Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 The Fog (2005) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

The Fog (2005) 
Sbil

Post The Fog (2005)
The Fog

Quote:
The Fog is a 2005 horror film directed by Rupert Wainwright. It is a remake of John Carpenter's 1980 film of the same name, but this time made more in the vein of a "teen horror film" (it was rated PG-13 whereas the original film was rated R).
Both Carpenter and Debra Hill (who co-wrote the original film with Carpenter and produced it) were producers of this version.

Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:58 pm
College Boy Z

The Fog is your typical, teen "not-quite-horror" horror movie with no great leads or performances, the token, scared black guy, girls walking around half naked through 80% of the film, and teen-party-leading-to-death moments. The movie never reaches the level of scary or even creepy, similar to the original. Both movies are just more fun to watch than anything. I didn't mind seeing Maggie Grace on the screen for 100 minutes (hot, steamy shower scene, much?). She wasn't that bad. Well, not nearly as bad as Selma Blair, who played Stevie Wayne, the radio talkshow host. Tom Welling was flat-out boring to watch, as usual. Obviously, it's a much better movie to look at in comparison to John Carpenter's version, but it's not 'technically' better. Lots of stupid moments added to this one, but were expected. It was predictable, but totally fun. What more could I ask for? B

Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:58 am
---------

Wow... nothing in this movie made sense. It would have been cool if they had used the fog as an elemental type thing, but it really wasn't about the fog. Think of the movie as The Birds, except the fog attacks people. A lady comes into town and bad things happen. Randomly. I guess in The Birds, it was never explained why the birds attacked, but it was still good. This wasn't. Very weird deaths and unexplainable occurences.

I only jumped once in the movie. The makers did not know how to make a scene feel creepy. Little things can be much scarier than a big scare.

Only go to this movie if you're going to make fun of it.

I did appreciate though how the movie resisting using any bad language, compared to today's movies. There was only one uncomfortable scene in the movie, but it was forgettable.

Grade: C- (Very low grade in my scale)

Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:47 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

What a terrible movie. Not the worst "horror" film of the year, a toss-up between House of Wax and The Devil's Rejects. It certainly isn't good in any way though. The acting is terrible, the special effects mediocre, the music generic and the writing is simply terrible. The climax is actually somewhat interesting but the film flounders so much before that part that it nullifies any positivity of it.

D+

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:20 am
Veteran

What a terrible movie. Not the worst "horror" film of the year, a toss-up between House of Wax and The Devil's Rejects. It certainly isn't good in any way though. The acting is terrible, the special effects mediocre, the music generic and the writing is simply terrible. The climax is actually somewhat interesting but the film flounders so much before that part that it nullifies any positivity of it.

D+

At least it is not a complete failure. ;)

Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:28 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Ugh. Everything that's wrong with most horror movies these days. Congratulations, The Fog -- you're right up there with Boogeyman as the worst horror film of the year. Thanks, Sony!

D

Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:53 pm
College Boy Z

Ugh. Everything that's wrong with most horror movies these days. Congratulations, The Fog -- you're right up there with Boogeyman as the worst horror film of the year. Thanks, Sony!

D

What happened to, "I'll dodge The Fog like a plague unless I see an advance screening?" ;)

Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:09 pm
Extraordinary

What can I say? Curiosity killed the cat. It's the only film of the year I seriously considered walking out on. It's just... abysmal.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:20 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

RogueCommander wrote:

D+

At least it is not a complete failure. ;)

Yeah, I guess so. They really weren't anything special, but they were decent.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:30 pm
Indiana Jones IV

My review (as it appears in my high school newspaper):

The Fog is the latest example in the recent phenomenon of inane and boring PG-13 rated horror films- a colossal failure by all involved in terms of its artistic merits. The film is simply terrible across the board. In fact the cast and crew failed so magnificently we can now laugh at their expense at the hilariously bad movie they have created. Inadvertently they have created great comedy.

The film is set in the present in the quaint seaside town of Antonio Bay. A hundred years earlier a boat sunk under mysterious circumstances off the coast. An extremely thick fog rolls in, engulfing the town, bringing the ghosts of the long-dead crew to exact their revenge on the residents of the community. Small-screen stars Tom Welling (Smallville) and Maggie Grace (Lost) are two lovers who get caught in the (amusing to us) madness around them.

I saw this film with a group of friends and we were dying with laughter and making fun of many scenes throughout the movie. (“I’m feeling slightly damp” was one of the many comments made that night). It is that bad. The actors have zero chemistry together (there’s even a token black character in this movie doing token black things). It’s astounding to see the utter vapidity of the acting in this film.

Many scenes do not make sense. There is a scene where an old man pulls himself into the sea for no apparent reason using a mysterious, giant rope that is the most unintentionally funny scene of the year. We are still laughing about this scene when we meet. The ultimate crime is that the film is not at all scary.

It doesn’t help that the fog is entirely created by cheap-looking CGI either. The crew of this film apparently didn’t know about the effectiveness of fog machines in creating creepy-looking fog. The fog is just wussy, cheap-looking, and generates no horror at all.

Save your money and steer clear of The Fog, kids. You’ll be glad you did. ;)

D

Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:28 pm
Where will you be?

The Fog... wow. At first it started off like a pretty decent, kinda dumb horror movie. But then it took a GREAT turn. As the movie progressed, it steadily grew more and more ridiculous. However, it only became apparent just how incredibly silly The Fog was when one of the funniest scenes of the year occured. An old, possibly senile lady is washing dishes, when suddenly a fleshy hand pops out of the drain and grabs her by the wrist. Oh yeah, and keep in mind that 95% of the time the ghosts in the movie were the floaty, intangible sort. So all of a sudden her hands start to get black and gross, and it quickly spreads to the rest of her until she loks like a monster from the Mummy movies. Then she drops on the floor, steaming and thoroughly melted. Moments later the precocious kid of the movie walks in to find her gooey-ified, and what does he do? He calmly jogs to his room, then uses TAPE to make the room air tight so the ghosts can't get in! Of course, they finally do, but just as that happens Tom Welling comes to save him, the ghost decides it would rather screech at them instead of killing them, and they drive off and run into a floaty ghost, which splatters (!) on the windshield. By the end of this I was crying from laughter. And trust me, it only got better from there. By the end, it approached Alone in the Dark for being a trashy, insanely goofy "so bad it's good" trip. It would probably be a D, but it's way too entertaining for me to give it any worse then a C. I suggest getting trashed, maybe smoking a joint, and then laughing your ass off as people spontaneously combust and the film tries to have the big twist be that SPOILERS (if you really care) the ghosts were just looking for LOVE, not revenge! SERIOUSLY! END SPOILERS C

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:33 am
College Boy Z

Hah. I told you that you wouldn't like it, MovieDude.

:shades:

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:22 am
Where will you be?

Hah. I told you that you wouldn't like it, MovieDude.

:shades:

Dude, I loved it in all it's awesomely bad glory. :lol:

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:55 pm
Teh Mexican

Well that sucked, I found it to be very boring, dumb, stupid and that ending was pretty much horrible. The FX were cool

D+

Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:24 pm
---------

That scene with the crispy Grandma was hilarious. Also that the fog couldn't get through tape that the kid had blocked his room with.

Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:38 pm
Superman: The Movie

The put it midly, this remake takes a gigantic shit on the original. Why Debra Hill and John Carpenter were attached to this as producers is beyond me. Actually, as I am writing this I am watching a documentary on how they went about remaking the film. The fact that Carpenter was intensely involved is troublesome. It scares me even more that he liked The Ring and The Grudge, but that's another thing.

I get that he wanted to try something different, but some things are just better left alone. The first film was all about atmosphere and not about the scares or the gore effects. Here, it's all about the scares and the gore and the film fails miserably at both.

The big thing that the film gets wrong though is the entire backstory featuring the ghosts who were killed on the ship. First of all, they're barely mentioned in the first one as to why they attack. That was a good thing, because if there was any backstory it would be ridiculous. They're there to kill and outside of that who cares? Second of all, the ghosts themselves are not scary. They look like they were taken directly out of the Disney ride The Haunted Mansion. They're supposed to be creepy and not funny.

SPOILERS (I'm not going to text because I'm lazy)

Third. All of those ghosts come back to kill just to get revenge on the decendants to who live on the island today, and to take back Elizabeth? See, this is what I was referring to up above. The first one wasn't plot driven. Did I mention that was a good thing, because this whole new thing about sacraficing Elizabeth is just plain stupid. The original Elizabeth played by Jamie Lee Curtis was just a random hitchhiker who got caught up in the whole thing. Simple plot elements are usually better, and it applies here as well.

Fourth. The way the fog kills is to just light people on fire and burn them to rubble? What happened to good old fashion impailing? The way the people just burst into flames and get charred to a crisp in this film is completely cheesy and just plain funny. It's not one bit scary.

Fifth and lastly, I find it amazing that the 1980 picture outdoes the remake in terms of special effects. Once again, the simple route is usually the best, and it applies here as well. For instance, the way the priest is killed at the end of the film by the floating pieces of glass is horribly done. They just float there, and only three of four pieces actually hit him. And then there is the fog itself. There are a couple of scenes where the filmmakers could've just used a smoke machine to do the trick, but for some reason they decided to use an obvious CGI replacement. Why? You can tell the difference between the two, and there is a big one, and it just takes you out of the moment.

The only thing that the film does correctly is the casting of Selma Blair in the role Adrienne Barbeau played in the original. When I think of Barbeau, Blair doesn't even come close to the first name that pops in my mind (For obvious reasons), but here she plays her character with a backhanded sarcasam. If the film was actually good, it probably wouldn't have fit in as well because it's campy, but it works here and is the only bright spot of the film.

With the exception of Selma Blair, this film is a piece of shit.

[font=arial]D-[/font]

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:16 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

That was a pretty mediocre movie. It wasn't as bad as it could have been. I still think that Darkness Falls, for instance, is worse than this one. But that doesn't say much anyway. I think last year was a decent, but not great year for horror movies. There was no horror masterpiece that I have seen as of yet (The Descent and Shutter were amazing, but they are not US-releases, so I don't count them, haven't seen Saw II yet). There were some really good horror flicks like The Amityville Horror remake and the underappreciated Dark Water remake. There there was some decent and entertaining horror fare like The Skeleton Key and House of Wax and some rather average stuff like The Devil's Rejects and Boogeyman. The Fog reamek, however, so far takes the cake as last year's worst horror film.

The original film, thanks to Carpenter's direction made the whole sitaution in the movie seem very creepy and genuinely created good atmosphere. In this one, the whole fog with killer pirates idea comes across as simply laughable. There are some good moments, every now and then, I don't deny that. But those are very few and very far inbetween. The original film is superior to the remake in every aspect. The acting in this one is decent as best. Selma Blair is okay, but she is completely wasted in the film anyway. Tom Welling and Maggie Grace are not given much to do anyway.

I did not feel bored throughout the movie and I suppose that's a good thing. But I almost never felt any suspense either. I did not care much for what was happening on screen. But that could have been tolerable if it wasn't for that RIDICULIUS ENDING! It really made me appreciate the original movie's ending that I wasn't too fond of originally. Now it appears like a masterpiece of an ending compared to the conclusion of this one.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:43 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Yep, it's shit. I didn't even catch the entire thing, because I was watching it at 5:00 in the morning and in all my days of all-nighters it's the one movie that actually put me 50% to sleep. I woke up later for the much more interesting Virgin though.

Yeah. Bad movie. Nothing more to it. One bright spot though, Selma Blair actually looks hot for the first time in her life.

Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:24 am
New Server, Same X

Post Re:
Shack wrote:
I woke up later for the much more interesting Virgin though.

Wow, someone's not secretive about their sex life!

*This "joke from the past" brought to you by the Arch Deluxe!*

Oh, and this movie was incredibly bad. I watched it in 35 minutes today.

D

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:13 pm
You must have big rats

Post Re: The Fog (2005)
I was too kind in my review back then.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:01 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]