Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A Prairie Home Companion 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
C 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

A Prairie Home Companion 
College Boy Z

Post A Prairie Home Companion
A Prairie Home Companion

Quote:
A Prairie Home Companion is a 2006 ensemble comedy elegy directed by Robert Altman, and was his final film, released just five months before his death. It is a fictional representation of behind-the-scenes activities at the long-running public radio show of the same name.

Last edited by zingy on Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:10 pm
Commander and Chef

http://www.worldofkj.com/reviews/Arsalan/PHC.php

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I liked it alot more than you did, apparently, bABA...

Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:08 pm
Commander and Chef

now please explain virginia madsen to me dolce ... cause i've tried hard and i fail to see how her character was appropriate ...

Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:48 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

Do stories always need a point? The Good, the Bad and the Ugly had a pointless story as well, it just rambled on aimlessly.

Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:05 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

bleh .. i dont know .. this one was just stupid stupid stupid. .. it was like atching metallica's live performance really ...

Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
htm

Can't wait... but my theater isn't picking it up... no free ticket. So it is pushed back til Monday.

Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:05 am
Lord of filth

Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:02 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Dolce, will I like this film?

:-k

Well, its good entertainment. It's not one of his movies that I am going to be talking about a year from now, though. But yes, I actually think you will enjoy it. I'm trying to think now about what you've said the last couple movies, and you've been pretty balanced. Two things: What do you usually think of Altman, and what did you think of A Mighty Wind? Then I'll be able to say for sure.

Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:40 pm
Extraordinary

I was honestly surprised at just how special a film A Prairie Home Companion is...

I've enjoyed some of Altman's work, but also know he can go on and on without getting to the point, and when he does that point can look awful dated, awful fast. The beauty of APHC is that it was created dated!

It is a dizzying blend of contrived style and down home improvisation. It is a funny, honest movie. It is enthusiastically entertaining from beginning to end.

All the "actors" act like they're acting, but the action is in their activity...

5 out of 5.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:52 am
Extraordinary

andaroo wrote:
Dolce, will I like this film?

:-k

Well, its good entertainment. It's not one of his movies that I am going to be talking about a year from now, though. But yes, I actually think you will enjoy it. I'm trying to think now about what you've said the last couple movies, and you've been pretty balanced. Two things: What do you usually think of Altman, and what did you think of A Mighty Wind? Then I'll be able to say for sure.

A Mighty Wind would be an excellent trainer film for A Prairie Home Companion...

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:53 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

A original movie but just not really a good one. I tried to like it but most of the time I was like "huh?"

C

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:24 pm
Forum General

A Prairie Home Companion, the show itself, is such an oddball that a conventional comedy probably wouldn't have worked. But Altman's direction has a heavy sense of whimsy, with an added underlying melancholy, that ultimately complements the weirdness of the show and its supporting players.

I didn't think it was perfect: The screeplay tries to create a character out of Kevin Kline whereby he builds a bridge between the us and the odd goings-on backstage, but we never really see enough of him for this to be successful. And while I did like Virginia Madson's "Dangerous Woman," it seemed strange to me that the most creative Keillor could get here was... an angel of death.

I was entertained, though. And laughed some, even.

B+

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

It felt like watching a live radio show. Loved it. The 'bad joke' song brought the house down.

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:41 am
Teenage Dream

It was okay. It wasn't the total catastrophe I've come to know and love from Altman. It has a quick pace (it clocks in at a very un-Altman 105 minutes, so it better) which makes it never boring. Altman's camera is as graceful and gorgeous as ever (I just wish the man could make a great film with that talent), and Kline's turn as Guy Noir is absolutely brilliant and the only truly hilarious aspect of the film.

Still, it's an incredibly pointless and empty film (an Altman speciality, if I do say so myself), and the majority of the attempts at humor fall to a dead thud. Most of the cast is as annoying as fingernails down a chalk board, too (again, an Altman speciality).

C+

Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:00 am
Forum General

Garrison Keillor is quite an actor. He's really good.

And Meryl Streep, quite a singer. She and Lily Tomlin.

Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

It's not hard to be quite an actor when you're playing yourself.

Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:34 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Absolutely loved it. There were a few akward moments scattered throughout, and I didn't quite understand Madsen's character either, but the rest of the film was enchantingly wonderful.

And I was utterly surprised at Streep's voice as someone else commented on. Did not know that woman had that kind of voice on her.

A

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:17 am
Veteran

Oh, and... two discoveries:

Streep sings at the end of Postcards From The Edge. I think she also sings over the closing credits of Silkwood. She's quite good.

Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:13 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Dkmuto wrote:

Streep sings at the end of Postcards From The Edge. I think she also sings over the closing credits of Silkwood. She's quite good.

She really has an amazing voice in the film, and not at all what I was expecting from her. Lily Tomlin, her singing partner, is decent but there is a definate difference in quality between the two.

Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:53 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Dkmuto wrote:

One funny thing on Silkwood, Meryl Streep sung the song even though she was riding in the car with Cher. But MS was the star of the movie and Cher was the friend.

Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:55 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Absolutely loved it. There were a few akward moments scattered throughout, and I didn't quite understand Madsen's character either, but the rest of the film was enchantingly wonderful.

And I was utterly surprised at Streep's voice as someone else commented on. Did not know that woman had that kind of voice on her.

A

On Madsen's character as the Angel of Death / guide, I think she was just mirroring the closing of the show with closing off some characters who had finished their lives.

But then again it was wierd how she took Tommy Lee Jones after a request from Kevin Kline?

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:03 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

This one has a fantastic cast!, but im interested on Lohan's performance. How was she?

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:58 am
Christian's #1 Fan

RogueONE wrote:

A

On Madsen's character as the Angel of Death / guide, I think she was just mirroring the closing of the show with closing off some characters who had finished their lives.

But then again it was wierd how she took Tommy Lee Jones after a request from Kevin Kline?

Ah, I suppose that could be.

As far as Tommy Lee Jones's character...

[spoil]I think that was due to him being the cause of her death if you didn't catch that earlier he was the other car on the road when she flipped hers ... I think ... ?[/spoil]

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:31 am
Christian's #1 Fan

This one has a fantastic cast!, but im interested on Lohan's performance. How was she?

She was ok as far as an actress but her singing portion was far from spectacular.

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next