Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sky High 

What grade would you give this film?
A 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 18 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 27

Sky High 
Commander and Chef

Post Sky High
Sky High

Quote:
Sky High is a 2005 American comedic superhero family film about an airborne school for teenage superheroes. It was directed by Mike Mitchell and written by Paul Hernandez, Robert Schooley, and Mark McCorkle. The starring cast includes Michael Angarano as Will, an incoming freshman at the school; Danielle Panabaker as his best friend; Kurt Russell and Kelly Preston as his parents; Mary Elizabeth Winstead as a popular senior; Steven Strait as Will's rival; and Lynda Carter as the principal. Andrew Gunn produced the film for Walt Disney Pictures.

My review here:

http://www.worldofkj.com/reviews/Arsalan/SkyHigh.php

Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

I went not wanting to go but my friend Scott wanted to see this and since it had Bruce Campbell I went somewhat willing plus Scott paid for the tickets to. I actually really liked this film it kinda sneaks up and grows on you C+

Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
I went not wanting to go but my friend Scott wanted to see this and since it had Bruce Campbell I went somewhat willing plus Scott paid for the tickets to. I actually really liked this film it kinda sneaks up and grows on you C+

just wondering.

based on your comments, the c+ grade seems abit low.

Not that it isn't nice to see a tough grader but I would have thought a film you really liked would be in the b or b- range.

no big deal - just wondering.

Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Well, damned if this wasn't easily the best superhero movie of the year, beating out such average fare as Batman Begins and even better than the very good Fantastic Four. Check out all the young actors who play students at Sky High, cause the cast list is gonna be a roll call of future stars, just as that of Fast Times at Ridgemont High turned out to be. A sharp and quirky sense of humor runs beneath the whole thing along with a really cool storyline. Highly recommended to superhero fans!

5 out 5. (A+)

Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:44 am
King Albert!

I thought it was fun, like a Disney ride, even though it was predictable.

B+

Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:09 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Typical Disney, but surprisingly, really fun. I enjoyed it. B

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:08 am
Extraordinary

Appy wrote:

just wondering.

based on your comments, the c+ grade seems abit low.

Not that it isn't nice to see a tough grader but I would have thought a film you really liked would be in the b or b- range.

no big deal - just wondering.

It seems like people are embarassed that they enjoyed this movie so much...

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:09 pm
New Server, Same X

Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:52 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I need to rent this soon. Lynda Carter shaped my sexual orientation back in the day. Cheryl Ladd did a bit, too, but Wonder Woman really introduced me to the awesomeness of what a woman is. :wub:

Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:15 pm
Wallflower

"Sky High" is easily one of the biggest surprises of the year. The trailer made the movie look "ok" at best and it reminded me a lot of the 2004 flop "Thunderbirds." But it ended up getting surprisingly good reviews and since I really like Michael Angarano (TV's Will & Grace, The Dust Factory, Little Secrets) I figured I'd rent it on DVD anyway. So I did and to my surprise it ended up being an incredibly fun and irresistible family film. It's really hard not to enjoy it. I was easily won over by its charm, which had a lot to do with its cast, in particular the leads.

Michael Angarano is so cute and likable and one of the best young actors working today. He couldn't have been more charming as Will. Relative newcomer Danielle Panabaker (I recognized her from being in a few TV movies) is a major cutie herself and I loved her and her character. I thought both Angarano and Panabaker were wonderful leads.

Before "Sky High" was released I didn't expect it to make much money at the Box Office because it just didn't look that great, but to my surprise it had a nice opening weekend and because of great reviews and word-of-mouth it ended up having excellent legs, giving it a solid gross of almost 64 Million (definitely more than most thought it would make). After having seen the movie I would have been really upset had it flopped because I would absolutely love a sequel and hope we get one, and I don't see why we wouldn't.

"Sky High" can be silly at times (the villains were really lame, but it didn't end up mattering because the rest of the movie was just so damn enjoyable) so you should expect that, but it's done on purpose (with villains this pathetic how could it not have been?) and there is a goofy spirit to the whole thing so that it doesn't end up coming off really cheesy like it might have in another movie.

"Sky High" is just such a good time. It's the best family film of the year and easily the best superhero movie of the year. It has a nice message about being yourself that I think you'll be able to relate to the most if you're gay, since Will's "coming out" to his dad as not having any powers was exactly like a kid coming out to their parent as being gay, with his dad getting angry at first and then saying maybe it's just a phase (and he'll get his powers later). I also loved the music, which was a bunch of 80s songs (though most of them are covers of 80s songs, but that didn't matter either since they sounded similar enough to the originals anyway and it was just refreshing to hear this versus whatever silly pop music happens to be popular at the time), and I loved the leads, but most of all I just loved the whole film and highly recommend it! I'll be buying it for sure!

Grade: 8/10 (A-)

Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:09 am
You must have big rats

I'm glad that people are discovering it on DVD.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:10 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

its a very fun movie to watch, a little cheesy at time but still it was great!

B+

Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:59 pm
problem?

Isawityesterdayandwow,thiswasagood,funmovie!Ihopethere'sasequel,I'ddefinitelyseeitintheatres.

Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:41 pm
---------

Funnest movie in a long time. The characters are just so likable. Plus, it has the best comic timing in years. All of the jokes are pretty subtle for a kids movie and aren't like "Oh, this part is the joke and it is very obvious." The only weak part is the supervillian's assistant, which is waay too Power Rangersy and annoying.

Grade: B+/A-

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:52 am
You must have big rats

I really hope this somehow gers a sequel. There is still lots of potential to be explored there.

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:57 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:48 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Did anyone else really dislike this? I found it really cheesy and lame most of the way through, and that damn jester-like creature was one of the worst movie characters EVER! The only reedeming qualities were the adorable Danielle Panabaker and Kelly Preston.

5/10 (C-)

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:57 am
Profile YIM
Award Winning Bastard

Did anyone else really dislike this? I found it really cheesy and lame most of the way through, and that damn jester-like creature was one of the worst movie characters EVER! The only reedeming qualities were the adorable Danielle Panabaker and Kelly Preston.

5/10 (C-)

Kelly Preston really fills out a spandex uniform well, and is still one of the hottest women on the planet.

I thought is was entertaining enough. Nothing great, but watchable and enjoyable from beginning to end.

B

Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:02 am
je vois l'avenir

Very enjoyable. It was a fun movie, never too serioud. Just Fun.

B+

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:13 pm
je vois l'avenir

I really hope that there is a sequel. It has a lot of potential

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:14 pm
Extraordinary

Just saw this on DVD. A very pleasant surprise. Kind of a X-Men meets Harry Potter meets Galaxy Quest.

The people who don't like it need to realize that it is meant to be kind of tongue-in-cheek, a bit of a satire of superheroes in the same way Galaxy Quest was for Star Trek.

I can see this being made into a Disney TV show though, and I hope it isn't, because that will kind of take away from the film...

Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:16 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Did anyone else really dislike this?

Nope - it looks like it's just you...

Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:21 am
You must have big rats

Just saw this on DVD. A very pleasant surprise. Kind of a X-Men meets Harry Potter meets Galaxy Quest.

The people who don't like it need to realize that it is meant to be kind of tongue-in-cheek, a bit of a satire of superheroes in the same way Galaxy Quest was for Star Trek.

I can see this being made into a Disney TV show though, and I hope it isn't, because that will kind of take away from the film...

I agree with you on all.

I would like to see a sequel, though.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:27 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The movie is a definition of a family-friendly, lighthearted, fun flick. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Certainly, it was very predictable, the twist was rather stupid and the characters not very fleshed out...but it was simply a whole lot of fun. While the movie borrows from several other comic books and movies, it is still pretty inventive with very nice effects and a good visual style. Moreover, the young cast acts pretty well and the actors have good chemistry. I did not feel bored for a second. The movie has enough humor and action to make one forget the clichés and the obligatory moral message at the end. Fun stuff, here's hoping for a sequel!

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:48 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I havent seen it but I did want to check it out being a big Bruce Cambell and Kurt Russell fan, and it looked like a fun little film. I'll give it a rent.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next