Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Greatest Game Ever Played 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Sbil

Post The Greatest Game Ever Played

Quote:
The Greatest Game Ever Played is a 2005 biographical sports film based on the early life of golf champion Francis Ouimet. The film was directed by Bill Paxton; Shia LaBeouf plays the role of Ouimet. It is distributed by Walt Disney Studios. The film's screenplay was adapted by Mark Frost from his book, The Greatest Game Ever Played: Harry Vardon, Francis Ouimet, and the Birth of Modern Golf. It was shot in Montreal, Quebec, with the Kanawaki Golf Club being the site of golf sequences.

Last edited by Libs on Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:06 pm
Extraordinary

Wow, a very good sports movie, and about golf, no less!

I mean, when was the last great golf movie? Tin Cup? Legend of Bagger Vance? I don't think so! No - you've got to go all the way back to 25 long years ago, and 1980's luminous Caddyshack to find a better golf movie. And before that? Believe it or not - another 29 years back in time to 1951's Follow the Sun. So rejoice golf movie fans - this is our season in the sun - another great golf movie has arrived at long last...

5 out of 5.

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:38 am
Golfaholic

A really great sports movie. It is refreshing to see a sports flick in which the opponent of our hero is not a villain, but a likeable guy. Paxton does a good job to show the class struggle and with a twinkle in his eyes, he shows only two people who really would qualify as gentlemen: our two golfing heroes, who both are from common breeding. The visual gimmickry is abit too much, but it does wonders to show an otherwise static sport as interesting. What amazed me even more is when I did a bit research, I found out that it was a pretty accurate portrayal of the 1913 U.S. open. They seem to have cheated with Vardon's playoff score (he shot a 77 instead of a 73 from what I found), but most of the details are correct, even the 10-yeard-old caddie. I really liked this film a lot. A-

Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:40 pm
Devil's Advocate

Disappointing. Just the same-old predictable Disney sports movie, it didn't really interest me throughout. I really do like golf as a sport, and The Legend of Bagger Vance is in my top 30(yes), but this just seemed so much lesser. And Shia Lebouf didn't really stand out like I wanted him to.

Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]