Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Devil Wears Prada 

What grade would you give this film?
A 43%  43%  [ 22 ]
B 41%  41%  [ 21 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 51

The Devil Wears Prada 
Sbil

Post The Devil Wears Prada
The Devil Wears Prada

Quote:
The Devil Wears Prada is a 2006 comedy-drama film, a loose screen adaptation of Lauren Weisberger's 2003 novel of the same name. It stars Anne Hathaway as Andrea Sachs, a recent college graduate who goes to New York City and gets a job as a co-assistant to powerful and demanding fashion magazine editor Miranda Priestly, played by Meryl Streep. Emily Blunt and Stanley Tucci co-star in support of the two leads, as catty co-assistant Emily Charlton, and critical yet supportive Art Director Nigel, respectively. Adrian Grenier, Simon Baker and Tracie Thoms play key supporting roles. Wendy Finerman produced and David Frankel directed; the film was distributed by 20th Century Fox.

Streep's performance drew rave reviews from critics and later earned her many award nominations, including her record-setting 14th Oscar bid, as well as the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical. Blunt also drew favorable notice and nominations, as did many of those involved in the film's production. While critical reaction to the film as a whole was more measured, it was well received by the public, becoming a surprise summer box-office hit following its June 30 North American release. The commercial success and critical praise for Streep's performance continued in foreign markets, with the film leading the international box office for most of October. The U.S. DVD release likewise was the top rental during December. Ultimately, it would gross over $300 million, mostly from its international run, and finish in 2006's top 20 both in the U.S. and overseas. It is also the second highest-grossing film in Streep's career (the first being Mamma Mia!) and the third highest in Hathaway's career, the first two being Alice in Wonderland and Rio.

Although the movie is set in the fashion world, most designers and other fashion notables avoided appearing as themselves for fear of displeasing U.S. Vogue editor Anna Wintour, who is widely believed to have been the inspiration for Priestly. Many designers allowed their clothes and accessories to be used in the film, making it the most expensively costumed film in history. Wintour later overcame her initial skepticism, saying she liked the film and Streep in particular.

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:09 pm
htm

Spectacular performance from you-know-who.

I thought it was fantastic.... if only because of her. She really does elevate this. Every second she is on screen is perfect. If only the rest of the movie wasn't so mediocre.

If only I could aspire to be as twisted as Miranda Priestly.

Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:54 pm
Team Kris

It really captured the tone and the feel of the book (and that was actually one of the most mediocre works I've ever read) - but the actors in the film made it a little bit more fun. She-of-the-13-Oscar-nominations definitely delivered - mannered, vile, and witty without chewing the scene. I do want her to get a 14th nomination this year.

Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:23 pm
htm

Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:58 am
Team Kris

She really made the movie, didn't she?

Yes, Miranda.

Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:53 pm
Extraordinary

Very well written finding-yourself story with the fashion world as a backdrop. It is both very funny and very touching.

Of course, every rave about Meryl Streep is deserved - already her second great role this year after Yolanda in Prairie Home Companion, and the yet to be released Ant Bully as the Queen Ant, no less...

But what I'm really surprised to [s]hear about[/s] not hear about is Anne Hathaway. This über-cutie is always astoundingly good in every movie I've seen her in (for example in the much under-rated Ella Enchanted). Here she is perfect in this ugly duckling/swan with an ugly heart/full on swan tale. I'm looking forward to her future work.

Nice to see a quality movie like this amongst the summer dreck...

5 out of 5.

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:35 pm
Extraordinary

sunnier wrote:
She really made the movie, didn't she?

Yes, Miranda.

"That's all."

:glare:

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:43 pm
Teenage Dream

The first 45 minutes or so were great, but it quickly degenerates into an extremely predictable and cliche picture.

C-

Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:35 am

Yes the movie is predictable, so is the source material. The book and the film is more about the MIranda Pressly chracter then Andy's story. Miranda and the staff of Runway are far more interesting in both the book and hte movie then Andy, her boyfriend or Christian.

Meryl Streepw as perfect, she added depth and layers to the chracterr that weren't in the book. The looks Meryl Streep give in this film say so much. Streep makes this movie, I hope comes award time people at leat bring up her. On the heelsof hte totally different character she played in Prairie Home Companion this is yet another reminder of why Streep has been nominated so many times...she is just that good.

Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:36 am
htm

Yes the movie is predictable, so is the source material. The book and the film is more about the MIranda Pressly chracter then Andy's story. Miranda and the staff of Runway are far more interesting in both the book and hte movie then Andy, her boyfriend or Christian.

Meryl Streepw as perfect, she added depth and layers to the chracterr that weren't in the book. The looks Meryl Streep give in this film say so much. Streep makes this movie, I hope comes award time people at leat bring up her. On the heelsof hte totally different character she played in Prairie Home Companion this is yet another reminder of why Streep has been nominated so many times...she is just that good.

Exactly... on all accounts. The story is a rehash of a rehash but Streep elevates it immensely. Very memorable character, imo. And any moment inside Runway was interesting and even fresh, imo. It was Andy's personal life that dragged the story down, and like dolce mentioned, do we even get a sense of why she sacrificed a year of her life? I was disappointed with the way the story ended her character... hardly as dimensional as Streep, who doesn't need to say a single word to express a handful of emotions.

Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:15 pm

Ripper wrote:

Exactly... on all accounts. The story is a rehash of a rehash but Streep elevates it immensely. Very memorable character, imo. And any moment inside Runway was interesting and even fresh, imo. It was Andy's personal life that dragged the story down, and like dolce mentioned, do we even get a sense of why she sacrificed a year of her life? I was disappointed with the way the story ended her character... hardly as dimensional as Streep, who doesn't need to say a single word to express a handful of emotions.

Andy was boring in the book, and whe is more boring here, but given the source mateiral I am not surprised. Her boyfriend was more interesting in the book though, but in the end I had fun and Streep and Tucci were such a joy to watch. The both throw everything in acting, from clothing, body language, voice. Hathaway does the best she can with a part that has no meat in it whatsoever, so is charming which is the best you can hope for.

The book wasn't exaclty Pride and Prejudice. Streep deserves to be up for awards for her role.

The author follow up book to Prada wasn't very good, it was clearly trying in the same vein but wihtout the whispers that it was basedon Anne Wintour the second book was very meh.

I love your avatar even more. I want to go see the movie again, to just to enjoy Streep performance yet again.

Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:40 pm
Team Kris

Cynthia, try seeing it again, I enjoyed it more a second time and noticed more quirks/tics among the characters. Streep's performance still looked fresh and fun to me.

Strange, as I find myself relating to the Emily character more, I was just like her before: disgruntled, ready for a promotion, then someone younger who didn't really want the job initially instead got offered the position, leaving poor little old me to wallow... though I wish I would've gotten hit by a taxi as well.

Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:40 am
Extraordinary

I liked the Emily character. She was the only person in that thing that was over-the-top enough to make it fun. Otherwise it would have been a drama *shudders*

By the way, the actress is Emily Blunt from My Summer of Love. Nice to see she has made a break through. She's wonderful actress. Anyone who hasn't seen My Summer of Love should, and then they will really get a feel for how versatile she is, as its the other end of the spectrum from her role in Devil Wears Prada.

Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:57 am
Team Kris

I liked the Emily character. She was the only person in that thing that was over-the-top enough to make it fun. Otherwise it would have been a drama *shudders*

By the way, the actress is Emily Blunt from My Summer of Love. Nice to see she has made a break through. She's wonderful actress. Anyone who hasn't seen My Summer of Love should, and then they will really get a feel for how versatile she is, as its the other end of the spectrum from her role in Devil Wears Prada.

Aha! That's where she's from...

I'm still laughing at her hideous shirt convention comment. She's my new eye-roll mistress.

"I just started this new diet. Basically I don't eat anything, and then when I feel like I'm going to faint, I eat a cube of cheese."

Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:07 pm
Extraordinary

I knew she looked familiar... Hehe, I enjoyed her in the film.

I found it really enjoyable. I think if more was done with Hathaway's character, I would have loved it. But... yeah, Streep's terrific, and Hathaway's is good with what she's given.

Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:46 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

It was kinda funny.

It focused TOO much on Andy... despite the story being about her... she just seemed like a secondhand character. I didn't care for her at all.

Nigel/Nate/Miranda were the only characters I liked. They were enjoyable to watch and imo, the best parts about the movie.

It was slightly above average.

8.1/10 B-

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:50 pm
Forum General

Yeah, it's really fun but ends up wallowing a lot in cliches and predictability.

B

Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:47 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Streep is, yes, really good, but I actually thought Emily Blunt was pretty dang good, too.

Anne Hathaway kind of annoyed me, though. And Adrian Grenier. And Simon Baker, too. (I thought his character could have been removed completely, come to think of it.)

It was very hit and miss.

Maybe a little more B- than B.

Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:12 pm
Profile WWW

Streep is, yes, really good, but I actually thought Emily Blunt was pretty dang good, too.

Anne Hathaway kind of annoyed me, though. And Adrian Grenier. And Simon Baker, too. (I thought his character could have been removed completely, come to think of it.)

It was very hit and miss.

Maybe a little more B- than B.

I agree with Ebert, Grenier would have been suiter in Baker role and vice versa, in the book Baker's chracter makes more sense and Grenier chracter also makes more sense, but in the end you see the movie for Pressly chracter and Streep nails it.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:39 am
King Albert!

Great performances, but a predictable plot.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Some days I'm a super bitch

I actually felt the ending was a bit unpredictable. I thought they were setting up Streep's character for a massive smack-down near the end of the movie, but it took a different path. Good choice, imo, considering it painted Miranda in more of a sympathetic light, and we got to see the two main characters end on their own terms.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:06 am
Profile WWW
problem?

Ilovedit.Sssooomuch,it'smyfavoritemovieoftheyearsofar.Itwasjustsofunandenjoyable,andtheEmily characterwasincrediblyfunandIlovedMeryl.IlikedAndyandlikedallofherpersonallifescenesexceptforthe onesbetweenherandherboyfriend.IlikedherwithherfriendsbutjustdislikedeveryscenewiththatEntourageguy.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:17 am
All Star Poster

I loved this movie, it totally made up for the crap that superman Returns was, its easily my favorite movie of the year so far.

A

Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:59 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

What a fabulous movie! Loved it from beginning to end. I agree that the ending was perfect. I would have died if Miranda all of a sudden became this sentimental,lovey dobey character.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:34 pm
Mod Team Leader

It's funny, today I saw 4 films at the theater. The two guys flicks I saw were either bad or excruciatingly terrible, and the two chick flicks i saw were both very good.

I really enjoyed this film. I hated Streep's character so much. She was evil. And she was brilliant. I really think she'll get another nomiantion and perhaps win this year.

9/10

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next