Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

College Boy Z

Post The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

Quote:
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada is a 2005 American drama film directed by Tommy Lee Jones and written by Guillermo Arriaga. It stars Tommy Lee Jones, Barry Pepper, Julio Cedillo, and Dwight Yoakam.

The film was inspired by the real-life killing in Texas of an American teenager, Esequiel Hernandez Jr, by United States Marines during a military operation near the United States–Mexico border.

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:24 pm
Orphan

Part Western, part character study, Tommy Lee Jones' directorial debut is all disappointing. The plot moves at a snail's pace, and the constant shifts in time are at first intriguing but soon become wearisome. The big problem is that at film's end, you can't help but get the feeling that the proceedings end up being rather pointless. Sure, Barry Pepper's wholly unlikeable Border Patrolman has learned a few things but so what? Who cares whether such a irritating character gains something of knowledge about himself? We never cared about his plight in the first place.

Grade - D

Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:04 pm
Forum General

Realism and grittiness in film usually doesn't do a lot for me, but I really liked it here. Jones's relatively strong direction complements the film's staid, melancholy tone, which I thought really worked. I did think Jones, though, at times tried a little too hard to imbue his film with extra, unnecessary drama -- the blind man, confusion over Melquiades's backstory, etc. -- and sacrificed some of the development that could have given us more insight into Pete. At the end, I didn't really buy that he would have been so broken as to do what he did.

B

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]