Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

College Boy Z

Post Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning

Quote:
Friday the 13th: A New Beginning is a 1985 slasher film. It was released on March 22, 1985. It is the fifth film in the Friday the 13th film series. Despite the previous film claiming to be the "final chapter," this installment set out to live up to its title by being a "new beginning" for the franchise.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:49 pm
George A. Romero

THis movie had the most T & A of any other in the franchise and was also one of the bloodiest, but it gets major points off due to the fact that it had "Imposter Jason" Roy Burns doing all the killings.

B-

Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:19 pm
Mod Team Leader

a non traditional but great entry in the series, 14 August 1999

*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

Warning: may be some spoilers, but if you haven't seen this movie, I have no idea why you are reading this review.

I like to think of myself as a Friday the 13th purist. I love the first four films in the series and really hate the last three. So somewhere in the middle of that scale is part 6 and this one. And while I have to admit that this one goes against everything that is Friday the 13th, it really is damn entertaining, funny and so improbable and impossible ( even for a Friday movie ) that I enjoyed this one immensely. Maybe not on the same level as the first four, but quite a bit nonetheless. You just have to get past the premise and the ridiculous idea of the killer in this one and you too may be able to enjoy it.

First of all, it has to be said, Jason is not in this one, and if you pay attention to the tag line ( If Jason still haunts you, you are not alone ) then you'll know that he's not. But some idiot takes up his legacy and decides to kill everyone because he sees his son lying in a body bag. And if you can't figure out who the killer is then you really aren't paying attention to "subtle" shots in the film. When Jason is first introduced, we see a shot of the guys leg and hands and it looks like the guy is standing identically to the way he has in all the other films. Then there is a scene where the sheriff mumbles to himself and the same guy that turns out to be Jason says " You talkin to me sheriff? " For no particular reason. So to be fair, on that level, the film is really stupid. Not to mention the fact that the guy that turns out to be Jason is probably about 5'10 and maybe weighs 200 pounds ( he is a little rotund ) where as Jsaon was probably 6'5 and 240. So the attempted similarity there is incorrect as well. Then there is the fact that this guy can do the things that Jason did. He can shatter doors just by plowing through them, he can take a chainsaw in the arm and still keep fighting like he was impervious to pain. So let's recap Jason here. He is the undead. He is perhaps spawned by Satan himself. This pretend Jason is an ambulance attendant. There is no way, NO WAY that he could do what Jason does. He would be on the floor in pain and crying for a doctor. So that makes it funny.

But having said all that, I have to admit I had fun watching this film. I was far from scared but I was very entertained. I enjoyed Tommy as a quiet, psychologically tormented teenager. I liked the idiocy of " Ma" the biker chick and her dimwitted redneck son. I liked how one guy shows up in the middle of the film for no reason, with no name and no purpose in the film except to die a short time later. I thought Pam was sexy, especially when she wore no bra on a stormy night while wearing a white see through blouse. Vic made me laugh because he was just p****d at the world and Joey was funny too. One of my favourite charcters is Damon. He meets an untimely death in an outhouse, which is a Friday the 13th staple as well. Many people have died just after doing their business and not properly cleaning themselves afterwards ( remember Harold in the 3rd and also Chuck in the 3rd ).

Friday 5 is not a true Friday the 13th in the sense that it has no Jason, but it is fun and it is worth a laugh and it has atmosphere. It is worth seeing and I think if you can sit back and just think of this as 90 minutes of fluff, then you'll have a good time watching it. It is much better than 7,8,9 but pales in comparison to the first 4. Still there is just something funny and fun about the whole thing.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re: Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning
This one gets a rough reputation, 15% on rottentomatoes, but I actually enjoyed more than most of the others in this series. They were definitely ripping off Dream Warriors, but that's a perfectly fine movie to rip off. It was nice being able to root for the kids for once (the only characters I wanted to see killed were the hillibillies) and this is the only one with a true whodunnit mystery attached (F1 is more of a twist I'd say.) Is Jason back (not likely since six is called Jason Lives)? Is it Tommy who mysteriously disappears before every kill? The answer is the most unsatisfying of all, but I get that they were trying to make a connection ot Mrs. Vorhees to reboot the franchise.

B

Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:21 pm
On autopilot for the summer

How is this a rip off of Dream Warriors?f This came out two years earlier.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:23 am
The Kramer

Well I didn’t know that. Guess I always assumed these two franchises came out around the same time. :P

The dynamic between the kids in a mental health recovery institution is what gave me the same vibes.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:43 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Yah Freddy got a late start. After 2 did bad, and Craven desperately needed a hit after 2 big flops he came back to hills have eyes and nightmare for quick cash. One was abysmal Dream warriors is arguable one of the best. By the time part 3 came out, Jason was already into part 7 and Halloween was bringing back Meyers

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]