Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Truth About Charlie 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Truth About Charlie 
College Boy Z

Post The Truth About Charlie
The Truth About Charlie

Quote:
The Truth About Charlie is a 2002 remake of the 1963 film Charade. It is also an homage to François Truffaut's 1960 film Shoot the Piano Player complete with that film's star, Charles Aznavour, making two surreal appearances singing his song "Quand tu m'aimes" (first in French, later in English).

The Truth About Charlie was produced, directed and co-written by Academy Award winner Jonathan Demme. It stars Mark Wahlberg and Thandie Newton in the roles once played by Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn.

This version closely mirrors the plotline of the original film. It is once again set in Paris and features several famous French actors. Director Agnès Varda makes a cameo appearance. Actress/Chanteuse Anna Karina sings a Serge Gainsbourg song in one scene.

Peter Stone, screenwriter of Charade, receives a story credit as "Peter Joshua," which was one of the identities Grant's character used in the first film. Stone disliked the remake and refused to be credited under his real name. The name of Wahlberg's character in the remake is "Joshua Peters."

The film received a mixed reception from critics and was a flop at the box office, bringing only $7 million worldwide.

Original Charade accidentally slipped into the public domain, Universal had never bothered to release it officially on DVD until it was included as a bonus feature on the B-side of the "Charlie" DVD. They had previously licensed it to The Criterion Collection, while numerous unofficial DVDs had been released all over the world.

An alright thriller. C+

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:28 pm
Devil's Advocate

Some good or great parts, but it gets too confusing and muddled up for it's own good. Wahlberg is terrible in this film too.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:28 pm
now we know

Charade is excellent, and this remake is ... patchy. I'm not sure how to feel about it. On the one hand, I lick my lips at a murder mystery set in Paris featuring shady characters, a damsel in distress, the search for a loot, a murder on a train, and the FBI, and it is certainly interesting to a degree, but at the same time it oozes an inferiority that only a remake in the early 2000s can. It sure is confident with its approach, and that is down to Demme, but he goes overboard with the filmmaking. Strange angles, a fidgety camera, and a slightly convoluted plot make this film just a good attempt, and not a great film. I don't know, it just feels like faux art. But I didn't hate it. It has a cool soundtrack, and Thandie Newton is utterly delectable.

C+

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]