Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 The Ice Storm 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
B 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

The Ice Storm 
College Boy Z

Post The Ice Storm
The Ice Storm

Quote:
The Ice Storm is a 1997 drama film directed by Ang Lee, based on the 1994 novel of the same name by Rick Moody. The film features an ensemble cast of Kevin Kline, Joan Allen, Tobey Maguire, Christina Ricci, Elijah Wood, and Sigourney Weaver. Set during Thanksgiving 1973, The Ice Storm is about two dysfunctional New Canaan, Connecticut families who are trying to deal with tumultuous political and social changes of the early 1970s, and their escapism through alcohol, adultery, and sexual experimentation.

Upon the film's opening in the United States on October 31, 1997, its release was limited and grossed a mere $8 million on a budget of $18 million, making it a box office flop. The film has subsequently become a celebrated success due to a later video release in 1998 and to DVD in 2000. A new special two-disc DVD set was also released as a part of the Criterion Collection on March 18, 2008.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:28 pm
You must have big rats

One of the main reasons I don't like Ang Lee. Boring, tedious, unengaging film.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
htm

Post Re: The Ice Storm
Take it all back.

This is a brilliant film. I refuse to let it stand with a low user-score. Who can't help but love period pieces with the best actresses of their generation kicking all sorts of ass? And the top-notch cinematography and the ATMOSPHERE?! The fantastic character study? C'mon!

:wub:

Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:05 am
Sbil

Tremendous acting and an on-target look at suburban dysfunction in the 1970s, especially surprising since Ang Lee is not American-born. A-

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:31 pm
Extraordinary

Sorry, didn't buy this angst-a-thon - - and I'm an Ang-o-phile...

2 out of 5.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:44 pm
htm

Libs wrote:
Tremendous acting and an on-target look at suburban dysfunction in the 1970s, especially surprising since Ang Lee is not American-born. A-

Mhmm, very interesting. I remember one critic noting the surprising attention to detail Ang has for being foreign born... an awesome knowledge of American pop-culture, or at least a talent to direct those with it and make an authentic picture.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:01 pm
Cream of the Crop

A masterpiece and one of the most accurate portrayals of 70's society in America, methinks? Which is a BIG deal, since it was made two decades after that period by an asian director..

But it's really all about the characters... and the ice. Just like Lee's other movies (Brokeback Mountain in particular) there are tons of subtleties and simbolisms to find.

And I just love that ending (last 5 minutes or so). Along with the movie itself, one of the best I've ever seen.

A

P.S. - it's really sad that a movie like this didn't find a way in 100 Greatest, but Freddy Vs. Jason did... bah

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I was kind of hoping they wouldn't throw a death in there, but I knew all along they probably would. The movie had enough drama without a slightly contrived event like that thrown in. But then again I ended up loving the way the scene was shot and the reaction afterwards, so I'm not complaining too hard.

Otherwise though, I thought it was perfect. Like... really perfect. INSANE acting ensemble(maybe one of the best I've seen), captivating and intelligent screenplay, and the movie just has this strange momentum to it leading up to the climatic events. After Lecter's rips and Lee's history, I'm surprised to be complimenting the film for that. I guess I can thank the structure and mood of the film for that, it never loses anything when it switches between storylines and if anything they just add onto one another, dramatically.

It's beautifully directed(the ice storm itself... so pretty), it feels spot on to the 70s, and it just never loses its focus. Again, I guess that's the momentum thing, Lee is always in control. I think this is the best film I've seen from him so far and the only one I've really really loved.

While I loved most of the characters here, I think Ricci's was my favorite... her deliveries and facial expressions were just perfect. She absolutely nails that deviating adolescent persona, totally nails it. I think she should've got a nomination for this, along with Allen, Kline, Weaver (hell, give em all one). This didn't get a single Oscar nod. Boo.

The Ice Storm is the highest form of melodrama. Perfectly executed, acted, written, and filmed, and it holds power throughout. I really really loved this.

5/5. Geez I've giving a lot of these this year. I'm going soft. :disgust: Or maybe I'm just picking the right movies.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:01 am
Cream of the Crop

I still can't believe this didn't get a single Oscar nomination. Not even for Weaver (who was nominated for the Globe and won the BAFTA btw - one more reason to love the BAFTAs.) the brilliant screenplay (which was a Cannes winner at least), the art direction/cinematography(!), ... God, I need to see this again soon. And yes, you're picking the right films, Shack.. don't worry. :shades:

Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:11 am
Profile WWW
htm

This is sexy, sexy melodrama. It's Almodovar without cleavage and sunshine. It carefully avoids triteness - though some might debate this - and is always beautiful and tremendously well-acted.

SIGOURNEY WEAVER

Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:55 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Really liked it. It's a bit slow-moving at times, but the performances and direction were fantastic. Ang Lee's attention to detail is incredible and the cinematography is brilliant. Every actor is at the top of their game here, especially Christina Ricci and Sigourney Weaver. The ending was also quite haunting, devastating and thought-provoking. Highly recommended. A-

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:09 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]