Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Annapolis 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Annapolis 
Sbil

Post Annapolis
Annapolis

Quote:
Annapolis is a 2006 drama film directed by Justin Lin and starring James Franco, Tyrese Gibson, Jordana Brewster, Donnie Wahlberg, Roger Fan, and Chi McBride. The film revolves around Jake Huard, a young man who dreams of one day attending the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. It was released January 27, 2006 in the United States.

As of February 12, 2006, the film grossed an approximate total of US$17.2 million in the United States, and was produced for a $26-million budget. Annapolis scored mostly negative reviews from critics but found an audience on DVD selling over four million copies and staying on top 10 rental lists around the country.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:37 pm
All Star Poster

Oh wow, No one has posted or voted... Is this a record??

Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I'm seeing it Friday night. I'll let you know.

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:05 pm
Superman: The Movie

I was expecting the mix of Top Gun and An Officer and a Gentelman, but I didn't expect to have some Rocky thrown in. I expected the film to be full of cliches and dull action sequences, but maybe end up as a guilty pleasure. That's kind of what it ended up being for me.

The film didn't have too many cliches, or at least one's that didn't bug me very much (Franco's relationship with his father in the film doesn't work at all) and there weren't any action sequences. I'm still actually surprised that there was NO action in the film since the trailer features an explosion, but that must be in the three hour version. The film surprisingly didn't need any though.

Besides the father/son relationship, the film works because of the relationships, especially the one between Franco and his overweight roomate from Arkansas. Now that sounds like a cliche right there, but I bought into it. I also bought into the romantic relationship between Franco and Jordanna Brewster. Another reason to see the film at least at one point or another is because of the boxing sequences. They're very nicely shot and entertaining to watch.

Now this is by no means a great film, but if you are hesitant about seeing it in theaters, I would at least give it a rental.

[font=arial]B-[/font]

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Pretty solid, predictable flick. Nothing special, but I liked it.

Jordanna Brewster is hot.

B-

Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:06 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Pretty solid, predictable flick. Nothing special, but I liked it.

Jordanna Brewster is hot.

B-

That's pretty much 100% what I'd say. James Franco was mediocre but the rest of the cast did a solid job.

7/10 (B-)

Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:00 am
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

Pretty crappy if you ask me.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:53 pm
Teh Mexican

predictible but it was good, i thought James Franco did a decent job

B-

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:29 am
You must have big rats

I actually liked it quite a bit to my huge surprise. It is not a demanding film, but I liked this mixture of An Officer and a Gentelman and Rocky. James Franco is surprisingly good here and the film moves along at a very good pace, never dragging. There was only one that that really bothered me and that was Tyrese's character who was as one-dimensional as it gets. No motivation, no development behind him. If they had worked on it, it could have really been good. The boxing scenes were decent, not great. The whole training stuff and the depiction of the naval academy stuff seemed pretty realistic.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]