Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Basic Instinct 2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
B 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
C 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
D 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 20

Basic Instinct 2 
Sbil

Post Basic Instinct 2
Basic Instinct 2

Quote:
Basic Instinct 2, also known as Basic Instinct 2: Risk Addiction, is a 2006 German/British/American/Spanish thriller film, being the sequel to 1992's Basic Instinct. The film was directed by Michael Caton-Jones and produced by Mario Kassar, Joel B. Michaels, and Andrew G. Vajna. The screenplay was by Leora Barish and Henry Bean. It stars Sharon Stone, who reprises her role of Catherine Tramell from the original, as well as David Morrissey and David Thewlis.

The film follows novelist and suspected serial killer Catherine Tramell, who is once again in trouble with the authorities. Scotland Yard appoints psychiatrist Dr. Michael Glass to evaluate her after a man in Tramell's presence dies. As with Detective Nick Curran in the first film, Glass becomes a victim of Tramell's seductive games.

After being in development hell for a number of years, the film was shot in London from April to August 2005, and was released on March 31, 2006. After numerous cuts, it was released with an R rating for "strong sexuality, nudity, violence, language, and some drug content." The film was not as well received as its predecessor and fell short of commercial expectations. Compared to its predecessor, Basic Instinct 2 is lighter in nature, but still contains graphic violence and sex.

Last edited by Libs on Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:08 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

An interesting who dunnit thriller. However, BI2 comes out very flat. The score is quite awful and it feels like your watching a HARRY POTTER film.

Sharon Stone enjoys playing Catherine Trammel, and is a delight to watch on screen, even if her performance is laughable. David Morrissey is boring to watch.

However the final act is terrific in how it plays out.

C+

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:07 pm
Orphan

I've never seen the original. Is it necessary?

Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:41 pm

I've never seen the original. Is it necessary?

No, because they only mention San Francisco in 1 scene.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:51 pm
Indiana Jones IV

i saw the polling reesult. i definetely sure the one who voted for A grade is BKB by the way have you seen it BKB? where are your review?

Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:12 am
Profile ICQ WWW

i saw the polling reesult. i definetely sure the one who voted for A grade is BKB by the way have you seen it BKB? where are your review?

Don't wake it!

Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:24 am
Indiana Jones IV

However the final act is terrific in how it plays out.

C+

Yeah, I agree there actually; from the

[spoil]bit where we learn that Thewlis could be the perpertrator[/spoil]

onwards the movie was actually quite compelling I have to say, and the ending was pretty good: the whole mystery as to the real truth of the possible options, and then the final 'hint' to add a bit of bite... I think the ending deserved a better movie to come before it.

I'm a harsh marker, and this gets a C- which isn't that bad really considering what the critics are making this out to be (Razzie frontrunner etc., a title that should belong to Date Movie if not one of the other turds of January and February). I went in thinking this would be another load of crap to slap an F on and was pleasently surprised.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:38 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

No.. I will see this probably tonight or tomorrow since I work overnight and then and only then will you get my review and the grade it deserves, so No, I didn't vote this as an "A" and nice to see out of all the people who post here and have as much access to voting as I do, that you label me as the one who voted this an "A", BUT no one else would do that.. Interesting if not, pathetic..

Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:09 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I dont think BKB realizes it says the people who voted for the movie at the top.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:44 am

I dont think BKB realizes it says the people who voted for the movie at the top.

Alright.. You got me.. I voted an "A" for this, is for the very reason that this movie just can't possibly be THIS bad the way the reviews at RT are labeling it as.. No way.. Read some of them reviews over there and you'll realize that there bashing this movie for the sake of bashing it, so in defense of Stone and her movie, I gave her an "A" out of sympathy.. In the end, what REALLY Qualifies a movie to be as bad as the reviews for this make it out to be??? Can a movie be THAT Bad?? With that having been said, I will see this movie over the weekend, even if it's at a Matinee and not pay an arm and a leg..

Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:34 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

BKB got so owned.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:09 am
Extraordinary

Interesting if not, pathetic..

Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:23 am
Indiana Jones IV

Killuminati510 wrote:

Alright.. You got me.. I voted an "A" for this, is for the very reason that this movie just can't possibly be THIS bad the way the reviews at RT are labeling it as.. No way.. Read some of them reviews over there and you'll realize that there bashing this movie for the sake of bashing it, so in defense of Stone and her movie, I gave her an "A" out of sympathy.. In the end, what REALLY Qualifies a movie to be as bad as the reviews for this make it out to be??? Can a movie be THAT Bad?? With that having been said, I will see this movie over the weekend, even if it's at a Matinee and not pay an arm and a leg..

of course it's you who voted for "A" because getluv already gave his review and grade and it's a "C" and there is a vote for "C" too. and the other one who voted is BKB which is "A" :biggrin:

Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:18 am
Profile ICQ WWW

Hahahahaha.

BKB got so owned.

Yes, I yes I did and you know something?? I hate being owned.. :biggrin: I'm still seeing this though if for the mere fact that it just can't be this bad..

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:03 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

thoughts:

I basically agree with Amos and getluv.. it's a pleasure to watch Catherine Tramell in action again, even if she seems a little bit different this time (more distant and less human - I blame the script)..

Sharon Stone will always be the perfect Catherine and she's still hot 14 years later, Morrissey lacks some of the screen presence of Michael Douglas, David Thewlis and Charlotte Rampling are competent but seem to belong in another movie sometimes...

the sex is surprisingly non-abundant (I counted 3 sex scenes, including the orgy - 4, if you count the fingering at the beginning...), so if you want to see it for the sex wait for the uncensored DVD..

it's kind of ironic how a more cerebral and psychological movie can be less subtle than the original..

the screenplay has tones of hilarious (and highly quotable) lines.. :biggrin:

of course it's still an unnecessary sequel to a great movie, even though the ambiguous ending is really interesting and like Amos said, almost makes the whole movie seem better than it actually is...

See it if you loved the first one - you're bound to be disappointed, but you'll have a good time watching it... ;)

Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Some days I'm a super bitch

Ouch, BKB wasn't kidding about the RT rating. It's currently at 8% :blink:

Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Well jeez, im shocked to say this but it's probably my favorite movie of the year.

First of all, what impressed me in this movie was the atmosphere, the light, the set and the place of filming. This is beautiful an it deserves the best note. Thanks to Gyulia Pados, the director of photography. I will never forget to mention the excellent music originally composed by Jerry Goldsmith and rearranged by John Murphy.

Then, the story is a real mind game and a very sophisticated European film noir. It depends who you believe in an it could change your point of view. Everybody lies to everybody or do they say the truth ? Why ? This is the key factor to manipulate people thanks to a tortuous script (Ala Memento, Chrisopher Nolan ).

The acting is very good. David Morrissey is excellent, charismatic and he amazed me. Sharon Stone does not steal the show to her partners. Ms Tramell is more diabolical, mad, nuts, ill, pervert and less innocent. Catherine is even more seductive, more predatory, this is what we call a killer.

Overall I thought it was a fantastically made film noir thriller, shocked the hell out of me. Dont know if the critics saw the same movie I did.

Grade - A-

Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:31 am
Cream of the Crop

I can't get the ending out of my head to say the truth (no matter how much "out of this reality" it is, maybe that's why it sticks with you.. :biggrin: )

but this sequel was kind of doomed from the start, because the first one was one of the landmarks of the past decade and pratically created (or at least recreated) the erotic thriller genre.. and of course, for me it was impossible not to see the similarities between both movies..

As for the "Harry Potter" score, have you seen the first one, getluv? It's the same score from Jerry Goldsmith, with minor arrangements... and I'm glad it is - it's brilliant :smile: of course, on the other hand, the fact that it shares the same score and is constantly trying to remind us of the first film with its multiple references, ends up hurting it.. because we've seen so many imitations that it's hard to see this as an original piece..

It does have some (I'd say intentional, I don't get the unintentional thing... :wacko: ) hilarious quotes.. "Even Oedipus didn't see his mother coming!" is my favorite for the moment.. :happy:

Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:55 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

*checks calendar*

:rofl:

Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:03 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I'm surprised to say that I enjoyed the movie as much as I did. That saying though, the thing that surprised me most was how much the movie was story oriented and not sex oriented. That is to say the movie was a little bit boring. Once the NC-17 edition comes out on DVD, I think the movie will be quite enjoyable. This edition, a little bit boring.

That saying, the movie isn't as much of a dreck as I thought it was going to be, and what I mean by that is in the acting. David Morrisey reminded me of a young Liam Niesson, and Sharon Stone did a perfect job of hamming up her role. She was a lot of fun to watch. I actually have to admit that I enjoyed a little bit of the mystery in the story. Still, in order for me to fully recommmend the film, there would've had to have been a little more sex. I think once I see the NC-17 version, I'll be able to do that. Until then..............

B-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:45 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:38 pm
Extraordinary

wait a minute...

*checks calendar*

:rofl:

Bastard

Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:45 pm

BKB, did you actually see it yet?

I'm sorry to say I didn't get around to it this weekend.. I had to work at the last minute and I just didn't get around to it.. Sue me..

Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:57 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I... I... I liked it. It's not a great film, but I was caught up in the plot quite a bit. The acting all around is nice. Sharon Stone isn't quite as good here as she was in the original, but that could be due to the script basically ejecting any sense of vulnerability to Catherine. I was incredibly compelled by the end, and think the film nailed the "Who the fuck does he trust?!" confrontation in the woman's home.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:00 am
No Wire Tampons!

some elements were laughable
some elements were traces of a much better film
the UK version had wayyyy too much ridiculous sex and references.

But hey,

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next