Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Roman Holiday 

What grade would you give this film?
A 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Roman Holiday 
College Boy Z

Post Roman Holiday
Roman Holiday

Quote:
Roman Holiday is a 1953 romantic comedy directed and produced by William Wyler and starring Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn. It was written by John Dighton and Dalton Trumbo, though with Trumbo on the Hollywood blacklist, he did not receive a credit; instead, Ian McLellan Hunter fronted for him. Trumbo's credit was reinstated when the film was released on DVD in 2003.

Hepburn won an Academy Award for Best Actress for her performance; the screenplay and costume design also took statuettes.

In the 1970s, both Peck and Hepburn were approached with the idea of a sequel, but the project never came to fruition. The film was remade for television in 1987 with Tom Conti and Catherine Oxenberg, who herself came from a European royal family.

Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:42 am
Kypade

This is only about half over right now, but it's currently one of the very best of the 50's. It's funny, incredibly charismatic, and the acting is natural as Hepburn is beautiful. I'm really loving it.

Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:52 am
Extraordinary

First rate rom-com - Audrey is super cute, with able support by Peck and a young Eddie Albert...

A classic.

Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:56 am
Team Kris

Wonderful, wonderful movie. Gives me a smile after watching it.

Over and beyond A.

Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:58 am
Veteran

Liked it, but didn't love it. Hepburn was a cutie though. B.

Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:07 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

My first Hepburn movie, and oh my, what a smile. Sweet beyond words and possess the majestic feel for being Your Highness at the same time.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

It's.......OKAY. The second half is much more delightful than the first.

Far from being one of my favorites.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:57 pm
Star Trek XI

Good one I caught it sometime last year and enjoyed at. I will end up renting it to show to the wife, I think she will like it. Hepburn is fun to watch and her chemistry with Peck worked well in this film.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:01 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

At last, I could catch up on a movie that I can without a doubt call "truly magnificent". I have yet to see From Here to Eternity, but it's hard for me to believe that it'll be a better picture and more deserving of the Best Picture Oscar than Roman Holiday was. The movie manages to be a lightweight romance and a great coming-of-age tale at the same time. Its ending is really rather unconventional for this type of a film and it made me like it even more.

What makes the movie stand out above all, is Audrey Hepburn's irresistably charming performance as the innocent, charming and "sophisticated" Princess Ann. She plays the role with such energy, charm and vulnerability that it's simply impossible to imagine anyone else in her part. Gregory Peck does his job very well too and he has great chemistry with Hepburn. It is really unbelieveable, though, how much she can stand her own during the scenes with Peck. Their scenes together are great, sprakling with wit and romance. Eddie Albert rounds off the cast, as he adds the comic relief here with some pretty funny scenes. The essence of the movie, however, is the change that Hepburn's character undergoes and that she is a different person by the end of the film, though in the same circumstances again. It's thanks to Hepburn's impeccable acting that this change comes across very naturally.

It's a great movie, very enjoyable to watch, it's funny, romantic and, at times, also quite emotional. A must-see to all film fans!

Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:09 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Roman Holiday
Given the reviews here (outside of kypade's) I'm second guessing watching it. hmm... what to do...

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:00 pm
Pure Phase

Summertime is better, but this is a very charming and poignant film.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Magnus wrote:
Michael A wrote:
Given the reviews here (outside of kypade's) I'm second guessing watching it. hmm... what to do...

8 reviews total. 6 positive (and pretty strong positives), 2 mixed. Why are you second guessing again?

Oh, and it is a delightful film and one of my favorite Audrey's. So make that 7 positives.

It is not the review that matters, but the reviewer.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:30 am
loyalfromlondon

Well, his hands are not impaired.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:52 am
loyalfromlondon

I can't imagine yoshue's cock is that much to handle.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:31 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Child's play:

Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:04 pm
Profile WWW

It's not so much yoshue's negative reaction as Lecter's, Bradley's, and xiayun's (good poster but we have different taste in movies) positive reactions that deter me.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:13 pm
Z

Magnus wants you to have his lollipop as well, Marin.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Z

Magnus wrote:
please. I have some standards.

It is funny how you failed to notice that all you wanted to say is in the tone, not in the words.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:27 pm
Profile WWW

I would need to watch it again as we were talking and not focuing on the movie much, but it seemed fine but far from great. A very standard conventional plotline that was essentially detailed within five minutes, but charming enough with very convincing acting from both leads and a cute if not clever or great script. I really liked the ending which was about the only unconventional aspect of the movie. Probably worth checking out again on a rainy day and watching more closely, but I can say with certainty I don't think it's near one of the best films of the 50s.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]