Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Erin Brockovich 

What grade would you give this film?
A 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
B 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

Erin Brockovich 
College Boy Z

Post Erin Brockovich
Erin Brockovich

Quote:
Erin Brockovich is a 2000 drama film which dramatizes the story of Erin Brockovich's legal fight against the US West Coast energy corporation Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E). The film was directed by Steven Soderbergh and starred Julia Roberts, who won the Academy Award, Golden Globe, Screen Actors' Guild Award and BAFTA for Best Actress. It is based on a true story, and the real Erin Brockovich has a cameo appearance as a waitress named Julia.

Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:01 am
Veteran

This is a great movie. Julia Roberts finally found the role that took advantage of her charisma and allowed her to act without totally stripping her of what makes her Julia Roberts. Albert Finney was also great, much better than Benecio Del Toro in Traffic the same year, same director. he should have won the Oscar. I grade it an A-.

Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Liked it, didn't love it. Julia Roberts had a great performance.

8/10 (B+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

Definately a film for a female. Of what i can remember of it, nothing spectacular.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:32 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Great movie. I absolutely loved Finney and Roberts here. A+

Last edited by Riggs on Sun May 01, 2005 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:34 am
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

A very engaging movie. Roberts is awesome in this and I like the humor Finney brings into the story. Soderbergh's direction is flawless. (A-)

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:56 am
We had our time together

Finney definately deserved the Oscar that year.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:38 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

This is a great movie. Julia Roberts finally found the role that took advantage of her charisma and allowed her to act without totally stripping her of what makes her Julia Roberts. Albert Finney was also great, much better than Benecio Del Toro in Traffic the same year, same director. he should have won the Oscar. I grade it an A-.

I agree. I just don't see what was so great about Benicio. He was good, but he wasn't that best. Heck, about everyone else in Traffic was just as good as him, imo.

But about Erin Brockovich, I don't know what to say. This movie moved me in a way no other one has. It's in my top 10 of all time, but probably not #1. Julia's performance was the highlight, although Finney completely held his one. He deserved the Oscar that year.

A+

Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:15 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

The movie itself is good and better than Sodherberg's Traffic he released in the same year. Good direction, but what really stands out is Julia Roberts in the role of her life.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

A-

Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:00 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

It was a really good movie, it just dragged for me in certain parts.

B

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:54 pm
Award Winning Bastard

This is my next movie. I'll try to get it in tonight, but my shows are on tonight :oops:, and these pain killers kinda make me a little sleepy, so I'll try my best.

Sun May 01, 2005 1:41 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Mon May 02, 2005 10:57 pm
Profile YIM
Award Winning Bastard

I'll have no choice but to get both this and Magnolia in tonight. I was a little too juiced up on meds the last few days to watch any movies, and they are both due back tomorrow. I'll watch Traffic and Best in Show tomorrow.

Tue May 03, 2005 10:13 pm
Sbil

Wed May 04, 2005 6:29 pm
Award Winning Bastard

*ahem*

Yes, I was goofing off talking about fanboy stuff. #-o I will write it up now. I returned my movies and didn't get anything yet, but I still have some to watch tonight that are due back tomorrow because I went to get rentals twice last week. Any suggestions for me to rent? I'll be going there after Crash tomorrow, which I'm seeing around 4PM, so anytime before then would be fine. Ok, I've babbled enough. I'll write my review as soon as I can. :shv:

Wed May 04, 2005 6:35 pm
Sbil

Libs wrote:
*ahem*

Yes, I was goofing off talking about fanboy stuff. #-o I will write it up now. I returned my movies and didn't get anything yet, but I still have some to watch tonight that are due back tomorrow because I went to get rentals twice last week. Any suggestions for me to rent? I'll be going there after Crash tomorrow, which I'm seeing around 4PM, so anytime before then would be fine. Ok, I've babbled enough. I'll write my review as soon as I can. :shv:

You do realize it's Wednesday, not Thursday, right? :wink:

I'll think up some suggestions.

Wed May 04, 2005 6:40 pm
Award Winning Bastard

You do realize it's Wednesday, not Thursday, right? :wink:

I'll think up some suggestions.

Well, I obviously did when I took my rentals back that were due on Wednesday and when I watched The Amazing Race which airs on Tuesdays yesterday, but for that spilt second, I got mixed up. :oops: It's the medication, honest. :razz:

Wed May 04, 2005 6:47 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Libs, when you recommended Erin Brockovich, I did one of these...#-o , because I considered it to be everything that I didn't want to have to watch, but surprisingly enough, I haven't hated Julia Roberts since the Oscars. She was my Russell Crowe of the female gender. I shouldn't have doubted your impressive movie tastes, because, once again, I had nothing to worry about.

This may have been the best Julia Roberts has ever been,and I understand the Oscar more than ever now, and veteran actor Albert Finney was just as good in the role of Ed. Erin was quite an interesting woman, smart, hard working, but lacking class and sophistaction, and not exactly giving in her relationships, as she put her own needs first, and relished her own self worth and the way others perceived her. She was genuinely upset that she missed her daughters first words, but she never considered such a thing more important that her job. She also had a dirty mouth, and I just find it to be a big turnoff when women swear like that. Still, it was a great performance.

The story was very interesting, as Erin wormed her way into Ed's lawfirm as a file clerk, and then gets involved in investigating a case that involves toxin poisoning in a small town. I found the whole investigation to be very well executed. Ed is forced to get outside partners due to financial reasons, and I loved how Erin stuck it in their faces when she was talked down to, and showed them just how much ahead of them she was in the case.

Very enjoyable, and also touching in places.

A

Wed May 04, 2005 7:05 pm
life begins now

Thu May 05, 2005 5:37 pm
Profile YIM
No Wire Tampons!

This time for homework.

Still an A for me. Julia Roberts is wonderful. The whole thing was just amazing and you know, the town i live in has a similar plant that has been accused [in private to a close circle] by one of the most important doctors who ever stayed here of polluting.

I used to live ontop of a hill in the same town, where the fumes from the factory went.

Our neighbour across the road died of cancer. Our neighbour next door died of cancer, and so did her husband. Our other neighbour had cancer too and several other people on the hill, including my mother, had cancer.

Fishy?

Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Just watched it, AGAIN.

This time for homework.

Still an A for me. Julia Roberts is wonderful. The whole thing was just amazing and you know, the town i live in has a similar plant that has been accused [in private to a close circle] by one of the most important doctors who ever stayed here of polluting.

I used to live ontop of a hill in the same town, where the fumes from the factory went.

Our neighbour across the road died of cancer. Our neighbour next door died of cancer, and so did her husband. Our other neighbour had cancer too and several other people on the hill, including my mother, had cancer.

Fishy?

No, I'd say rather obvious than just fishy.

What is the homework?

Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

Lord Michael wrote:
Just watched it, AGAIN.

This time for homework.

Fishy?

No, I'd say rather obvious than just fishy.

What is the homework?

Well its not like anyone in the towns ever really questioned it; only some had the worries and most of the people who did left long ago.

My homework is comparing male and female protagonists in terms of representations from Master and Commander and Erin Brokovich and to suggest various motives for both foreground and background reps.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Talk about a career-defining role. Roberts deserved the Oscar for this film no doubt, as she delivered a truly amazing performance. The film itself was also quite good, perfect writing, excellent direction and solid production overall. Finney and Roberts share nearly flawless chemistry and are the highlights of the film without a doubt.

A-

Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:44 am
Cream of the Crop

Agree with all of you.. and I just want to add that Marg Helgenberger is amazing (and underrated? considering the lack of nominations for this performance..) in this too :smile:

A-

Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next