Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Slither (2006) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
B 45%  45%  [ 9 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20

Slither (2006) 
Sbil

Post Slither (2006)
Slither

Quote:
Slither is a 2006 sci-fi-horror-comedy film produced by Gold Circle Films and Strike Entertainment, released by Universal, written and directed by James Gunn, and starring Nathan Fillion, Elizabeth Banks, Michael Rooker, Gregg Henry, Tania Saulnier and Jenna Fischer, and is produced by Paul Brooks and Eric Newman. Slither is James Gunn's directorial debut.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:09 pm
problem?

I'msogladitwasmadeasacomedy/horror,becauseifit'dbeenafullblownserioushorrorfilm,itwould'vebeen terrible.Otherwise,awesomeness.MyfriendsandIlaughedatsssooomanythings.Basicallyanythingthemayor saidsentusintoagigglefit.AndthatNathandudeiskindahawt.

C+orso.Itwasn'taverygoodfilm,butitwascertainlyentertaining.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:53 pm
Extraordinary

It is 10x the horror movie that pretender The Hills Have Eyes was.

It is a laugh out loud comedy movie.

It's a cool ass sci-fi movie, buried in a single shot.

It is one of them there metaphors, ya know, a social commentary kind a thing.

It is a great movie - a brand spankin' new classic cult flick.

Vaults onto my top ten list, just like that...

6 out of 5.

{Spoiler: Be sure to stay to the very end of the credits to catch a glimpse of the coming glories of Slither 2... /Spoiler}

Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:57 am
Christian's #1 Fan

For once I agree with you Bradley, the movie was great.

It is everything that all of the other "spoof" movies should be: subtle and ingenious. Quite fun from beginning to end though it does lag occasionally. It isn't the most intelligent, but it pays certain homage to all of the classic B-grade Sci-Fi movies of yesteryear. Watch for a great homage to George A. Romero's horror classic "Night of the Living Dead". There are numerous other references, but most of them are so subtle even astute viewers will be pressed to pinpoint them exactly.

Overall though, its really a lot of fun and definately highly enjoyable. A-

Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:17 am
i saw the 1010 show of SLiTHER earlier, and it was great.
I liked all the characters, especailly Pardy (but i have a wee bit of bias). I was surprised/pleased that Grant wasn't made oout to be an evil guy so it was okay what happened to him. He did seem to genuinely love Starla, and when he was out in the woods with Brenda he decided he had to go home cause Starla worries when he's out late. I also liked that Starla actually cared about him also, it was just nice to see a bit of a twist on the norm.
Nathan Fillion was, as expected, great and he should be a big star (only no one sees his fantastic performances as he's in GOOD movies). Elizabeth Banks was also a strong lead, it was basically all her for a good chunk of the beginning. I could go on like this for the whole cast, but you get the idea.
James Gunn did a great job with his writing/directing debut, and i look forward to more James Gunn films. I am blanking now on all the other great things i liked about the movie, but i think i got the point across that it was good.

Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:59 am
Orphan

Don't have the energy to write a full review but the film was very fun. The best comedy so far this year and not a bad horror movie either.

Mild Spoiler: The part where the police are discussing where Rooker's character has been and call him a squid is funny alone. Add in the stick-on plastic squid thingies on the map and it's downright hilarious. That plus the Beanie Baby esque squid was the funniest scene in a long time. James Gunn can devise some very funny stuff, needless to say. The only disappointment I guess was that for a hard R movie it shirked on the gratuitous nudity, something the sure-to-be-brilliant Snakes on a Plane has rectified. Does the beautiful Elizabeth Banks have a no nudity clause in her contract as a shower scene looked like it contained digital fogging?

B+

Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:33 am
Took a bit to find its footing but once it did, holy shit.

B+

Also, I'm a sucker for people getting split in half (Predator II, Sleepy Hollow, Kill Bill Volume I, John Carpenter's Vampires...).
Scene in Slither beats them all. :smile:

Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:28 am
Orphan

Took a bit to find its footing but once it did, holy shit.

B+

Also, I'm a sucker for people getting split in half (Predator II, Sleepy Hollow, Kill Bill Volume I, John Carpenter's Vampires...).
Scene in Slither beats them all. :smile:

Final Destination 2 had a good one too.

Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:56 pm
problem?

ResidentEvilhadthebest.Theguywascutintotinypiecesinonequickmotionthenfellapart!

Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:48 pm
Teh Mexican

ResidentEvilhadthebest.Theguywascutintotinypiecesinonequickmotionthenfellapart!

nah! that looked very fake, but it was still a pretty cool scene

13 Ghosts had a great one :happy:

Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:05 pm
You must have big rats

Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
13 Ghosts, I forgot about that one (the necktie!). FD2, sort of cheap looking. Resident Evil, if that meant the guy who tried to jump over the beam, then yeah. But the other guy wasn't cut in half, he was minced!!

Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:05 am
problem?

Ireallylikedthechick'sdeathinRE,theonewhowasbeheadedbythefirstbeam.Thatwascool.

Thatwholelaserhallwayscenewasnice.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:54 pm
Extraordinary

Six and a half posts on the topic of "people getting split in half scenes", out of the 12 posts in this thread!

Maybe it's a popular enough topic for it's own thread...

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:26 pm
Veteran

I found it funny the whole map thing where they have squids on it that was priceless. but my fave part was the deer scence that had me laughing so hard 6/10

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Can someone spoil the post credits ending?

Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:02 pm
Orphan

Can someone spoil the post credits ending?

Yeah, I didn't know about it until later.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:15 pm
Teenage Dream

Loved it, loved it, loved it. The opening twenty minutes or so are kind of awkward, but once the film get's rolling, it's a freight train of depravity that is unmatched in the entertainment department. It has more laugh out loud moments then most comedies, and it also has some genuinely creepy moments (all about the zombie family). Oh, and the gore is top notch. The climax is straght out of Society.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:07 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Can someone post the spoiler for the end credits because I walked out before the credits completely ended
Oh and my grade for the film is B+
As for people being split in half, nothing can beat Ghost Ship's beginning although the rest of the movie sucked

Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:21 pm
Where will you be?

I think Dark Castle is more concerned with making cool scenes of people getting ripped into pieces then it is at anything else, as those scenes in 13 Ghosts and Ghost Ship are in another league then almost anything else they've churned out. Resident Evil's laser beam scene, no matter how much it was like Cube, was also very groovy. And John Carpenter's Vampires, well that was just laugh-out-loud hysterical, in a somewhat good way.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:07 am
the post credits scene is this brain-like thing moving about (like what the alien was when it darted Grant) and then a cat comes over and starts licking it, then it makes that rattle noise and the screen is black, then we hear it fire its dart into the cat.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:27 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Awesome, awesome film. Didn't miss a beat. Managed to be funny, intense and delightfully, disturbingly icky all at once. I also have a soft spot for horror films that play melodramatic oldie ballads over scenes of grue and violence.

A

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:37 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Pretty much agree with everyone else here, a heck of a good time at the movies, not only does it work as a horror movie but it's also one of the funniest films I've seen in a long while. The first 20 minutes or so the movie seems to be finding its way and I wasn't really sure what to expect, but once the transformation of Grant begins the movie completely takes off into greatness and beyond. Hilarious, disgusting, tense, tongue-in-cheek with some great writing and acting especially for a horror movie. After being disappointed by so many uninspired, unoriginal horror flicks over the past few years finally this little gem comes along to restore my faith in the genre. Most definitely destined to be a cult classic in a few years. grade - A-

and I wonder how many of the town extras realized why they were being cast, I found it most hilarious that they purposely populated the bar/town scenes with some of the most unattractive people they could find. :lol:

Last edited by haerpinot on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

I'm still perplexed/dismayed with the terrible box office performance.

It deserved so much better.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:35 pm
Forum General

I really didn't like it that much and it wasn't that funny. I loved the first half of it but the second half wasn't very good at all. I actually wanted to see it too.

6/10 (C+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:39 pm