Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Wolf Creek 

What grade would you give this film?
A 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16

Wolf Creek 
College Boy Z

Post Wolf Creek
Wolf Creek

Quote:
Wolf Creek is a 2005 independent Australian horror film written, co-produced and directed by Greg McLean. The story revolves around three backpackers (played by Nathan Phillips, Kestie Morassi and Cassandra Magrath) who find themselves held captive by a serial killer (John Jarratt) in the Australian outback. The film was marketed as being "based on true events".

Wolf Creek premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2005. The Australian premiere was in March 2005 in Adelaide. The film was later screened at the Cannes Film Festival the following May. It was released in cinemas across the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland in September 2005. In its home country of Australia, the film received a general release in November 2005, apart from the Northern Territory, due to the trial surrounding the murder of British traveller Peter Falconio. It was released on 25 December 2005 in the United States.

Although the film received moderately positive to mixed reviews, it was nominated for seven Australian Film Institute awards, including Best Director. In 2010, the film was included in Slant Magazine's list of the 100 best films of the decade.

Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:14 pm
La Bella Vito

Very disappointing. I didn't know it would take nearly an hour before something interesting would happen. It obviously takes more time to develop all the characters, but it's very boring, and all the characters are one dimensional and not interesting. When it finally takes off it doesn't get much better. It's just one huge mess that doesn't have one redeeming quality about it. I thought it would be so much better after seeing all the good reviews it got on the commercials, but this just goes to show that just because a film gets good reviews doesn't mean you're going to like it. Also the previews make it look like some intense fast paced horror film, but this movie is anything but that. It was one boring mess, and one of the worst horror films I have seen in a long time.

D-

Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

"Mick Taylor should be in the pantheon of classic horror characters along with Leatherface and Freddy Krueger."
-- Edward Douglas, COMINGSOON.NET

"[It's] scary cinema pushed to the brink of punishment. But there's no question that what it sets out to do, it does alarmingly well."
-- Dennis Harvey, VARIETY

"This is some horror flick."
-- G. Allen Johnson, SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

I had been anticipating Wolf Creek ever since I first heard about it. I didn't know much at first, only that it was a horror film based on true events. But once I saw the first international trailer, I was sold. I eagerly awaited the release date in the U.S. as the film recieved glowing reviews overseas. When the domestic trailer was released my anticipation grew. I had no idea what to expect. When it was finally released in the United States it was met with mixed reviews and bad word of mouth, despite a solid box-office showing in its first weekend. Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw when I finally decided to enter Wolf Creek.

The film follows Liz (Cassandra Magrath), Kristy (Kestie Morassi) and Ben (Nathan Phillips) as they decide to venture away from home on a vacation through the Australian Outback - with the primary attraction being the legendary crater located in a place called Wolf Creek. They expect a time full of fun, sun and adventure - but none of them could ever imagine what actually awaits them. When their car mysteriously breaks down in the middle of nowhere, they are forced to seek help from a seemingly friendly stranger named Mick (John Jarratt) who just happens to be passing by. But the three soon discover that things are never what they seem, and soon they find themselves fighting for their lives in a day full of unrelenting terror.

Much of the criticism that this film has recieved is in regards to the first 45 minutes, which primarily focus on developing the story and the characters. Many people have found this segment boring and uninteresting. I feel completely differently. This portion of the film is essential to the film and I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if this was absent. It allows you to get to know the people on screen and develop a liking for them. I also felt that this portion was very creepy in a way, thanks to the excellent visuals and the haunting score. You can feel something is coming, but you have no idea what to expect.

The second act is just as effective as the first, but in a different way. This is when the film truly becomes a horror film - one that is absolutely terrifying, suspenseful and brutal. I rarely close my eyes in scary movies, I've become accustomed to anything they throw at me, but during several scenes in Wolf Creek my hands were covering my eyes. One scene in the film is so unrelenting and disturbing that it will stay with you for quite a long time to come. Part of the reason why everything is so disturbing here is because of the realism. Because you have gotten to know each character, it is horrifying to see them go through this torture - much like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I was on the edge of my seat throughout and had no idea what to expect.

The performances are excellent. The standout is John Jarratt, who creates one of the scariest horror villains in years. He pulls off the role perfectly, drawing the audience in with his friendly attitude and charisma early on but then completely turning the tables by becoming a manic and vicious psychopath. Cassandra Magrath is great and really makes a strong impression. Nathan Phillips is likable as Ben and Kestie Morassi is good as Kristy.

The direction by Greg McLean is fantastic and the cinematography is a wonder to behold. He manages to show the beauty of the Australian Outback while also carefully reminding the audience how isolated our characters really are. He also creates some of the most haunting death scenes in recent memory, easily standing out from any other horror entry this year. The musical score by François Tétaz is moody and foreboding, used at just the right moments to keep the audience in suspsense.

In closing, Wolf Creek is a must-see for any true horror fan. I loved every minute of it, from its moody first act to its disturbing and terrifying finale. This is easily the best horror film of the year and one of the strongest to come along since The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Take the trip.

9/10 (A)

Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:28 am
Profile YIM
Where will you be?

A pleasant surprise, Wolf Creek is much better then most any horror movie of it's ilk. In addition to actually getting me to care about all three of the lead's I was genuinely surprised by some of the events in the film (TOTALLY didn't see the 'head on a stick' coming, I was sure that they were the one who was going to make it). If the ending is a bit of a letdown, let's face it, 95% of horror movies have shitty endings. B

Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:31 am
Mod Team Leader

One of the most distubring films I have ever seen. Pushes the envelope and reminds me a bit of Last House on the Left. I have never seen humans dehumanized more than this film, except maybe lhontl. A tight, tense and tough film to get through.

7.5/10

Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Some parts were good, but the film was really boring and the ending was a total stinker.

C

Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:21 am
New Server, Same X

Rivetting ride. It's nothing profound in the horror genre, but what is nowadays? I think it certainly is in the top half of the genre, and that's a feat in itself. If I saw it for a reasonable price (no, not just a bargain bin), I'd buy it for Halloween watching.

Grade: B+

Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:30 pm
Devil's Advocate

Absolutely excellent horror film. Character development goes a bit too long, but it is needed as it leads you to actually care about these characters. What I liked about what they did there to, is that they didn't need a full ensemble of victims for Mick to slay. They only needed 3, and they were able to distribute the lead status and focus equally among all of them.

Once the movie picks up, it's friggin awesome. Some of the scenes were so unexpected, and so sick. They take you for minutes at a time on certain characters, making you believe that yes this one will make it out alive. But then Mick comes along and kills them, it's shocking but so good.

Not only is the film great in that aspect, but the movie is also quality. The acting is perfectly charasmatic between Jarrett and the 3 leads, and there are a few scenes that are just amazing. Kristie on the highway was breathtaking for me, it left me in awe.

And I liked the ending. If everyone died, it would be too depressing. It'd be more real per se, but personally I like to have at least 1 or 2 people live in these horror movies. I just enjoy it more when they do.

Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:34 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

"Mick Taylor should be in the pantheon of classic horror characters along with Leatherface and Freddy Krueger."
-- Edward Douglas, COMINGSOON.NET

"[It's] scary cinema pushed to the brink of punishment. But there's no question that what it sets out to do, it does alarmingly well."
-- Dennis Harvey, VARIETY

"This is some horror flick."
-- G. Allen Johnson, SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

I had been anticipating Wolf Creek ever since I first heard about it. I didn't know much at first, only that it was a horror film based on true events. But once I saw the first international trailer, I was sold. I eagerly awaited the release date in the U.S. as the film recieved glowing reviews overseas. When the domestic trailer was released my anticipation grew. I had no idea what to expect. When it was finally released in the United States it was met with mixed reviews and bad word of mouth, despite a solid box-office showing in its first weekend. Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw when I finally decided to enter Wolf Creek.

The film follows Liz (Cassandra Magrath), Kristy (Kestie Morassi) and Ben (Nathan Phillips) as they decide to venture away from home on a vacation through the Australian Outback - with the primary attraction being the legendary crater located in a place called Wolf Creek. They expect a time full of fun, sun and adventure - but none of them could ever imagine what actually awaits them. When their car mysteriously breaks down in the middle of nowhere, they are forced to seek help from a seemingly friendly stranger named Mick (John Jarratt) who just happens to be passing by. But the three soon discover that things are never what they seem, and soon they find themselves fighting for their lives in a day full of unrelenting terror.

Much of the criticism that this film has recieved is in regards to the first 45 minutes, which primarily focus on developing the story and the characters. Many people have found this segment boring and uninteresting. I feel completely differently. This portion of the film is essential to the film and I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if this was absent. It allows you to get to know the people on screen and develop a liking for them. I also felt that this portion was very creepy in a way, thanks to the excellent visuals and the haunting score. You can feel something is coming, but you have no idea what to expect.

The second act is just as effective as the first, but in a different way. This is when the film truly becomes a horror film - one that is absolutely terrifying, suspenseful and brutal. I rarely close my eyes in scary movies, I've become accustomed to anything they throw at me, but during several scenes in Wolf Creek my hands were covering my eyes. One scene in the film is so unrelenting and disturbing that it will stay with you for quite a long time to come. Part of the reason why everything is so disturbing here is because of the realism. Because you have gotten to know each character, it is horrifying to see them go through this torture - much like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I was on the edge of my seat throughout and had no idea what to expect.

The performances are excellent. The standout is John Jarratt, who creates one of the scariest horror villains in years. He pulls off the role perfectly, drawing the audience in with his friendly attitude and charisma early on but then completely turning the tables by becoming a manic and vicious psychopath. Cassandra Magrath is great and really makes a strong impression. Nathan Phillips is likable as Ben and Kestie Morassi is good as Kristy.

The direction by Greg McLean is fantastic and the cinematography is a wonder to behold. He manages to show the beauty of the Australian Outback while also carefully reminding the audience how isolated our characters really are. He also creates some of the most haunting death scenes in recent memory, easily standing out from any other horror entry this year. The musical score by François Tétaz is moody and foreboding, used at just the right moments to keep the audience in suspsense.

In closing, Wolf Creek is a must-see for any true horror fan. I loved every minute of it, from its moody first act to its disturbing and terrifying finale. This is easily the best horror film of the year and one of the strongest to come along since The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Take the trip.

9/10 (A)

Your hands were covering your eyes??? From what??? :-k This has to be the most overrated or one of the most overrated so called horror movies I've ever bared witness to and how exactly were the death scenes haunting??? If you honestly feel this movie was the strongest horror movie in a long time, then you must not watch horror very often cause this blew.. Here's a thought: The part where the chick had the Rifle and shot Mick Dundee in the neck causing him to drop to the ground in what appears to be in an unconcious state, why on earth didn't she pump a round into the guy's head finishing him off and instead, discharged the shells from the Rifle and attempted to hit him in the back with the Rifle in the cheesiest way I've ever seen for someone getting beaten by a rifle??? :hahaha:

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:39 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

The biggest flaws Wolf Creek has is, it's not scary and it's very boring. If both of those elements aren't in a horror film, that usually signifies doom for the film. Well, Wolf Creek was probably the worst horror film in terms of scares, gore, and all around horror last year, but the acting is actually very good. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed the opening hour when almost nothing happens. I liked the setup. That saying though, no horror film should have an hour of setup. There should be at least a couple of scares during that time. This film delivers none throughout the 100 minute running time.

And the ending, even for a horror film is an absolute joke.

D+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Without trying to sound condescending or arrogant, I must say that I am quite suspicious of any "true" horror fan who would bash a movie like Wolf Creek. I suppose I just have a disticntly different conception of horror than them. To me, Wolf Creek was probably the third-best English-language horror movie of 2005 (behind Saw II and The Descent). It has all the ingridients of what makes horror movies good, but it also goes beyond that.

This is one of the very few realism-horror that really succeeds in the realism-department. Certainly, the low budget also contributes to it. The movie feels very raw, gritty and is constantly unnerving. Yes, it takes its time. A lot of time until it gets into some action. Almost an hour, to be exact. But it does build up its characters to a point when you actually care about them and what happens to them. Movies like Hostel don't manage that in the slightest. When you see the protagonists in pain in this one, you feel for them.

Honestly, though, I can understand why many hated the movie. A main reason for that is certainly that the bad guy survives and is never found. But that is exactly what makes the movie even moreso realistic. There are no "heroes" in this. There is no revenge and the body count is small as well. Yet, the movie is terribly suspenseful, tense and shocking in its last 30 minutes. Jarrat delivers a great insanly menacing turn as Mick Taylor.

The film is not without flaws. The whole thing with the not working watches is never explained and is pretty unnecessary. Some of the things the protagonists do are rather stupid. But on the whole, it is a very impressive feat. Too bad most people fail to appreciate it.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

Lecter I agree with your first 2 sentences. Despite our differences on the SAW franchise and a few romantic comedies, we actually agree with each other. The film also serperate fans of baseless horror (gorefayors) and horror aficianadoes.

My review:

the Australian tourism industry is in big trouble.

The film begins in Broome, we see Sydney-boy Ben (Nathan Phillips), and two Pommy backpackers Liz (Cassandra Magrath) and Kristy (Kestie Morassi) about to begin a road trip to Townsville via Darwin. However, before they set off towards the top end they decide to venture to Wolf Creek. Wolf Creek being some place, where a meteorite crashed into the dessert back in the 40s. Along the way to Wolf Creek, they meet some unfriendly locals who haven't been introduced to the toothbrush and we also discover that Ben has the natural talent for talking shit. They arrive at Wolf Creek which is protected by a fence and a 3 hour hike, consequently they foot-Falcon up to "the hole" leaving their bomb all alone. The walk to "the hole" in the earth, is surprisingly quick considering they are all chain smokers. While at Wolf Creek, we are left wondering if Kristy has a dirty habit of farting. When they return to the car, we are greeted to Ben having a piss and some freaky situation about Kristy's and Ben's watches stopping for no apparent reason while they were venturing Wolf Creek. To add more mystery their car mysteriously doesn't start. As they settle down for the night, a man (appropriately named) Mick (John Jarrett) arrives and offers to help. Mick happily reminds the girls of Mick Dundee from Crocodile Dundee, to Ben he is a socially retarded bushpig. He drives them back to his 'home', where he fixes their car and offers them fresh rain water from the Northern Territory. They doze off. When Liz wakes up, she is bound and gagged and terror ensues.

Have you heard the sound of a knife shattering a spinal cord? Based on true events, Wolf Creek is a film that will push the limits of how much you can stand. It is shocking, unapologetic and upsetting. The realistic of some of the violence is purely unwatchable. The violence in Wolf Creek will satisfy all senses, apart from smell. But I wonder what a piece of rotting flesh would smell like if it was 2 metres away. At one point where Kristie is being victimised, 2 girls left the cinema visibly upset. The film also works on all emotions, not only because the film is based on a true story but because going on road trips is something we do, and it doesn't help having a broken down car in the middle of nowhere and have some social retard help you. The performances are actually very good considering the work the actors have done. Jarret use to host Better Homes and Gardens, Magrath played Sigrid Thornton's daughter on Seachange and some after school ABC show and Phillips was seen earlier this year in the turkey, You and Your Stupid Mate. Considering the budget limitations, the cinematography is fantastic.

Wolf Creek uses a lot of clichés associated with the genre, however first time writer/director, Greg McLean, directs in such a way that it still remains fresh rather than annoying. Whether or not it was necessary to overdo the character development and backstory may not sit well for viewers who want to see blood and guts in the first five minutes. McLean tries to hard to make the leads likeable, often to no avail. At one point, you can't wait till they die. However, you don't notice the achievement in the direction once the film is over. Apart from a small plot hole and a few inconsistancy errors, Wolf Creek comes out unscathed and rather satisfying.

Wolf Creek is a must for fans of horror only. Mainstream audiences will have trouble enjoying Wolf Creek partly because of its slowness and the outcome.

A-

Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:05 pm
Teenage Dream

This film provides a brilliant contrast. Some of the most beautiful and artistically accomplished direction of the year showcases some of the most horrific images you could possibly imagine. Combined with some great performances and characters you actually care about, this was one of the better horror films of last year. The final frames are a bit of a letdown, though, as it feels like the filmmakers felt like they needed to wrap everything up in a nice pretty package. Didn't fit the tone of the rest of the picture.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:37 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Rather boring and not at all redeeming. The characters were annoying and constantly felt like they were high on something, which still didn't justify their actions. Was I the only person who saw the utter absurdity of some of their actions? Seriously the two girls could have easily survived if they hadn't been so stupid throughout. And of course there are so many plot holes the movie is almost laughable.

The final few moments were tense but still rather boring. A complete waste of film. C

Mon May 15, 2006 5:10 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

For true fans of the horror genre this is a very admirably entry to the ranks that shows up the sanitised PG-13 style abominations that have killed horror in hollywood.

For a movie made on a tight budget it looks fantastic with the lingering views of the Australian outback really conveying the desolate nature of the place. The main actors from Jarrett to Magrath do very good jobs in there respective roles. Jarrett's performance in purticular stand's out his sweaty hairy pyscho of a character lodging in your brain. Nathan Phillips does a preety decent job with what on paper is a pretty threadbare stereotypical Surfer/Funloving Aussie and Morassi and Magrath's English accents where so convincing i actually didn't know they where Australians.

The film does take quite a while before it gets into the blood and torture but i found that to be quite a good thing as you got to know the characters and genuinely felt bad when the messy shit started to go down.

Some of the violence is pretty graphic in fact it's the first time I've ever squirmed in a cinema seat when it comes to horror. If you can't stand human torture scenes id advise you not to not see this movie

Some of the things the 2 female characters do when there trying to escape are pretty damn stupid but most horror's make that mistake so i was willing to overlook it. The ending also comes rather abruptly although it does leave a satisifingly grim aftertaste. As a tourist advert for Australia it pretty bad, but as a horror it's top notch. Second best horror of 2005 after "The Descent"

A-

Mon May 15, 2006 9:54 pm
Extraordinary

Enjoyed it, once the action starts it never lets out (except the end), alot of surprising moments and in a good way. My gripe is the psycho killer wasnt very scary at all, decent acting but he just didnt seem very threatening (guess thats the point though and how he gets his victims)

One of the better horror films i've recently, thats for sure.

Grade - B-

Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:39 pm
Devil's Advocate

Still the best horror film of the last 2 years IMO, and maybe the best horror film since The Ring.

I must say that looking back on it now, the character development was more important than ever... By getting to know these people as much as you do, by having them be more than just regular victims, watching them get brutalized is made so much more shocking effective, because now it's not just random faces getting chopped up, it's people you've been with for the first half of the movie completley, you're into them at that point. That format also seperates it from most horrors released any time recently. The beautiful cinematography, insane kills and blood-spilling, and sickening villian also don't hurt either of course. :shades:

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:35 pm
Mod Team Leader

If you consider yourself a true horror fan, then you have been pleasantly surprised with what the industry has produced in the last decade. Scream is mostly responsible for the present horror revival that we are enjoying. And this has paved the way for many other films of the ilk to grace our screens. And while films like Scream and Sixth Sense are very fine and worthy additions to the genre, there are few films that are true throwbacks to what made horror the iconic and different genre that it is. Watching Wolf Creek, it reminded me of the films of the 70’s that defined my love of the genre. This film has been compared to the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and although it is not quite on that level, it has the same palette from which it paints its picture

Movie

Well written, realistically acted and directed with panache, Wolf Creek is a film that begins deliberately tedious but then builds to a crescendo that will rival any modern horror film. While the film is not quite on the level of some of the industry giants, it is a modern masterpiece. It gives you plenty of time to get to know the characters before you witness, a la Last House on the Left, the absolute dehumanization of our three heroes. Making it all the more realistic and painful to watch is that you do get to know the characters. You get to watch a romance blossom. You see friendships grow and you become involved with the characters as they embark on their ominously doomed journey. Too many times, films think they can emulate the pioneers of the genre, and most times they fail. Again, I’m not advocating that you can put this film on the same level as some of the icons of the 70’s. But it does make a case for a film to be remembered in decades to come. The film is never pretentious or coy or cute with what it has to say and it doesn’t pretend to be something that it is not. There is no CGI and not an expensive budget for a lot of re-shoots. Instead what you get is a film that sets out to scare you and it achieves that beautifully.

The story of "Wolf Creek" is pretty simple on the surface, the film even comes with the notation "based on true events", something that makes the story all that more disturbing.

"Wolf Creek" is the story of twenty something friends Liz Hunter (Cassandra Magrath) and Kristy Earl (Kestie Morassi), two female British backpackers who join up with local Australian resident Ben Mitchell (Nathan Phillips) for a road trip through the back roads of the Outback, headed toward the seaside destination of Broome. Seeing the local sights along the way leads the trio to the Wolf Creek National Park, which features a large crater that offers the group an afternoon of hiking. Spending the better part of the day in the park, they head back to the car to continue on their journey west. After noticing that their wristwatches have stopped working and even worse, their car suddenly won't start, the three individuals become temporarily stranded and decide to spend the night in their car.

Later that night, a nomadic trucker conveniently just happens to be in the area. He stops by and tells the stranded backpackers that he has the tools to fix their car back at his camp (yes, that’s right, his camp, chilling enough to make me want to just stay in the car until morning) Hesitant at first, Ben decides that they have no choice but to go with this rougher looking character as their options are rather limited at the moment. Towing their car back to his camp, which turns out to be a deserted mine, the three friends are huddled around the campfire and drink rain water before passing out. Shortly after, the three fall fast asleep and then Liz abruptly awakens, bound and locked in a utility shed. This is when the true terror begins.

Since viewing Wolf Creek, I have looked into the case that it is based on and if you google the real life person that this is based on, you’ll be quite shocked at how much of the film might have really happened..

"Wolf Creek" is a welcoming addition to the horror genre. The brutally raw and visually horrific at times, "Wolf Creek" will definitely take fans of horror back to a time when these films were truly frightening.

Dimension Films presents "Wolf Creek" to the North American audience in a beautiful anamorphic enhanced widescreen transfer, preserving the original theatrical exhibition of the film. Thanks to "

The provided Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack is mixed to produce the right amount of tension at just the precise moments in the film. This is a film that is a treat in the theater, and if you have a surround system at home, it is best to watch and listen with all five or six speakers primed and ready to go.

Speical Features

Venturing into the special features section, we are presented with a full-length audio commentary, featuring director Greg McLean, producer Matt Hearn and actors Cassandra Magrath and Kestie Morassi. Since commentary is my favourite part of any DVD special feature, it is imperative that this section be informative and indulgent. And this has the best of both. The camaraderie is evident and you can feel that the actors and the director had a good time making the film.

A well put together behind the scenes documentary simply titled "The Making of Wolf Creek" is as informative as it is entertaining. The presentation provides details surrounding the filmmaker's goal of setting out to create a true "Australian" horror icon. Some of their inspirations to this character were Freddy Krueger and Leatherface and with the right mix of both, they have succeeded admirably in the goal. This documentary is well worth the 50 minutes of time invested.

"Wolf Creek" is a truly welcomed addition to modern horror.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]