Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Evelyn 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Evelyn 
College Boy Z

Post Evelyn
Evelyn

Quote:
Evelyn is a 2002 drama film, loosely based on the true story of Desmond Doyle and his fight against the Irish courts to be reunited with his children. The film stars Sophie Vavasseur in the title role, Pierce Brosnan as her father and Aidan Quinn, Julianna Margulies and Stephen Rea as supporters to Doyle's case. The film had a limited release in the United States, starting on December 13, 2002 and was later followed by the United Kingdom release on March 21, 2003.

The film was produced by, with others, Brosnan's own production company, Irish DreamTime. It opened to generally favourable reviews.

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:07 pm
Extraordinary

Well, being a recovering catholic, I went off dutifully to see what kind of shellacing they would give to the priests and nuns familiar to myself and the children of many generations who were educated/raised in their education system. The movie was quite a well done telling of true story from 1950's Ireland. It had an interesting style in it's hoaky, self-referential winks at the obviousness of symbolic devices in Irish films. And it's a real weepie, for those in the mood for a good cry. Quite good for what it presented itself to be, and Pierce Brosnan did a fine job as the Dad. If you're any kind of fan of sentimental melodramatic movies based on inspirational, true stories of underdogs struggling against the system, well -- go on then - get out of here and go see it now.

4 out of 5.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:41 am
You must have big rats

A nice little and flawed Irish-based drama with a decent Pierce Brosnan. It was well-made and well-acted (especially by the little girl). The courtroom scenes were well-staged and all...but it just didn't touch me in the way it should and really left me rather cold about the issue most of the time.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]