Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Deliverance 

What grade would you give this film?
A 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Deliverance 
College Boy Z

Post Deliverance
Deliverance

Quote:
Deliverance is a 1972 American thriller film produced and directed by John Boorman. Principal cast members include Jon Voight, Burt Reynolds, Ronny Cox and Ned Beatty in his film debut. The film is based on a 1970 novel of the same name by American author James Dickey, who has a small role in the film as a Sheriff. The screenplay was written by Dickey and an uncredited Boorman.

In 2008, Deliverance was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

Sun May 07, 2006 10:27 am
htm

One of my favorites... A/A+

Sun May 07, 2006 10:32 am
Sbil

Zing, you should see this.

A

Sun May 07, 2006 10:33 am
You must have big rats

It was really different from what I expected. I expected a disturbing survival adventure, but it was much more of a psychodrama about guilt and human nature. The only disturbing scene was the obvious one, "squeal like a pig" scene which was pretty harsh. It is very well-acted, by all members of the cast, but the whole time in the woods just flew by too fast, I was expecting much more struggling. Still, a very good drama.

Tue May 09, 2006 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

I like this film. Creepy inbreds galore!

Tue May 09, 2006 7:32 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Poor Ned Beatty. :sad:

Did you folks know, that Ned Beatty originally didn't want to do that scene and eventually came around to doing it, but only if the scene was shot 1 time?? They had to get it right on the first shot and if they didn't, then Beatty wouldn't of shot the scene again.. Overall, it was a Classic for it's time, but considerably tame by today's standards in what we've seen in movie's with overdone Graphic Scenes.. I'd rate it an "A" back in the day when it was made, but probably a "C" by today's standards..

Wed May 10, 2006 12:40 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Christian wrote:

Did you folks know, that Ned Beatty originally didn't want to do that scene and eventually came around to doing it, but only if the scene was shot 1 time?? They had to get it right on the first shot and if they didn't, then Beatty wouldn't of shot the scene again.. Overall, it was a Classic for it's time, but considerably tame by today's standards in what we've seen in movie's with overdone Graphic Scenes.. I'd rate it an "A" back in the day when it was made, but probably a "C" by today's standards..

BKB, how does the fact that it's tame today lessen the quality? If it was soaked with gore and people being split open with machetes, would it remain an A?

Wed May 10, 2006 6:30 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

If ever there was a film to put you off camping in the wilderness with friends it's this one.
Top survival flick

Wed May 10, 2006 8:35 am
The Original

Though would I have seen it back in time when it was released I might have given it a 10/10.

But I would say its a classic and you should see it.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:28 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

BKB_The_Man wrote:
Christian wrote:

BKB, how does the fact that it's tame today lessen the quality? If it was soaked with gore and people being split open with machetes, would it remain an A?

Yes..

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:13 am
Profile WWW
htm

I can't believe I gave this an A+. Not quite that good with more distance between the last time I watched Deliverance and now. It's certainly haunting, tense, and remarkably dark. It stands as a unique and important point in cinematic history; not only is it unique, it is finely crafted and superbly acted. See it before you take a trip to rural Georgia.

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:51 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Deliverance
This movie is great. I'm not sure what is more disturbing, the ordeal that they go through or how horrifying human beings will go (And this goes toward our protagonists as well) The acting is top notch and it really flies by outside of the one scene that feels like an eternity.

A+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:39 pm
now we know

Repulsed.

F

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:46 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

What a terrifying film. My favorite scene, as I'm sure it is with many, is that dueling banjos scene at the start. Just creepy, the whole thing.

It strays a little, especially towards the end, where I feel the screenwriter adapted his own story probably too closely (haven't read it, so this is speculation) as it felt like the way a book would end rather than a movie.

Overall, it's fun to see one of the first examples of terror-in-the-wild horror, in which I could draw comparisons to many modern movies, even The Descent. On the flip side, it's also a great horror story about human beings and what they are willing to do, whether they're the creepy inbred lunatics or our daring "protagonists", if you can call them that.

A-

Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:54 pm
Hold the door!

This won the Summer 1972 box office race I believe.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]