Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Munich 

What grade would you give this film?
A 65%  65%  [ 44 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 68

Munich 
Extraordinary

Post Munich
Munich

Quote:
Munich is a 2005 historical fiction film about the Israeli government's secret retaliation attacks after the massacre of Israeli athletes by Black September militant group during the 1972 Summer Olympics. The film stars Eric Bana and was produced and directed by Steven Spielberg. It was written by Tony Kushner and Eric Roth.

The film shows how a squad of assassins, led by former Mossad agent Avner (Eric Bana), track down and murder a list of Black September members thought to be responsible for the eleven Israeli athletes' murders. The second part of the movie, which depicts the Israeli government's response, has been debated a great deal by film critics and newspaper columnists. Spielberg refers to the film's second part as "historical fiction", saying it is inspired by the actual Israeli operations which are now known as Operation Wrath of God.

The film received positive reviews and was nominated for five Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Director (Spielberg), Best Adapted Screenplay (Tony Kushner and Eric Roth), Best Film Editing (Michael Kahn) and Best Original Score (John Williams).

Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:56 am
Profile WWW
Spielberg's best film in a very long time. The Dutch assasination, I can't shake it.

A+

Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 pm
You must have big rats

Spielberg's best film in a very long time. The Dutch assasination, I can't shake it.

A+

Better than SPR?

Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

One of the best movies I have seen this year, if not the past couple of years.

The political message in this movie was light..it wasnt overbearing..and did not beat me over the head, like I thought it was going to. This movie is a great heart stopping thriller, mixed in with the emotions of the main character, avner, how he handles it, how a normal man like himself handles killing people. There we're several great moments and great performances, and I can easily say that this movie is a top 10 of the year type film. It should have NO problem getting oscar noms.

Grade: A

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:12 pm
Profile WWW

A+

That was tough... Its like..when does the killing stop?

Spielberg's best since SPR, I think it is up there with SPR/Schindlers list

If Munich doesnt get a BP oscar, spielberg should at least get directing.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:14 pm
Profile WWW

A F? come on. The post should be made so that you cant vote, if you do not write anything.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

I swear guys the Munich attack never happened. It's all a lie from the Jews.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:50 pm
The French Dutch Boy

A F? come on. The post should be made so that you cant vote, if you do not write anything.

Or, when you insert a grade into the poll, your grade should be listed along with your screenname, so that everyone knows who graded it and what grade. That would be awesome. Nobody could put in those stupid fake F's without sufferring humiliation.

PEACE, Mike.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:29 am
loyalfromlondon wrote:

A+

Better than SPR?

I would say it's on par with the Spielberg Renaissance (Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan).

Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:29 am
Extraordinary

It doesnt come out here until january 5.I have heard that the film is one of the most violent films ever,is that true?

Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:35 am
Profile WWW
It doesnt come out here until january 5.I have heard that the film is one of the most violent films ever,is that true?

Ever is a bit much. Definitely the kills are matter of fact and close up, much like Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan.

The Dutch assassination (I keep going back to it) was one of most brutal things I've ever seen. Someone of Spielberg's caliber mixing sex and violence like that, it was bound to be jaw dropping. I actually smacked my forehead and did a
WTF" after the sequence.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:41 am

One of the most violent ever? I wouldnt go that far, there is a good amount of killing, but with the bombings, you never actually see the killing..just the explosions..

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
neo_wolf wrote:

One of the most violent ever? I wouldnt go that far, there is a good amount of killing, but with the bombings, you never actually see the killing..just the explosions..

Well, in additon to the Dutch assassination, there's the knife in the head, and about a dozen, maybe more, close range shootings.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:41 pm
The Incredible Hulk

Munich a tense political thriller about justice and vengence is my choice for the best film of the year.Most memorable moments for me were the Danish assasination and the assasinations in Lebanon.But what will keep me coming back to see Munich in the weeks ahead is Eric Bana's quiet and intense performance as Avnar.One of the best moments in the film for me is when Avnar calls his wife and breaks down at the sound of his young daughter's voice, wonderful. I've given Munich an A- rather then an A because I thought the film could have benefited from tighter editing as it dragged in spots. That's my only complaint as Munich is easily the best film I've seen this year.

Grade A-

Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I loved Munich. I revelled in the gorgeous look of this film, the absolute mastery of the camera by Steven, the framing, the fantastic handheld work, the precise panning and zooming, the use of reflections, the authentic 70's look, it was all just a treat for the eyes. Kaminski once again brings his keen eye for splendid lighting to a Berg project and this has to go down as one of his best efforts in their long running partnership. Filming mostly on real locations, he manages to bring out such a rich texture and dynamic light and shadow that are perfectly suited to the nature of the story. Of particular note are the beautiful shots inside the building during the first hit and the spectacularly choreographed gun fight in Greece (I think). It's really a combination of the superb camera movements, lighting and sound editing that give many of the "action" sequences in Munich a sense of realism and impact that elevate them above most everything else. I just can't think of any other director right now, or ever for that matter, that was better with executing spectacular set-pieces. The build-up and unexpectedly powerful explosion at the Olympic Hotel is amazing and one of the best scenes of the year.

Technical details aside, Munich was a pretty fascinating character study, history lesson (yes I know some of it isn't true, but I'm talking about the basic outline we're given of the tragedy and the various motivations/hostilities existing at that time) and morality play. As an audience we end up questioning the lengths one will go to to avenge a terrible wrong. Does violence beget more violence? Is it ultimately a futile endeavour? Can it ever end, when the stakes are so high for these people? Also apparent in the screenplay is the focus on home, how much it means to each individual and how valuable and hard to attain such comfort is. It's a precious thing, one I think I myself take for granted. The scenes with Avner gazing upon a lavish kitchen set-up in a store window, or the staircase conversation with the PLO officer really serve to flesh these themes out.

Eric Bana delivers a marvelous performance as Avner. He initially takes on the mission with a hesitancy. His timid nature seems ill suited to such work and he shows this during the first assassination. But Avner is a proud servant of his country and as the bodies begin to pile up, he becomes willing to kill anyone in hopes of attaining a seemingly impossible ideal. A state of paranoia is where he ends up and Bana hits all the right notes in the transformation.

The mostly unknown (to me) supporting cast also turn in fine performances across the board. Ciarin Hinds is my personal stand-out playing the clean-up man Carl, but Daniel Craig is neck and neck with him in the scene stealing department. I think I'm now fully convinced that Craig can absolutely kill as James Bond, provided a good script of course.

If there was a complaint itt would have to do with the seemingly awkward placement of the sex-scene inter-cut with the final piece of the Munich flashback. I wasn't really grasping the significance of this directing decision, so if anyone has a good explanation of why this choice was made, I'm all ears. It's nothing that was seriously detrimental though and the final scene with Rush ended the movie on a perfect note, with a little food for thought.

So it's just like 1993 all over again, with Spielberg releases both a fantastic blockbuster and a serious adult film in the span of a year. It's pretty amazing to see him work so fast and deliver such quality. Of his films since 1983, I would rate only Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan and AI ahead of Munich.

A

Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:12 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Munich is an excellent movie. It is part thriller and part drama, political and otherwise. The best part about is the fact that absolutes are debated. Spielberg raises questions that no one has answers for at this time and maybe never will. The performances are excellent. I would rate it as the 5th best Spielberg movie. This is not just a movie about the 70's. It is very relevant today.

A+

Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:39 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

While it certainly was intriguing to see an anti-semitic* Steven Spielberg movie, the actual story played out like three back-to-back episodes of Israeli Mission Impossible with a weak epilogue tacked on. It's hard not to think of Eric Bana as the Hulk - "Hulk Mad. Hulk Kill PLO!", but the other Israeli terrorists were well played. Overall, a bit better than the average Spielberg dreck, so I'll have to rate this one:

3 out of 5.

(* At least the way that term is often defined in Internet debate these days (ie: any questioning of Israeli foreign policy...)

Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:43 pm
Extraordinary

This is by far the best Spielberg film I've ever seen as far as his dramatic work, and miles more insightful than anything else he's done. Very viscerally engaging as well. The culmination of strong direction and smart philosophy.

A

Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:13 am
You must have big rats

Excellent, excellent film.

This is by far the best Spielberg film I've ever seen as far as his dramatic work, and miles more insightful than anything else he's done. Very viscerally engaging as well. The culmination of strong direction and smart philosophy.

A

:D :D :D

Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:19 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:41 am
Extraordinary

loyalfromlondon wrote:

A+

That was tough... Its like..when does the killing stop?

Spielberg's best since SPR, I think it is up there with SPR/Schindlers list

If Munich doesnt get a BP oscar, spielberg should at least get directing.

I haven't seen Privte Ryan, but its better than Schindler's List. Everyone knows I reserve slight hesitation about that film, and have never 100% endorsed it. Munich, I strongly encourage everyone go see.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:01 pm

Why not leave a review huh?

Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Hey you idiots that are grading a F

Why not leave a review huh?

Check out other movie threads.

If you don't get unreviewed Fs in this board, you are nobody.

What Mixed Drink Are You?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatmixeddrinkareyouquiz/

Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Smart thriller and probably the most imporant movie you'll see this year, something that is still going on in the world today. If it happens to win an oscar, the importance if the film will be one of the main reasons why. The cast is all around solid and the assassins play incredibly well off each other, this is a group of very talented actors. Bana's character really gets interesting when he starts breaking down little by little, he's confused and doesnt know what to belive anymore, Bana does a very good job with that.

When Spielberg makes an R rated movie he makes an R rated movie. He doesnt shy away from the violence and thats what made the assassination scenes so much more intense and real, he knows what he's doing. The attention to detail is fantastic in the movie, it all feels like the 70's and looks like it, even the grainy picture of the movie.

All in all it was a very good thriller with some flaws including the editing and some of the pacing, it couldnt had a good 20min cut out. I'll need to see it again in theaters to get a better grasp of it all.

Grade - A-

Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:00 pm
htm

Excellent, excellent film.

A

Oh, snap.

Galia liked it. This means I'm in for a treat.

....and, accordingly, Lecter will be disappointed and give it a B. :tongue:

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next