Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives 

What grade would you give this film?
A 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

College Boy Z

Post Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives

Quote:
Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives is a 1986 slasher film, the sixth film in the Friday the 13th film series. The film was written and directed by Tom McLoughlin. Although the original concept called for Tommy Jarvis, the protagonist of parts IV and V, to become the new villain, the poor fan reception of Friday the 13th: A New Beginning prompted the producers to bring back Jason Voorhees as the series antagonist. In resurrecting Jason, McLoughlin made Jason an explicitly supernatural force for the first time in the series, depicting him as being raised from the dead via electricity; this version of Jason—a zombie serial killer rather than a mortal superhuman-- would become the standard depiction for the rest of the franchise, until 2009's reboot. The film likewise broke with many other series conventions, introducing metahumor and action movie elements including shootouts and car chases.

Despite being the lowest grossing film in the franchise to that point, it was the first film in the series since the original to receive positive critical reviews. In the years since its release its self-referential humor and numerous instances of breaking the fourth wall have been praised for prefiguring Wes Craven's Scream series and other similar 1990s horror films. As of 2003's Freddy vs. Jason, Jason Lives was a fan favorite of the series, in addition to receiving positive notice from horror film historians.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:48 pm
George A. Romero

Easily my favorite of the series. This one is so much fun, and so over the top that it makes it awesome. the death of the cemetery caretaker was priceless. "Kathleen, you're going to be the death of me!"

A+

Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:21 pm
Teenage Dream

The best of the series, by far. First apperance of "zombie" Jason, which is the best Jason. Great direction, good script, good acting, and all of the things that make an F13 movie fun to watch - gore and interesting kills. THIS is what F13 films need to be like. It's made with an overwhelming love of the series and the genre, but it also has all the hallmarks of a real live movie. A-.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:19 pm
Mod Team Leader

When I first saw the poster for the film, I was excited. It is a great atmospheric poster with its dark colours and the mask eminating light from it. I was also excited about the title. Jason Lives, that means that they are bringing him back to life and Roy will stay dead. Now, if only the film could have been as good and creepy as the first four, it would have been a great film. As it stands, this isn't as good as the first four but it kicks the hell out of the last three. So what we are left with is a passable entry in the series.

Jason comes back to life via Frankenstein tactics, which should make him even more powerful. And there are scenes in here that would support that theory. One being when one of his victims is bent over backwards and gets snapped in half. So his brutality is still alive and kicking quite nicely. But what this film is missing is the "feel" and the "texture" of the first four. And to be honest I can't really put my finger on it, but there is just an intangible missing from the sixth episode that was so prevalent in the first four. It's strange though, this film does a lot of things right. It has Jason lurking mysteriously in the background and it uses some decent shots. But it just wasn't that scary. It was entertaining and humourous and that is fine, but I don't want to see a funny Friday the 13th, just as I don't want to see a funny Nightmare On Elm Street.

The way Jason is killed in this one is actually quite good, because we are now starting to get into the folklore of Jason. What makes him tick and what can kill him. Having Tommy research the method of death is a good way to go. It's just too bad that they didn't just leave it alone after that. Or better yet, if they actually wanted to make a Jason Goes To Hell, have them go back to their roots and use the techniques that scared us back in 1980-84. Because now Jason is just a pale replica of what he once was. He hasn't quite eroded in this one, but he is coming close.

Friday VI is not a bad effort, it just could have been so much better. But hey, we will always have the others on tape.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

The only movie in the series I can honestly say I like. Pretty funny.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:59 pm
You must have big rats

Post Re: Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
B

It's fun and it's one of the better Friday the 13th installments (though probably not my favorite). In fact, the movie is pretty much the epitome of a cheesy 80s horror flick. The acting and the set-up are very B-movie-like, but thankfully the makers never forgot that either, so we get a pretty fun, bloody and self-ironic flick. I enjoyed it.

However, makeshift...good acting?! Hehe

Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

This is probably my favorite Friday the 13th flick. It's certainly the one I most like to watch -- beyond that, it's one of maybe three films in the series that is legitimately good.

Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:04 am
The Kramer

This has been my favorite of the franchise so far, including the first one. And it mostly because of the music. What a fuckin score this was, elevating every moment and making it all so cinematic instead of a cheap drive-thru murderfest. The kills are mostly fun instead of cruel, and not just targetting people who are doing drugs and having sex. Anyone is fair game for zombie Jason.

B+

Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]