Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 7

College Boy Z

Post Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

Quote:
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan is a slasher film released on July 28, 1989. It is the eighth film in the Friday the 13th film series, dealing with Jason Voorhees stalking a group of high school graduates in New York City, and the last film in the series to have been distributed by Paramount Pictures in the United States (the 2009 reboot of the first film was distributed by Paramount in non-US countries). The film's tagline is, "New York has a new problem." It took in just $14.3 million at the domestic box office, making it the lowest grossing film in the series.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:47 pm
George A. Romero

My second least favorite of the franchise. This movie had the potential to be awesome, but it flutters due to the fact that they only spend about 10-15 minutes actually in New York. The cool toxic waste ending redeems it though.

C+

Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:24 pm
Teenage Dream

OH MY GOD. Not only the worst of the series (and that's saying something), but one of the worst films ever made. Jason only "takes" Manhattan for about five minutes (about the worst damage he does is throwing a stereo to the ground), and the rest of the film is contained on a "luxurious" cruise liner where we get to spend an hour and a half with characters that were dated the second they came off the script page. Have you ever wanted to witness a film come to a screeching hault so a person can play air guitar for two minutes? Here's your movie. There's nothing in this film, other than Jason's presence, that would even tip you off to this being a F13 movie. No blood. No decent kills (unless a guitar to the head is up your alley). No creativity. Nothing. F.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:45 pm
George A. Romero

one thing i have always wondered about is...why, when he gets to new york, does he continue to chase renee and sean and not just start killing random people on the street? i mean, is it part of jason's job description that he has to follow through on killing people he's been stalking for a while? that really made no sense to me. also, i love how he magically gets new clothes at the beginning of part 8 after having his clothes almost completely shredded and burned off after part 7.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:00 pm
Teenage Dream

one thing i have always wondered about is...why, when he gets to new york, does he continue to chase renee and sean and not just start killing random people on the street? i mean, is it part of jason's job description that he has to follow through on killing people he's been stalking for a while? that really made no sense to me.

Hehe. Budget restraints forced Jason into being the creepy guy that follows you around town.

I notice that happens quite often with the F13 films, though. The ideas are much bigger than the budget will allow. Jason X is a prime example of this.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:03 pm
La Bella Vito

I watched this on HBO, and it was just horrible. Definitely the worst of the series. I just thought it was incredibly cheesy and stupid. Jason looks ridiculous stalking his victims in Manhattan, and it really takes away from the atmosphere of Camp Crystal Lake. They should of left his character there, where he belongs.

F

Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

The worst in the series and one of the worst films of alltime.And Jason having Teleportation powers was just ridiculous.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:05 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

I am a rally big fan of the series. I liked the first, fell in love with the second, third and fourth, loved the fifth even though it was really dumb and thought the sixth was an honest effort. The seventh was bad but the eighth sinks to an all time low when it comes to the adventures of Jason Voorhees. The first thing that is wrong with this is the title. Jason Takes Manhatten. Jason is not supposed to be in the city, he is not scary there. He is supposed to be in the woods away from civilization where he can terrorize unsuspecting kids in the forest or at a cottage. By putting him in the city it takes away the element of fear but more than that, it makes you question how any of these people could die. Hello, New York is one of the biggest cities in the world, how hard can it be to get away? Could you imagine Indiana Jones in the same world that The Matrix took place in? Kind of hard isn't it?

There is no suspence, no terror, no wondering or caring about who is going to live. There is just idiocy. And I know the Friday's are famous for their lack of continuity but please, how could that girl have possibly been attacked by Jason when she was a kid? That is almost as bad as Chris' story from the third one ( remember the story about the hideous looking man that attacked her in the woods and then she passes out and wakes up in her bed ). This is just plain bad. Really bad. There was not one character that I really cared about and I was actually hoping that they would die, all of them. What this Friday does is takes all that is good and creepy about the great ones and throws that out the window and tries to reinvent horror standards. My gosh, it had only been nine years since the first came out when this one was made, is it really that hard to follow some of the original formula? This is an abomination and a disgrace and even though I really didn't think part 9 was much better, I'm glad that it pretended that part 8 didn't exist. What a terrible film and a bad bad bad bad bad Friday the 13th entry!!!

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
Lol, I never really watched these movies uncut before, but my god, if this movie isn't so hysterical at how bad it is. I mean, This Jason watches this kid climb a 50 ft ship mast, then he takes a breath and Jason is right there. The Characters are terrible, but I laughed throughout. Oh and the sewer scene was awesome? I didnt know toxic waste ran through the entire New York Sewer system at midnight after day.

This series has never even been ok in my opinion, but Im going to start to rewatch the others too, just to see if I can laugh as much.

D+ For the sheer ridculousness, implausability and unintentional humor throughout.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:11 am
Extraordinary

F

In the running for my least favorite film of all time.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:02 am
The Kramer

Ew, sorry but this one lives up to its reputation for being trash. Even trashier than its depiction of New York, which Jason doesn't actually take until the very end of the movie. Until then it's bad acting, generic kills and really over the top 80s nonsense. Like a SyFy take on Friday the 13th. Some of its funny, and I like that the dog lived, but overall this is a turd.

F+

Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:38 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Ooh F+ ;)

Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]