Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 The Devil's Advocate 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

The Devil's Advocate 
College Boy Z

Post The Devil's Advocate
The Devil's Advocate

Quote:
The Devil's Advocate (marketed as Devil's Advocate) is a 1997 American horror film directed by Taylor Hackford starring Keanu Reeves, Al Pacino and Charlize Theron, and based on a novel by Andrew Neiderman.

The film's title is a reference to the common phrase "devil's advocate", and Pacino's character is a tribute to the author of Paradise Lost, John Milton. The movie has some minor allusions to Milton's epic, such as the famous quotation "Better to reign in Hell, than to serve in Heaven".

I just got done with this movie, and I thought it was great. When the movie was over, the first thing that came to my mind was "wtf?!". The movie was just plain weird, and it still is. But, after you understand everything and it all comes together, it's a very entertaining movie. The last 30 minutes can really throw you off, but it is a great twist. Keanu Reeves did a pretty good job, but I was more impressed with Charlize Theron and Al Pacino. Not excellent performances, but good. Some of the nudity in this movie was unnecessary, though. Infact, there was quite a lot of it. Overall, a very good movie, but flawed.

My Grade: B+

Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:38 pm
Teh Mexican

oh yes its a great movie!!, great performences!!
i dont remember much, but i did liked it!!

B

Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:02 pm
La Bella Vito

I thought it was a pretty good movie, and Charlize Theron was great. But Keanu Reeve's butt was so unecessary and disgusting, he had black hairs in his asshole, and it was so gross. :swear:

Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:31 am
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

I thought it was a pretty good movie, and Charlize Theron was great. But Keanu Reeve's butt was so unecessary and disgusting, he had black hairs in his asshole, and it was so gross. :swear:

Wow....I bet you hate some of Mel Gibson's earlier movies...

Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:19 am
Profile WWW
La Bella Vito

I haven't seen very many of his films. :lol:

Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:46 am
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

A-

Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Brilliant movie, great acting from Pacino. Keanu, well, he was a different matter.....he was good, but his acting didnt improve lol. Love the last scene.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:29 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Good movie with Al Pacino at his best. Why he dion't get an Oscar nomination for this one is beyond me. I couldn't have imagined a better devil than him. Keanu Reeves wasn't bad actually, at least better than in many of his movies. Charlize Theron was great as usual. Great ending too.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:18 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
this was a good movie > Pacino was so in character and over the top > I am thinking that Al Pacino really is the Devil > Charlize Theron shows early in a good role why she developed into an Oscar winner. ( When I first turned it on, it took me about 5 minutes that it wasn't Ashley Judd as she had an old Ashley Judd type hairstyle. )

Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Everything before is supremely creepy and cerebral in its pursuit of those all importent horror kicks but all subtlety goes out the window in the final act as Pacino turns from devilish menace to full blown scenery chewing. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed all of this movie equally but I feels like somebody snuck into the editing room and spliced in a ending designed to wake the dead.

B+

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]