Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Return to Oz 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Return to Oz 
College Boy Z

Post Return to Oz
Return to Oz

Quote:
Return to Oz is a 1985 film which is an unofficial sequel to Victor Fleming's The Wizard of Oz. The film is based on the second and third Oz books, The Marvelous Land of Oz (1904) and Ozma of Oz (1907). The element about Tik-Tok being "The Royal Army of Oz" derives from Tik-Tok of Oz (1914), in which he is made the Royal Army of Oogaboo, and also makes frequent cries of "Pick me up!" That book was itself based on a dramatic production, The Tik-Tok Man of Oz (1913).

It was made by Walt Disney Pictures without the involvement of MGM, the studio that made the 1939 film. No approval was necessary, because by 1985, the Oz books on which the film was based were in the public domain, and the subsequent Oz books had been optioned to Disney many years earlier. A large fee was paid, however, to use the ruby slippers, which were still the intellectual property of MGM at the time (the rights to the 1939 film and all elements now rest with Time Warner). The film was directed by Walter Murch, a respected editor and sound designer. Although it did not fare well at the box office and received mixed reviews from critics it has gained a loyal following.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:16 am
La Bella Vito

It's been about 5 or 6 years since I have seen this, and it held up very well. Although the special effects aren't up to par with today's standards, I still found them to be very cool. This movie is very dark for kids, and I could see why a lot of them would be scared of it. From the headless witch the the rock king, its very creepy. Even the Wheelers tend to be very freaky. I liked it a lot. Although it doesn't compare to the original, its still a great substitute. I thought the acting from Fairuza Balk was very good, and the animatronics were used good. I also thought the score was beautiful. The villians are great, and all of the characters are very likeable. I had a good time, definitely one of my favorite movies.

A

Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:33 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

I don't know if I want to see this ever again because it scared the shit out of me when I was little 8-[

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:52 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Dark and Freaky,i loved every moment of this,it scared the crap out of me when i was a little kid but i still loved seeing it.Poor dorothy was insane all this time.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:47 am
Profile WWW
MISSING IN ACTION

...burn, die, and go to hell bizznitch.

Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
La Bella Vito

There was a sequel to Wizard of Oz?

I'm not so sure if it is a sequel. I would call it more of a retelling of the story. You could very well consider it a sequel though.

Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Return to Oz
Really impressed by this. So much more craft and life than eg. Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. Having a higher budget can be a curse as much as a gift.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:55 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re:
xXVincentxX wrote:
are-why-a-en wrote:
There was a sequel to Wizard of Oz?

I'm not so sure if it is a sequel. I would call it more of a retelling of the story. You could very well consider it a sequel though.

What I would call it, is an adaptation of the literary sequels rather than a sequel to the movie. They clearly were not that interested in trying to tie Dorothy or the Tinman/Scarecrow/etc. to the original film appearance wise (I haven't seen WoO in a while but the fact that they call the Tinman the Tin Woodsman in this, and the fact that the Emerald City appears much closer to Dorothy's cabin, indicates this doesn't give a crap about the WoO movie)

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:58 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Return to Oz
The only way to enjoy this film is to completely disassociate it with WOZ, cause on that level, it's fucking terrible and a chore to get through, but its almost impossible as the whole film references a lot of the original, which for some reason had better effects than this one (Or rather ones that hold up so much better.) I really don't understand why people are calling the original so much lighter. Sure it doesn't reference decapitation or other crazy shit, but there's a whole lot of weird and dark elements in the 39 film as well, told much more effectively.

Its about on par with other weird fantasy films of the 80s like Legend, Labyrinth, and Neverending Story, except more bizarre and darker. I give it marks for being pretty much the complete opposite of the 30s film, and because some effort went into it, its go a lot of things you can never do in a fantasy film anymore. But you kind of just sit their the whole time saying "what the fuck is this?"

B+ for its own stuff
F as a continuation

So I guess a C overall

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]