Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Dekalog [The Decalogue] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Dekalog [The Decalogue] 
College Boy Z

Post Dekalog [The Decalogue]
The Decalogue

Quote:
The Decalogue (Polish: Dekalog) is a 1989 Polish television drama series directed by Krzysztof Kieślowski and co-written by Kieślowski with Krzysztof Piesiewicz, with music by Zbigniew Preisner. It consists of ten one-hour films, each of which represents one of the Ten Commandments (according to their Roman Catholic division) and explores possible meanings of the commandment—often ambiguous or contradictory—within a fictional story set in modern Poland. The series is Kieślowski's most acclaimed work and has won numerous international awards, though it was not widely released outside Europe until the late 1990s. Filmmaker Stanley Kubrick wrote an admiring foreword to the published screenplay in 1991.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:53 pm
Extraordinary

There's a reason Kieslowski completed his Declogue series and then chose not to release them. They're not up to par with the rest of his work. I only saw three of the six "commandments" and admittedly was too dissappointed to watch the rest of them.

He uses his typical ambiguous and circular style, only unlike this Color trilogy and Double Life, he hits viewers over the head with his "this is a probing of morality" messgae. No longer to the vaguely deja vu scenes have to do with existentialism, now they just have to do with the downfall of man through his/her own weakness. I found the vignette style to be too short for Kieslwoski to really get going, and so the episodes felt monotonous rather than rich with texture and imagery. He got too comfortable with his style, and the struggle to use it towards a greater means is lost.

Clearly still the culmination of intense effort, style, and sound, more than anything he was probably just dissappointed in his own work. Released after his death, I can only hope people give his other work the attention it deserves, and not jump to conclusions on his vision based on these predicatable yet much revered works alone.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:35 am
Forum General

I haven't seen either, but I'm interested in both this and the Color trilogy.

I'm assuming I should start with the Colors...

Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]