Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 La dolce vita 

What grade would you give this film?
A 80%  80%  [ 8 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

La dolce vita 
College Boy Z

Post La dolce vita
La dolce vita

Quote:
La Dolce Vita (Italian for "the sweet life" or "the good life") is a 1960 film by the critically acclaimed director Federico Fellini. The film is a story of a passive journalist's week in Rome, and his search for both happiness and love that will never come. Generally cited as the film that marks the transition between Fellini's earlier neo-realist films and his later art films, it is widely considered one of the great achievements in world cinema.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:37 am
Extraordinary

Eh, this review is two years old, and was probably one of the first five reviews I ever did. Maybe I will re-write it when I have the time.

http://www.worldofkj.com/reviews/Galia/Ladolcevita.php

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:38 am
Draughty

I'm surprised at the D grade. You really tore that to shreds.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:58 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

of course i am going to give this colossal achievement in filmmaking an A. i own the dvd, the soundtrack and a film poster.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:17 am
Profile ICQ
htm

I'm sick of rerenting it, but it is so expensive. I keep eyeballing this 80 dollar set in the store, but I absolutely CAN'T spend so much on a DVD... the other releases are all over 30$ as well. Sniff.

I've seen this three times now...

Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:36 pm
Extraordinary

I'm sick of rerenting it, but it is so expensive. I keep eyeballing this 80 dollar set in the store, but I absolutely CAN'T spend so much on a DVD... the other releases are all over 30$ as well. Sniff.

I've seen this three times now...

That's a good number. I see its gone up in your estimations with those additional movies? Its often alot to take in with just one sitting. There are few movies out today that demand that much of their audiences. I'm glad to see you're even considering buying it. So am I, but hesitate for the same reasons. I have a few of Fellini's other DVDs however. I'm contemplating including it as a gift for the International Film Festival. That's steep, but I'm still toying with the idea.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:21 pm
htm

You would die to have the set, I think... assuming we are talking about the same one...

The more I watch it, the more I appreciate it. IIRC, I gave it a B+ the first time and now about an A-. I'll add it to my queue again and post fresh comments on what strikes me the most....

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:26 pm
Extraordinary

Watch Night of Cabiria first. Then when you return to La Dolce Vita, it will be even richer. He made the two movies in consecutive order, and I think taken together they are his peak. At the least, its interesting to see what he did right before La Dolce Vita. I love them both.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:31 pm
Extraordinary

I certainly see why it has such a reputation. So rich in it symbolisms. Yin and yang. Started with a stunning beginning and punctuated by a perfect ending.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]