying here, and some of the jokes are mind-numbingly dumb. A step down from Clerks, which is saying something.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:52 pm
New Server, Same X

A transitional film that stumbles, in comparison to "Clerks" (my second favorite movie of all-time), but still comes up as a great movie, thanks largely to Jason Lee. If the movie was smaller (like Clerks), I think it could have been even better. But because it was a real movie with a real budget, I think it does have a feeling of "good, not the best". It reminds me of J&SBSB and Jersey Girl. The former was expected to end the quintology of the Askewniverse, and the latter was Smith's first attempt at something with brand new characters. To me, neither measure up to Clerks, Chasing Amy or Dogma, but in their own right, they're good. ... well, maybe not Jersey Girl. That's the redheaded stepchild of Kevin Smith's career.

Grade: B+

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:17 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Dogma- A+
Clerks II A+
Chasing Amy A+
Clerks A
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back B+
Mallrats B+
Jersey Girl C

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:03 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Mallrats
Hiarious.

A

Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]