Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 X-Men 

What grade would you give this film?
A 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
B 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

X-Men 
College Boy Z

Post X-Men
X-Men

Quote:
X-Men is a 2000 superhero film based on the fictional Marvel Comics characters of the same name. Directed by Bryan Singer, the film stars Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Anna Paquin, Famke Janssen, Bruce Davison, James Marsden, Halle Berry, Rebecca Romijn, Ray Park and Tyler Mane. It introduces Wolverine and Rogue into the conflict between Professor Xavier's X-Men and the Brotherhood of Mutants, led by Magneto. Magneto intends to mutate world leaders at a United Nations summit with a machine he has built to bring about acceptance of mutantkind, but Xavier realizes this forced mutation will only result in their deaths.

Development for X-Men began as far back as 1989 with James Cameron and Carolco Pictures. The film rights went to 20th Century Fox in 1994. Scripts and film treatments were commissioned from Andrew Kevin Walker, John Logan, Joss Whedon and Michael Chabon. Singer signed to direct in 1996, with further rewrites by Ed Solomon, Singer, Tom DeSanto, Christopher McQuarrie and David Hayter. Start dates kept getting pushed back, while Fox decided to move X-Men's release date from December to July 2000. Filming took place from September 22, 1999 to March 3, 2000, primarily in Toronto. X-Men was released to positive reviews and was a financial success, spawning the X-Men film series and a reemergence of superhero films.

Loved it. It's not as fantastic as the sequel, but it's still extremely entertaining and it made the comic book adaptation genre a favorite of mine. It's fun.

A

Thu May 25, 2006 4:14 pm
loyalfromlondon

When I first saw the trailers for this, it didn't look that good. The editing for the preview was crappy, and you couldn't get a handle on the action of the film. I only saw this in theatres because the film I wanted to see was sold out (or something like that). So I watched this instead, and wow. What a fantastic film. At the time, it was one of my favorite films of all time. The story was both plausible and exciting, the action was superb, the characters were interesting, and the acting - especially by a then-unknown Hugh Jackman - was great for a comic book film. It is by no means an Oscar calibre film, but it's perfect for what it is - a fun comic book film with an edge. The best comic book film until its sequel came out.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 25, 2006 5:52 pm
Devil's Advocate

I've seen this one way less than the 2nd and don't remember a huge amount about it, but from what I could tell it was excellent.

Thu May 25, 2006 6:17 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

Just great stuff.

Thu May 25, 2006 7:27 pm
Extraordinary

A bit empty. Still, there are some solid characters and Ian McKellen is great.

Thu May 25, 2006 7:33 pm
Killing With Kindness

B

good film, always a fun watch, it always feels a bit empty each time I see it though.

Sat May 27, 2006 12:46 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I have always been a fan of comic books (Marvel), but always moreso of Spider-Man than of X-Men. Nonetheless when X-Men finally made it to the theatres, it was great news to me because that meant that if it's successful I'd finally see a Spidey flick hitting the silver screen soon. My only concern going on was the quality. Back then, I wasn't following any reviews or message boards, so I went into it pretty clueless.

I walked out astonished. I expected it to be good, but I never expected it to deliver as well as it does. The best thing about it was that it was not a fluke, but impressed me just as much on several viewings. Brian Singer and the screenwriters amazingly captured the X-Men universe and gave the audiences enough drama, dark atmosphere and light action to create what I consider to be one of the few perfect summer blockbusters. At the same time, it is a fairly faithful adaptation that might have not captured all the details of the source, but certainly got its spirit.

The characters were cast perfectly. Hugh Jackman as Wolverine was probably one of the biggest acting discoveries of the recent years. He fills the character with just enough rawness, charisma and ferociousness as needed. Patrick Stewart is a great Charles Xavier and Ian McKellen makes an iconic Magneto. The face-off's between the two are a great watch.

While the line-up of the evil minions is rather weak-ish this time around, except for Mystique, Sabertooth still makes a good opponent to Jackman's Wolverine. The action scenes are perfectly paced. The fighting choreography is great. The movie's touch of drama is well-developed as are the starting relationships between Jean Grey and Wolverine as well as between Rogue and Iceman. The bonding between Wolverine and Rogue goes over well too.

I have recently watched this film again, mending my wounds after the disappointmend of X3 and it really delivers on each viewing. It is always entertaining, with great one-liners, good action and a very competent script and direction. It is amazing what effects the makers could churn out considering the by today's standards "miniscule" $75 million budget.

Until Spider-Man came along, this was my all-time favorite comic book adaptation and even now it is still #3 and sets the bar high for all upcoming ones.

Sun May 28, 2006 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Cyclops: Prove it!
Wolverine: You're a dick.

One of my all-time favorites. A

Sun May 28, 2006 8:53 pm
Squee

:glare:

Sun May 28, 2006 8:54 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Enjoyed it but not as good as the two and three. I don't feel like rogue should be centered that much, but what do I know. But good movie none the less. B+/A-

Sun May 28, 2006 9:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
All Star Poster

A really good film, Second best of this Franchise IMO. I watch it on FX whenever they play it.

A-

Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:48 pm
We had our time together

Average comic book movie for me, by far not as good as the sequel. B-

Last edited by Riggs on Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:27 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

i havent seen it in ages but its one of the best superheroe movies out there.

A

Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:29 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

I rewatched this recently and it was much much better than I recalled.

Also when the trailers for it came out in 2000 - I had no intention of seeing it. I was never an XMen comics fan and it didnt look good to me. But in late April 03 i had the opportunity to see an advance screening of X3 so I hired this out the night before and just loved it!

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:48 am
Extraordinary

Not as good as the amazing sequel, but still a worthy film.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:50 pm
Forum General

Post Re:
snack in shackles wrote:
B

:hahaha:

Anyway, rewatched this yesterday and it fell from an A- to a B-.

I'm not sure why I liked it in the first place. Editing and sound editing is kind of bad and the special effects are bloody bad.

Of course, VFX go down in time, but, still, I can't remember how I accepted it when the slo-mo is just, WTF?

Oh, and this was only my second time watching it.

It's sequel, is also not very good I realize. This is going to come off as a Nolan fanboy but both Bat flicks outclass this in every way possible, save humour maybe, and even then, this doesn't do a very good job at it.

Oh, it's also become very campy. I don't know, it just didn't do it for me, both of them, the second time round.

Lastly, the action is also, eh, not very good. I haven't seen X-Men 3 again but even though that was panned I think it had better action than this and it's sequel. I guess, I should've known, seeing that, these were so forgettable, but whatever.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:02 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: Re:
BK wrote:
snack in shackles wrote:
B

:hahaha:

Anyway, rewatched this yesterday and it fell from an A- to a B-.

I'm not sure why I liked it in the first place. Editing and sound editing is kind of bad and the special effects are bloody bad.

Of course, VFX go down in time, but, still, I can't remember how I accepted it when the slo-mo is just, WTF?

Oh, and this was only my second time watching it.

It's sequel, is also not very good I realize. This is going to come off as a Nolan fanboy but both Bat flicks outclass this in every way possible, save humour maybe, and even then, this doesn't do a very good job at it.

Oh, it's also become very campy. I don't know, it just didn't do it for me, both of them, the second time round.

Lastly, the action is also, eh, not very good. I haven't seen X-Men 3 again but even though that was panned I think it had better action than this and it's sequel. I guess, I should've known, seeing that, these were so forgettable, but whatever.

:roll: That says it all right there.. And watching the joylessness that was BEGINS and the TDK clearly could've used humor in those movies to, but have to go for the typical cliche'd gothic, too dark bullshit that doesn't make for a better movie unless you fall inot the catagory of being "Emo" which sounds like you do..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:34 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: X-Men
It's not great. The action is weak and effects appear outdated even in their time. None of the characters are that fascinating and the storyline isn't that great. It's a decent film that was a surpassed by a good not great sequel.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:46 pm
Keeping it Light

I watched this again yesterday as a refresher of what the movie was like again. I see this as a great comic book adaptation, that stood at the beginning of the comic books dominating the box office world we live in now. X-Men more than holds up for me in terms of special effects. There's isn't a lot of balls to the wall action, but there's still plenty of mutant powers on display for one to enjoy I think. I especially like the introduction of the characters on the big screen, and the unveiling of the back story of several, mainly Wolverine. In the end X-Men is a very good movie overall, and definitely one of the best in its genre.

B+

Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:09 am
now we know

Yeah, agreed. It is a good film. It competently creates a mutant world and adds flavour to that world, setting a brilliant sequel. I very much like that it started off the superhero craze, and not Spider-Man.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I prefer this one to its sequel really, which I don't really get the hype over, except that it has Nightcrawler. I also prefer Spider-Man to the X-Men (original Spider-Man at least), but this is the only other superhero franchise that doesn't bore me, so it gets credit there. Great characters and story. I especially like Rogue (damn Anna Paquin got hot.) Really very good movie.

A-

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:31 am
now we know

Rogue is one of the worst characters in any movie in X-Men and X2. I can't remember if she's in The Last Stand, but if she is, then include that too.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:26 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Have started to binge X-Men series and I didn't realize I like these characters so much. I prefer this original more than the sequel but both are REALLY good. Great characters and breezy story. I don't like the final sequence as much but the rest of movie keeps you hooked.

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]