Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Nomadland 

Rate this film:
A 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Nomadland 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Nomadland
Quote:
Nomadland is a 2020 American drama film directed by Chloé Zhao, who also wrote, edited, and co-produced. It stars Frances McDormand, David Strathairn, Linda May, Charlene Swankie, and Bob Wells. The film is based on the 2017 non-fiction book Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century by Jessica Bruder, and follows a woman who leaves her small town to travel around the American Midwest.

The film had its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival on September 11, 2020, where it received widespread critical acclaim and won the Golden Lion. It is scheduled to be released on December 4, 2020, by Searchlight Pictures.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:19 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Nomadland
Certain scenes are absolutely hypnotic, particularly the lived-in sequences with McDormand and her neighbors that feature crackling dialogue. The cinematography is also gorgeous. The film feels a bit pedestrian in terms of narrative and isn't anything we haven't seen before, but it's definitely a transfixing experience. Not sure it's McDormand's best but she's very good here. B+

Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:07 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87244

Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:30 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

Merging threads. Dil can use this one instead

Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:15 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I can understand why this movie is getting praise but like cory I felt most of the movie is very pedestrian and fails to leave a mark. Yes there are scenes specially with people leaving when its heartbreaking but it does not carry emotions with the central character to leave its mark. The backdrops are amazing as well and the interactions are always meaningful which is also why you feel when these side characters leave. I loved McDormand and I think she should be good for award nominations (but Mulligan deserves it this year).

B

Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:55 am
Forum General

I really enjoyed this and its not my usual kind of movie, but Frances McDormand's fantastic perfromance kept me enagaged, especially in her scenes with David Strathairn. There are some really gorgeous visuals aswell, but its not exactly something that you haven't seen before and I doubt I would ever re-watch it.

B+

Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:31 pm
The Kramer

I very much respect everything this movie did well. The gritty realness of the world building, a moving score, Frances McDormand and most of all the breathtaking scenary she encounters along the way (especially dem tracking shots.) Did my interest in the story fade and return a hundred different times? Yeah, it's a movie that is easily distracted from. Sometimes it is even outright boring. Overall a very solid watch though.

B+ - which is great in a nutshell, though a little disapointing for what is considered the best picture favorite. Still way better than its supposed competition this year; Suckago 7 and Mehnk.

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:02 pm
Wallflower

I'm going to go see this in a theater Sunday. I'm not excited for it but I feel like the cinematography will be worth seeing it on the big screen. I'm also worried if I watch it at home I'll be way too distracted and find myself pausing it. I'd rather see it in a theater without distractions.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:09 am
Wallflower

A very nice film. I did not expect to like it as much as I did. I do think it helped big time seeing this in a theater. The cinematography is beautiful so it was worth it for that alone. But it really did allow for me to get more involved in the story than I likely would have been otherwise. McDormand is great as usual. I do feel she could give this performance in her sleep so I'm really not wanting her to get another Oscar for it but it would likely be in my top 5 leading female performances of the year.

Anyway I don't have too much to say about it. It's a nice slice of life movie. Not one I'll likely ever watch again but I very much enjoyed watching it once.

B+

Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:08 am
Keeping it Light

I found this very good, on the one hand it feels simple, but it just makes effective use of score, cinematography and actors that it delivers something quite excellent. It tells an American story with a lot of authenticity and it stands out as one of the more beautiful films of the year that way for me.

A-

Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:44 am
KJ's Most Embarssing Misspeller

Easily going to become the most forgettable BP winner since The Artist.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus is the fucking voice of reason.
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:48 am
Extraordinary

Agreed lol I mean it was decent but hardly anything worth winning BP over.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:59 am
The Kramer

The Artist > Birdman, Moonlight, Green Book, The Shape of Water, The King’s Speech and Nomadland.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:10 pm
The Kramer

One good thing about Nomadland winning is that atleast its unique and defined on its own merits rather than just being a film that reminds the voters of movies they liked when they were younger.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:17 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
The Artist > Birdman, Moonlight, Green Book, The Shape of Water, The King’s Speech and Nomadland.

Imagine it's still forgetful lol

Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:05 pm
Sbil

Magnus wrote:

are you aware green book and the shape of water exist

1. Parasite
2. Spotlight
3. Nomadland
4. Moonlight
5. 12 Years a Slave
6. Argo
7. Birdman
8. The Artist
9. Green Book
10. The Shape of Water

YMMV

Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:16 am
KJ's Most Embarssing Misspeller

im not talking about quality of the film; Green Book is easily the worst BP winner since Crash and one of the worst ever.

But Green Book had more relevance as a mediocre film than Nomadland will have as a good film. hell, its been a day and no one even gives a shit it won since they're just talking about the clusterfuck of the ending.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus is the fucking voice of reason.
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:24 pm
The Kramer

Libs wrote:
Magnus wrote:

are you aware green book and the shape of water exist

1. Parasite
2. Spotlight
3. Nomadland
4. Moonlight
5. 12 Years a Slave
6. Argo
7. Birdman
8. The Artist
9. Green Book
10. The Shape of Water

YMMV
Parasite, Argo and half of The Shape of Water (had to turn it off cause I was bored) are the only ones on this list I have watched more than once. Pretty sad. Our KJ winners are always so much better. Probably won't ever watch Nomadland a second time, but again, I at least give it points for being different.

Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:43 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I found this profoundly affecting. Such a transporting, meditative reflection on grief and the simple, messy, tragic yet ineffable beauty of life. I was a leaky, snotty faucet of emotion for a lot of this, even some of the scenic shots + piano music had me crying.

Second favorite movie of the year for me after Soul. And I maintain that the best way to see a movie is having had no exposure to trailers / reviews beforehand. I was not expecting this movie to hit me like it did.

A

Fri May 07, 2021 8:51 am
The Kramer

Since we don’t have a thread for it I will post my review for The Rider here.

It’s a huge bummer.

B- for the authenticity, intimacy and cinematography though. I may not love Chloe’s depressing stories but her style is undeniable.

Fri May 07, 2021 1:40 pm
Devil's Advocate

It feels like they could have just made a documentary talking to these people but then decided to just build enough of a fictional movie around them. That's fine but it's just not why I watch movies. I don't really understand what Fern gets out of the nomadland lifestyle since she seems so sad and traumatized the whole time, it made me wonder why she didn't just work at a campground for 6 months or something since that's when she seemed to be having fun. The movie idolizes the nomad lifestyle too much to open to the possibility that Fern is a crazy idiot, for example why not have some drama by making her actually get stuck in the middle of nowhere without a spare starving for a day instead of having someone help her immediately and just warning her not to do that again - or make her get dangerously sick after she sleeps in the van in the cold. It's also telling that some of the best parts are when nobody is talking and it's just the score+Frances, I think Chloe the screenwriter may be lacking. Worse than Into the Wild, better than Wendy and Lucy. A nomination is one thing but Best Picture winner? Delegitimizes the whole category. I wish I didn't watch this so I could pretend 2020 Oscar race didn't happen.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]