Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Girl, Interrupted 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Girl, Interrupted 
College Boy Z

Post Girl, Interrupted
Girl, Interrupted

Quote:
Girl, Interrupted is a 1999 drama film about a teenager's 18-month stay at a mental institution, starring Winona Ryder, Brittany Murphy, Angelina Jolie, Whoopi Goldberg and Vanessa Redgrave, with Jolie winning an Academy Award for her performance.

The film is an adaption of author Susanna Kaysen's memoir. James Mangold directed, and he, Anna Hamilton Phelan, and Lisa Loomer wrote the screenplay.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:24 pm
You must have big rats

This movie is mostly the reason why Angelina Jolie is one of my three all-time favorite actresses. Her performance is simply superb and pretty much the best female performance I have seen in her year (still have to see Swank's in Boys don't cry, though). Winona Ryder delivers as well, but Jolie clearly steals her show in this one. The movie can get slightly depressing at times and gives you a fair insight into the happenings inside of psychiatric clinics. In that topic it certainly pales in comparison with One Flew over Cuckoo's Nest, but it is still decent on its. I would have prefered more character development for the supporting cast and the pacing was a bit off at times, but the movie certainly got its message home, in my opinion. Not a movie I would like to rewatch anytime soon, yet well-made.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

The highlight of this movie is Angelina Jolie's Oscar-winning performance as Lisa, which actually manages to (favorably) recall Jack Nicholson's role in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. A tremendous performance that elevates a movie that's just alright to a higher level. B

Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:19 am
Christian's #1 Fan

One of the few movies that actually left me speechless. Maybe it is due to the fact that I grew up with a mentally handicapped brother, or the fact that both of my parents have spent time in mental institutions, but for some reason this film just felt so engrossing from start to finish.

Angelina Jolie gives an amazing performance, well deserving of her Oscar, and Winona Ryder certainly is beyond good in her role as well. The entire supporting cast, including Whoopi Goldberg and even Brittney Murphy are all great, but definately could have used a bit more character development.

Griping from start to finish, though very heavy and somewhat depressing, it is a film that is definately highly recommended. A

Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:21 am
Devil's Advocate

Very solid and entrapping film, with the highlight being Angelina Jolie's super-performance of course. Yep, basicly what everyone else said.

Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:33 am
Forum General

Really watchable but quite uneven. I didn't think the exploration of Winona Ryder's character was successful at all, which should have been priority. And each character seemed to me as if the filmmakers were just trying to cover all their mental institution character bases, turning pretty much everyone into a caricature.

Angelina Jolie is really great here but I think even she overdoes it a little. I think the climax of the film where she has that "WHY WON'T ANYBODY PUSH MY BUTTONS!!!" line is really bad.

C+

Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:48 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I haven't seen it since it came out. I couldn't stand it, although the film does have great performances by Ryder and Jolie. Pretty much after those two, the film was unwatchable. I should probably see it again.

C-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

One of those movies where I just let it go, and it takes me to a place that makes me shake. Haunting stuff!

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:47 pm
Teh Mexican

i need to see it again, but i really really liked it! My favorite Angelina Jolie movie, well deserved Oscar!

A-

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:52 pm
Some days I'm a super bitch

Jolie's performance was the stand-out, but I think Ryder was underrated. The film was engaging as well, and I agree with getluv: it was haunting.

A-

Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

A-

great watch :smile:

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

This is an awsome film, I've only seen about 5 Winona Ryder movies and this one is the best by far

I'll see if its still #1 after I see Heathers

A

Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:09 am
life begins now

A decent movie that, like so many people have noted, is lifted by Angelina Jolie's amazing performance.

B

Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:06 pm
Profile YIM
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Girl, Interrupted
Angelina has a career because of this movie. She may be nothing more than Sex Symbol now, but she was amazing in this movie. The supporting cast, or should I say lead of Winonna was good too.

It's no Cookoo's Nest or Awakenings, but this movie was a good watch.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]