Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Amores perros 

What grade would you give this film?
A 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Amores perros 
College Boy Z

Post Amores perros
Amores perros

Quote:
Amores perros is a 2000 neorealist Mexican film, directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu. Amores Perros is the first movie in Iñárritu's trilogy of death, and was followed by 21 Grams and Babel. It is a triptych; an anthology film, sometimes referred to as the "Mexican Pulp Fiction," containing three distinct stories which are connected by a car accident in Mexico City. Each of the three tales is also a reflection on the cruelty of humans toward animals and each other, showing how they may live dark or even hideous lives. Amores Perros was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 2000 and won the Ariel Award for Best Picture from the Mexican Academy of Film. The film Amores Perros gives a clear representation of the division between classes in Mexican society, as we are shown characters from under, working and middle classes. But the film's theme is loyalty, as symbolized by the dog, "man's best friend". Dogs are important to the main characters in each of the three stories, and in each story various forms of human loyalty or disloyalty are shown; disloyalty to a brother by trying to seduce the brother's girl-friend, disloyalty to a wife by keeping a mistress with subsequent disloyalty to the mistress when she is injured and loses her beauty, loss of loyalty to youthful idealism and rediscovered loyalty to a daughter as a hit-man falls from and then attempts to regain grace.

The film was released under its Spanish title in the English-speaking world, although its title was sometimes translated as Love's a Bitch in marketing. In a 2001 interview on National Public Radio, director Iñárritu pointed out that an American English idiom, Love's a Bitch is not a satisfactory translation of the title. The soundtrack included songs by well-known Latin American rock bands, such as Café Tacuba, Control Machete and Bersuit Vergarabat.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:39 pm
Teh Mexican

i really think its one of Mexico's Best movies if not the best!

The 3 storys are FANTASTIC!, great acting especially by Gael Garcia
The movie is soOOOo depressing and yet unforgetable!!

The camara work is so cool!

BEAUTIFUL!

A

I truly recommend it, for those who havent seen it!

Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:25 pm
You must have big rats

Alejandro González Iñárritu surely knows how to depress audiences. Seriously, I have yet to encounter a director that manages to have his movies depress me in a wqy he does. I first saw 21 Grams, then a bit later this one. I can't really say which one is better. 21 Grams seems like an American Amores Perros remake, even though the plot is different, the depression and the distinct style are the same. I would say I like them about the same.

Just like in 21 Grams, I was amazed by the acting in this flick. There is not a single bad perofmance, not even a mediocre one. All the supporting cast shines, but none in this movie quite reaches the level of brilliance of Benicio del Toro in 21 Grams. What I disliked this time around as well as in 21 Grams was the way this movie was presented to the audiences. Why the weird editing? Why cutting a movie into pieces and then show all the scenes non-chronologically? I understand having separate storylines running parallely to each other and intersecting, but why the editing?

The style of the movie itself is great. The bleak and grainy cinematography mixes well with the realism of the movie which by its end is utterly depressing and downbeat. But it is virtually impossible not to appreciate the brilliance with which the direction creats this instant feeling of depression and it's impossible not to feel the pain and frustration of the main characters. My favorite storyline was of that hitman who looks like a hobo at first...

Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:05 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Maybe more folks have seen this by now...?

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Maybe more folks have seen this by now...?

Indeed.

Very solid effort, it would just about creep into my top 100 depending on mood. Those dogs scenes made me cringe though.

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:30 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Amores Perros
Not really a fan. The stories are better than Babel, but it didn't engage me the way 21 Grams did.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Amores Perros
Vastly overrated movie. I'm not an Inarritu fan at all. As much as he wants you to believe his films form some sort of coherent whole, they don't.
B-/C+

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]