Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A.I. Artificial Intelligence 

What grade would you give this film?
A 78%  78%  [ 18 ]
B 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23

College Boy Z

Post A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Quote:
A.I. Artificial Intelligence, also known as A.I., is a 2001 science fiction drama film directed, produced and co-written by Steven Spielberg. Based on Brian Aldiss' short story "Super-Toys Last All Summer Long", the film stars Haley Joel Osment, Frances O'Connor, Jude Law, Sam Robards, Jake Thomas and William Hurt. Set sometime in the future, A.I. tells the story of David, a child-like android uniquely programmed with the ability to love.

Development of A.I. originally began with director Stanley Kubrick in the early 1970s. Kubrick hired a series of writers up until the mid-1990s, including Brian Aldiss, Bob Shaw, Ian Watson and Sara Maitland. The film languished in development hell for years, partly because Kubrick felt computer-generated imagery was not advanced enough to create the David character, whom he believed no child actor would believably portray. In 1995, Kubrick handed A.I. to Steven Spielberg, but the film did not gain momentum until Kubrick's death in 1999. Spielberg remained close to Watson's film treatment for the screenplay, and replicated Kubrick's secretive style of filmmaking. A.I. was greeted with mostly positive reviews from critics and became a financial success. This film was dedicated to Kubrick's memory after the end credits, saying "For Stanley Kubrick".

Spielberg's worst, easily.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:19 pm
Superman: The Movie

It's one of Spielberg's most thought provoking films, but it goes on a little to long. Still, I'd give it an A.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:28 pm
Lord of filth

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:02 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

An amazing and absolutely brilliant film. The acting is excellent and the story very well crafted. The ending was a bit over-dramatic but extremely emotional.

A+, #20 on my all-time list

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:08 am
Extraordinary

A great thought-provoking film, and the technical aspect is incredibly strong. A-.

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:11 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

The mighty Berg's third best movie in my estimation (behind Schindler's List and Close Encounters) and I loved every damn thing about it. Completely unique in his catalogue, it is distant and haunting and yet so warm and personal. I had no problems feeling sympathy for Osment's mecha early on, as he is given Teddy as a companion once the son is awakened from his coma. The harsh farewell that follows at the hands of his 'mommy' is devastating. The post-apocalyptic world that he wanders into is fantastically realized through the tremendous cgi, set design, music and cinematography.

David meets Gigolo Joe (Jude Law in probably his best performance) and goes off in search of the Blue Fairy, a quest that leads to one of the most magical scenes in any movie that I've seen, a majestical dive into a submerged New York. When the ferris wheel came down on David's submersible, I truly thought that that was the end of the movie, but the greatest was yet to come. AI takes a lot of shit over its ending, but I think it's completely fascinating and adds a whole new layer of thought to the film. I've seen the movie 5 times and I never fail to generate some watery eyes when Teddy walks in.

And yeah, by the way, Teddy has to be one of my favourite characters to appear in any movie.......EVER. His fall from the basket and run up the hillside is one of those scenes that make you want to laugh and cry at the same time. It's sooo epic.

A+ (just outside my top 10 of all time)

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:29 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I loved it, I don't understand the hate.

You'd think the exact opposite looking at this thread.

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:31 am
htm

Libs wrote:
I loved it, I don't understand the hate.

You'd think the exact opposite looking at this thread.

It's apparent that the casual movie-going crowd didn't embrace A.I.

It's a superb picture, too. The visuals are breathtaking, the acting incredible, and the story intriguing. I would certainly award it an A/A-. One of the most misunderstood films in recent memory...

Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:26 am
je vois l'avenir

Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:21 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I absolutely love this movie. This is easily one of my all-time favorite films. There are many excellent performances (Haley Joel Osment, Jude Law, Frances O'Connor), wonderful dialogue, beautiful cinematography, with a haunting musical score by John Williams. The technical aspects are all astounding. One of the most emotional movies I have ever seen. A

Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:49 pm
Team Kris

Jude Law gave the best non-Oscar nominated performance as Gigolo Joe.

It's a very polarizing film, and I am on the "love" camp.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:29 pm
George A. Romero

above average, with great special effects

B

Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:37 pm
Extraordinary

I so wish Kubrick was alive to make this movie, he could've made it something special I think. Not trying to take away from Spielberg but I think the movie needed more of a twisted mind like Kubrick to make this film truely special, it had ALOT of potential, but fell very short imo.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:47 pm
Team Kris

I so wish Kubrick was alive to make this movie, he could've made it something special I think. Not trying to take away from Spielberg but I think the movie needed more of a twisted mind like Kubrick to make this film truely special, it had ALOT of potential, but fell very short imo.

This was Kubrick's brainchild, no?

Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:48 pm
George A. Romero

yes, i would have loved to see what kubrick could have done.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:48 pm
Extraordinary

Killuminati510 wrote:

This was Kubrick's brainchild, no?

Si'

Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:14 am
We had our time together

When I first saw it in theaters with friends I was blown away by it. On DVD it lost some of it's 'magic' but it was still great. Only thing that bothers me is Kingsleys off-voice at the ending. I thought that wasn't needed. A-

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:27 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

You know, reading this thread yxou'd never realize how much the movie was originally disliked and how bad of WoM it got during its initial release. I, for one, am certainly in the hate-camp and I will easily claim that A.I. is Spielberg's worst, by far (at least of those I have seen). It is an ambitious project, I give him that, but in the hands of Kubrick it'd have been much better off. Don't get me wrong, I prefer Spielberg over Kubrick as a director, but this movie WAS Kubrick's and it felt like a Kubrick movie in which something went wrong. I can tell you when it all went wrong. In the final 30 minutes or so, especially in the ghastly and awful ending, taking place 2000 years into the future.

Not that everything about this movie is bad, it's just that it bears a lot of unfulfilled potential and that is sad. Visually the movie is a feast. In its year, it had by far the best visual effects of any movie released, surpassing those of FOTR and Pearl Harbor. The imagery of the abandoned and flooded New York City is breathtaking as are the robots designs. Very masterful cinematography, effects and make-up all-around. Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law are expectedly solid, but can't save the movie. The storyline is pretty good, up until their quest to New York when it all goes downhill big time. By the time David was trapped underwater, I was already nodding off. Spielberg lost any sense of pacing in this one, it seems.

And don't get me started about that terrible, terrbile ending.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:26 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I really did think most people hated this movie.

Guess not.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:54 pm
You must have big rats

Every single one of my friends here (except for one or two) thinks it was bad. I guess I thought bad legs and an okay-ish rating at IMDB (6.8) would reflect rather mixed WoM at best.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

I really did think most people hated this movie.

Guess not.

It was in my top five that year.

It's a very love-hate movie.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:05 pm
You must have big rats

Hmmm, true, it is very much a love/hate movie. I loved it up until the ending and hated the rest. Up until the quest to NYC, I'd give it a B+/A-, for the rest probably a D-/F.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

:smile:

Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:02 pm
Teh Mexican

great movie, i dont think its one of Spielbergs best, but still very good!

B+

Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next