Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Exorcist 

What grade would you give this film?
A 55%  55%  [ 11 ]
B 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
C 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20

The Exorcist 
College Boy Z

Post The Exorcist
The Exorcist

Quote:
The Exorcist is a 1973 American horror film directed by William Friedkin, adapted from the 1971 novel of the same name by William Peter Blatty and based on the exorcism case of Robbie Mannheim, dealing with the demonic possession of a young girl and her mother’s desperate attempts to win back her daughter through an exorcism conducted by two priests. The film features Ellen Burstyn, Linda Blair, Max von Sydow, Kitty Winn, Lee J. Cobb, Jason Miller, and Mercedes McCambridge. The film is one of a cycle of 'demonic child' movies produced in the late 1960s and early 1970s, including Rosemary's Baby and The Omen.

The Exorcist was released theatrically in the United States by Warner Bros. on December 26, 1973. The film earned ten Academy Award nominations—winning two, one for Best Sound and Best Adapted Screenplay, and losing Best Picture to The Sting. It became one of highest earning movies of all time, grossing $441 million worldwide.

The film has had a huge effect on popular culture. It was named the scariest movie of all time by Entertainment Weekly and Movies.com and by viewers of AMC in 2006, and was #3 on Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments. The film was selected in 2010 to be preserved by the Library of Congress as part of its National Film Registry.

No one requested "the greatest horror film of all-time" until now?

Anyways, I find it to be the most overrated horror film of all-time, hands down. The plot, the score, and the great performances didn't make the film that much better for me, personally. Despite what people will say, I found it average at best. C+

Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:20 am
We had our time together

Have to agree with Zingaling. One of the most overrated movies of all time. Saw the director's cut in theaters which was amazingly boring and some of the 'scary' scenes were just funny. C

Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:17 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Riggs and Zingaling pretty much nailed it. Much like Riggs, I saw the Director's Cut of the movie which was advertised to be the scariest of all time in theatres and I found the movie to be simply mediocre. Since then, I rewatched it again, the original version and it didn't change my mind either. For me, it will never be a horror classic, not even a particulary good horror movie. The movie is well-acted and the score is classic of course, but other than that I have little positive to say about it.

For me it worked neither as a drama nor as a horror film. The supposed scary scenes were mostly laughable, just as Riggs has said. Now I don't always necessarily need scary scenes to like a horror film, but this one didn't even have any suspense scenes coming up. What is so shocking about a spinning head? Or about barfing soup? Sorry, but this is one of the most overrated movies ever and certainly the most overrated movie in the horror film fan community.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:37 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

I really dont find it scary at all anymore, but some might agree that its one of the BESt horror movie ever made, the story, the acting and the score was fantastic!!

i found the movie very interesting, that must be why i didnt find it boring at all, i dont know...

A/A+

its currently on my Top 20 of all time!

Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:09 pm
Extraordinary

Those 'C' ratings sure reflect the attention span of today's audiences. Studio execs are apparently right to pump out 80 minute flicks that scream "Gore! Gore! Gore! ...but for Christ's sake, make it PG-13!""

Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:49 pm
Forum General

I'd give it an A, I'd say it's 10x more effective than any slasher film I've seen.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:57 pm
Hot Fuss

One of the most disturbing, interesting films ever.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

A+

Those 'C' ratings sure reflect the attention span of today's audiences. Studio execs are apparently right to pump out 80 minute flicks that scream "Gore! Gore! Gore! ...but for Christ's sake, make it PG-13!""

I wonder what you say about baumer disliking it then. I for one, certainly can appreciate older horror films. I can mention both Evil Dead films (I found the first genuinely scary) or Nightmare on the Elm Street (very original) or even Rosemary's Baby as a well-made horror drama. Or The Omen (the first one). But this one was not a good movie. It says nothing about our attention span, I think.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Some people can't understand "shocking for the time".

Just like Jaws in 1975.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

But the thing is that I still love Jaws nowadays, so the "doesn't understand" argument obviously doesn't work here.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I realize what The Exorcist caused to people back in the 70's. I'm not completely ignorant...

Also, I can appreciate a good ol' horror film just as much as the next horror fan. A Nightmare on Elm Street and The Shining are two of my favorite horror films of all-time, though I found neither scary. I also liked the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre a lot.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:39 pm
Hot Fuss

But.. The Exorcist *isn't* a bad movie. I think it's a great character piece and it definately has a disturbing feel. The music, the setting.. they all work to make this fantastic.

In fact, behind Halloween, it's one of the only horror films I like.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

But.. The Exorcist *isn't* a bad movie. I think it's a great character piece and it definately has a disturbing feel. The music, the setting.. they all work to make this fantastic.

That makes sense then because I consider these two pretty much the most overrated horror movies ever, but still Halloween is superior to this piece of mediocrity.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I never said it wasn't a technically good movie, but I didn't like the film overall. It's a big dissapointment.

I don't see how we have no attention span because of not liking this film. It's not like I hate all movies pre-1990 or something...

Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:58 pm
Hot Fuss

I don't think you lack the attention span to "get" The Exorcist. And I'm not saying you are stupid, or you lack faith, etc.

The Exorcist works because of the fear in the eye's of the actors. They play their roles to perfection! Overall, I can't help but be moved and frightened by what's going on because they bring me *into* the story... if that makes any sense?

Technically, its a brilliant picture. The effects hold up to date and were definately revolutionary for the time. I guess I'm old fashioned :tongue:

Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Maximus wrote:

That makes sense then because I consider these two pretty much the most overrated horror movies ever, but still Halloween is superior to this piece of mediocrity.

That is what I was talking about above. You are stressing it as a horror movie. The horror aspects of these movies are dated.

Both the Exorcist and Jaws were considered horror movies in the 70's. They aren't seen that way anymore, now they are looked at more as if they are thrillers.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Not only the greatest horror film i have ever seen but one of the best films ever period,in my top 10(#6).

****/****

Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Quite disturbing but very powerful. I would agree that it is one of the best horror films of all-time. Great story, performances, and overall tone. I love the music, also.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:54 am
life begins now

Not as scary now as it was when I was a little kid, but it still is a great film.

B+/A-

Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:38 pm
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

Creeps the hell out of me. Put me in the love it camp as well.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:11 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: The Exorcist
Zingaling wrote:

Anyways, I find it to be the most overrated horror film of all-time, hands down. The plot, the score, and the great performances didn't make the film that much better for me, personally. Despite what people will say, I found it average at best. C+

Your how old?? 17?? Of course in a generation where horror movie's like this or any other horror movie for that matter is released every month and your bred on shi* like The GRUDGE or even more ridiculous movie's you rate even higher like The RING or it's bogus sequel, of course a teen in this day and age won't think that much of this movie and it's natural to feel this way.. However, like it or not, in 1974, the audience had never been exposed to movie's like this or TCM.. Back in the 70's, this was considered shocking and disturbing from a religious point of view in whether or not posession of one's body could exist.. I give The EXORCIST The highest grade possible of an "A+"..

Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:32 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

While it didn't scare me in the least bit, I think as a film this was probably a landmark event. I can see how the content from a religious standpoint would be extremely disturbing and how the film really was a fairly well made, if somewhat campy, film.

I'd give it a A-

Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:33 am
Mod Team Leader

A+

Wrong, I was born before almost everyone here and I despise this film. It is the most over rated film, and certainly one the most over rated horror films ever. It is terribly made, laughably acted and editted by a three year old. I thought Witchboard dealt with similiar themes and was 10X the film. Age has nothing to do with the apathy for this film, it's that after you get past all the religious hoopla it created, it really is a trite film.

C

Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:42 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

MIAMI_BKB wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

Your how old?? 17?? Of course in a generation where horror movie's like this or any other horror movie for that matter is released every month and your bred on shi* like The GRUDGE or even more ridiculous movie's you rate even higher like The RING or it's bogus sequel, of course a teen in this day and age won't think that much of this movie and it's natural to feel this way.. However, like it or not, in 1974, the audience had never been exposed to movie's like this or TCM.. Back in the 70's, this was considered shocking and disturbing from a religious point of view in whether or not posession of one's body could exist.. I give The EXORCIST The highest grade possible of an "A+"..

Then you are being hypocritical BKB. Because you say in one side of your mouth that films like JAWS don't hold up yet you say this one does? Wow, interesting. I think this film scared Catholics, like my wife, who is still scared to this day about the film. But take away the relgious fanatacism and you have a very very poorly made movie. And green soup does not make a good film.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:46 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

baumer72 wrote:
MIAMI_BKB wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

Then you are being hypocritical BKB. Because you say in one side of your mouth that films like JAWS don't hold up yet you say this one does? Wow, interesting. I think this film scared Catholics, like my wife, who is still scared to this day about the film. But take away the relgious fanatacism and you have a very very poorly made movie. And green soup does not make a good film.

I agree. BKB gives Nightmare on the Elm Street an F because "it was good back in the day, but sucks now", but still favors The Exorcist because of the effect it had 30 years ago.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next