Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Syriana 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 9 ]
B 39%  39%  [ 14 ]
C 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 36

Syriana 
Sbil

Post Syriana
Syriana

Quote:
Syriana is a 2005 geopolitical thriller film written and directed by Stephen Gaghan, and executive produced by George Clooney, who also stars in the film with an ensemble cast. Gaghan's screenplay is loosely adapted from Robert Baer's memoir See No Evil. The film focuses on petroleum politics, and the global influence of the oil industry, whose political, economic, legal, and social effects are experienced by a Central Intelligence Agency operative (George Clooney), an energy analyst (Matt Damon), a Washington attorney (Jeffrey Wright), and a young unemployed Pakistani migrant worker (Mazhar Munir) in an Arab country in the Persian Gulf. The film also features an extensive supporting cast including Amanda Peet, Tim Blake Nelson, and Christopher Plummer, as well as Academy Award winners Chris Cooper , William Hurt with Alexander Siddig and Amr Waked.

As with Gaghan's screenplay for Traffic, Syriana uses multiple, parallel storylines, jumping from locations in Iran, Texas, Washington D.C., Switzerland, Spain, and Lebanon.

Clooney won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role as Agent Bob Barnes, and Gaghan's script was nominated by the Academy for Best Original Screenplay. As of April 20, 2006, the film grossed a total of $50.82 million in the U.S. box office and $42.9 million in the rest of the world, for a total of $93.73 million.

Last edited by Libs on Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:13 pm
htm

The first of three new movies this weekend, I went into Syriana with very high expectations- the advertising, the superb casting, and the amazing performance in limited release mainly the reason why. I wasn't surprised to see Stephen Soderberg had his hand in this one when the credits rolled, because Syriana really feels like the "Traffic" of the middle east. Unfortunately, it isn't quite as good and becomes overly complex for it's own good. Syriana is a perfect example of a film where a very detailed, tricky story can become utterly confusing and ultimately useless. Great actors ranging from Clooney to Plummer to Hurt to Siddig and many, many more all seem overshadowed, as if they are never given the chance to shine. Character arcs are mostly revolved at the end, but not to a satisfactory amount. In particular, I wasn't found of the rather cliqued end of Damon's arc. In general, Syriana also has numerous pacing issues. Like I mentioned before, the movie tends to loose itself in the details. From absolutely useless factoids to over descriptiveness, director S. Gagen sure tries to loose the viewer - and stretch out the storyline. The script materials feels stretched, and sizable amount of scenes and even character arcs come off as dragging. However, I must say I was thrilled come the final act of the story. Seeing the story finally come to a close, with a twist or two, was satisfying. I particularly enjoyed the central storyline surrounding Siddig's character as the prince. Alexander Siddig, since his days on Deep Space Nine, has always been one of my very favorite actors, and he adds a wonderful touch to the movie giving a moving performance as a man trying desperately to change the disposition of his people. If any award nominations are given to Syriana, they ought to be for Siddig and his work with Clooney and Damon.

Ultimately, Syriana is a solid, but forgettable thriller. It joins the ranks of this years disappointing entries like The Interpreter, except this time it suffered from an overblown, overcomplicated storyline. I would cautiously recommend Syriana, but only for those looking and loving of movies in the vain of Traffic. I'd give it a C+ overall.

Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:54 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I'll write a review when more people have seen it. I had no problems following the story. I think Clooney has the Best Supporting Actor locked up. The torture scene is brutal.

B+

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:11 am
htm

I'll write a review when more people have seen it. I had no problems following the story. I think Clooney has the Best Supporting Actor locked up. The torture scene is brutal.

B+

While the story is traceable, I found it difficult to focus on pretty much anything. The constant tossing around of useless little details in the "American" scenes made it a challenge to focus on the "meat" of the film, as well as the subtlties of the performances - something I really enjoy.

As for Clooney, I found his performance rather unmoving. He'll probably earn a nomination, but I don't endorse nor agree that it was anything deserving of BSA. Like I mentioned above, I found so much more depth in Siddig's character. Clooney's character, like so many others, seemed rather 2D. What little characterization there was seemed either cliqued or too ambigious. What, exactly, was his character trying to prove? Was he a loose cannon or a loyalist? If anything, he's the only character I can't figuire out. His work in the torture scene is admirable and extremely tense, and I did enjoy the very last scene he was in. Again, the subtleties of the performance - his stance and expression seemed so perfect. In fact, I think that scene, even if it doesn't have dialouge, might best character the person Clooney was trying to portray. I'll have to sleep on it.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:27 am
Christian's #1 Fan

That's really my best reaction to the film. On one hand the acting was great and the casting brilliant. On the other hand the story was insanely difficult to follow, poorly built up and rather uninspiring overall. The writing was decent but the pacing was tepid at best.

B-

Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:42 pm
Extraordinary

Smart execusion and acting all the way around, but one can't help reflect on the underlying theme. The West manipulates Middle Eastern oil production in very Machivellian ways; starving poor locals get left out of the discussion and find a way to force themselves back into it. Not all too complex a model, and the split between the elder Emir's (ex?) desire to be a wonderful leader, and his completely corrupt counterpart younger brother is too clean. Syrianan does not explore a topic so much as explains it, but it luckily avoids the condescending line of trying to explain its own question instead turning into a decent film that says "This is how it is, what do you think?"

Choppy yet rythmic, there are a few too convenient moments, and too many vignettes aren't assigned proper attention and timing. But the general flow still sustained me enough, and even provided moments of suspense. Had the technical strengths not cloaked such a mundane (perhaps necessary however?) storyline, Syriana would have been a much stronger movie. As it stands, its a B-.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:26 pm
htm

Did you like Alexander Siddig's performance as the elder Emir? I thought he did a really fine, even moving job. His character seemed rather well written and not quite as muddled as the Clooney character, which felt rather malnourished. With some much going on, I would have appreciate a bit more time to flesh out the American characters. Then Syriana would have been a fine film, even with a bit of a mundane script.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:37 pm
Sbil

Syriana is arguably the most ambitious film of 2005 to date, and manages to send its message across with a large degree of success. Political corruption and global interaction (mainly through oil, the main factor of the film) are shown with a bleak, cynical lens that is unfortunately both understandable and accurate in today's world. Watching this film is a near exhausting experience because the film requires 100% attention paid to it at all times, or the viewer will quickly get lost and lose track of what's happening on screen. The acting from all involved, including George Clooney, Matt Damon, Jeffrey Wright and Alexander Siddig, is strong. Other notable actors fill up roles that are smaller but not necessarily less instrumental, including Chris Cooper, Amanda Peet, Christopher Plummer and William Hurt. Although this film will clearly divide those with different views on the situations presented in this film, it should be clear to almost everyone who sees it that this is a motion picture that asks/demands the viewer to debate and analyze what the movie presents. This is one of the best films of the year. A-

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:50 pm
Extraordinary

Jeff, Galia;

Did you like Alexander Siddig's performance as the elder Emir? I thought he did a really fine, even moving job. His character seemed rather well written and not quite as muddled as the Clooney character, which felt rather malnourished. With some much going on, I would have appreciate a bit more time to flesh out the American characters. Then Syriana would have been a fine film, even with a bit of a mundane script.

He did a great job, as did all the actors, but I foung his characterization a bit over the top. "I want to be good to women, the economy, I'm going to save Iran, I love my people and will help bring about 100% "good" reform. But my brother is evil, corrupt, dumb, and has not one of these ideals in mind." Eh, it was a bit easy, one would say. As to Siddig, he will be in a few more movies soon I bet, he did a good job.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:54 pm
htm

lennier wrote:
Jeff, Galia;

He did a great job, as did all the actors, but I foung his characterization a bit over the top. "I want to be good to women, the economy, I'm going to save Iran, I love my people and will help bring about 100% "good" reform. But my brother is evil, corrupt, dumb, and has not one of these ideals in mind." Eh, it was a bit easy, one would say. As to Siddig, he will be in a few more movies soon I bet, he did a good job.

I agree on his characterization; it seems like - as with the other characters - the writers opted to go for a black and white, good vs. evil sort of aspect, instead of fleshing them out as lying having a few shades of grey.... (I hope that makes sense? yawn)

Siddig himself is becoming more mainstream. He was in Kingdom of Heaven earlier this year and I remember hearing good things about his work. I', happy to see him sort of breakout. Like I said, he's one of the most memorable performers to come out of modern Trek.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:13 am
Christian's #1 Fan

I actually thought all of the performances were very strong. My biggest issue was the writing was just too unclear. There was just too much going on and as such I didn't feel connected to any of the characters in the end. I would have rather had some of the stories cut out to allow for more development of the stronger storylines.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:48 am
Veteran

The movie rings very true. I liked the parallel storylines depicting the lives of the oil people, CIA and the recruits for madrasses. The ending is exactly what I would expect from a well researched and well made movie. People with little or no knowledge of the happenings of that area may find it confusing. The only complaint is that the movie lacks a true dramatic punch.

B+

Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:28 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Unfortunately a misfire for me. The convoluted story lacked focus and was never emotionally involving, and the pace dragged. Also the characters feel standard and lack dimension. The actings are good, but nothing that I didn't expect out of those actors.

C

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:39 am
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Syriana is arguably the most ambitious film of 2005 to date, and manages to send its message across with a large degree of success. Political corruption and global interaction (mainly through oil, the main factor of the film) are shown with a bleak, cynical lens that is unfortunately both understandable and accurate in today's world. Watching this film is a near exhausting experience because the film requires 100% attention paid to it at all times, or the viewer will quickly get lost and lose track of what's happening on screen. The acting from all involved, including George Clooney, Matt Damon, Jeffrey Wright and Alexander Siddig, is strong. Other notable actors fill up roles that are smaller but not necessarily less instrumental, including Chris Cooper, Amanda Peet, Christopher Plummer and William Hurt. Although this film will clearly divide those with different views on the situations presented in this film, it should be clear to almost everyone who sees it that this is a motion picture that asks/demands the viewer to debate and analyze what the movie presents. This is one of the best films of the year. A-

It doesn't surprise me that you liked it a lot given your love for Traffic. I agree about having to really stay focused 100%. If your mind drifts, you're lost. I caught pretty much everything, but I'd still like to see it again.

I think you should have to write one of these brief reviews for Walk the Line before Zingy writes his full review. :whistle:

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:08 pm
Killing With Kindness

A-

Outstanding watch, would have given it a better grade if not for the sleep inducing start. Great acting all around, thought Clooney had the best performance or the bunch. I liked the story, and the ending was perfect for the film. Overall fantastic watch but I would wait till DVD to see it again.

Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:28 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

While I can certainly understand this type of storytelling, and appreciate how it is suited to a complex political story such as Syriana, I nonetheless cannot say I fully enjoy it. (Though it definitely worked better than it did in the over rated Traffic...)

I did find it a very convincing representation of the political gamesmanship and patriotism to the dollar that surely exists in this corruption-ridden world we live in, and that in itself is an excellent reason to pay attention to this film. Plus, the performances were excellent all around, though perhaps the oil execs bordered on parody.

4 out of 5.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:03 am
Kypade

For the record, you're all insane. And by all I mean lennier, xiayun, dolce and jeff.

Syriana is fantastic.

The end.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:58 pm
htm

For the record, you're all insane. And by all I mean lennier, xiayun, dolce and jeff.

Syriana is fantastic.

The end.

Boo. Syriana was driven by a beautiful idea and told the story of such a prominent part of the world like never before... and yet the execution was pretty mediocre. I'm still crying in disappointment over this one. Meh movie.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:01 pm
You must have big rats

Seriously, last year had way too many politically-themed movies, heh.

Arguably, Syriana is the most ambitious project of all the politically-themed films I have seen recently and sadly it only succeeds in parts. It reaches out for way too much, it tries to bring in every single aspect of the effects that the oil industry has on different people and that is simply too much to competently put into one film.

I didn't really find the storylines hard to follow, except towards the end, especially the Jeffrey Wright storyline which I personally found to be the most unnecessary one (in particular with his unemployed father brought into it). I think it didn't add anything relevant to the story and should have been skipped altogether for pacing issues.

The first hour of the movie is excellent and had my hopes well-up, but after that, up until the final five minutes (which are great) it goes rapidly downhill as the story becomes too convulted for its own good and tries to pack in way too many details. I think the message of the film is important and very clear, but I did have problems with the execution, like I did with Traffic. I grade this one higher than Traffic because this one deals with a far more touchy and dangerous issue than Traffic did and I actually found more storylines interesting in this one.

The cast is pretty good, but the only outstanding performance in the movie is Alexander Siddig's as Prince Nasir. I didn't feel that Clooney deserved his nomination really (neither did Hurt and Giamatti, it was a weak year for Best Sup. Actor at the Oscars, in my opinion). He was good, but not outstanding. Siddig's character was more interesting and simply better played.

As it is, Syriana stands as an ambitious half-successful effort that I would still recommend to anyone simply because of the topics it deals with. It has pacing issues, some unneeded details but on the whole this is a kind of the movie that has to be seen because somehere deep down there in it, it takes on a truly relevant topic.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
htm

Totally agree about Siddig. He deserved the nom.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:46 pm
You must have big rats

Yup. I think we should see great things from him in the future.

And Syriana could have been so much more...with tighter editing and a more focused plot.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:48 pm
Profile WWW
htm

lennier wrote:

And Syriana could have been so much more...with tighter editing and a more focused plot.

In the future? Look to the past and see seven years of Deep Space 9 and roles in movies like Kingdom of Heaven. He's been around. but always underutilized.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:58 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
lennier wrote:

In the future? Look to the past and see seven years of Deep Space 9 and roles in movies like Kingdom of Heaven. He's been around. but always underutilized.

Star Trek is for :nerd: !

:D

Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Loved it. One of the better films last year. A-

Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:43 am
Profile WWW
htm

lennier wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
lennier wrote:

Star Trek is for :nerd: !

:D

I am quite the character, thank you very much. No nerdiness here. Especially not in math. :wacko:

:shades:

Oh, and thinking back on this flick I've decided to up my grade to a B-. I'm having fond(er) memories.

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next